Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > SC/SL/SW
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 02:16 PM   #1
my94baby
AF Newbie

94 Twin Cam Temp Sensor Lt Goes On and Off

Hello!

I am posting this in two places (here and saturnfans), just fyi. I know zip about cars and I could really use the input. I really appreciate any input.

So, my 94 Twin Cam (which has been behaving sooooo well for a long time now that I'm getting that shoe-drop feeling... ): lately, the temp guage sensor light(?) goes on if I push hard-ish on the gas, or if I'm going up a hill (which is probably when I push hard on gas), sometimes if I just make a turn.

It blinks for a while, then it stops. The actual temperature never seems to be doing anything when this happens, and I am pretty good about making sure there's oil.

What does this probably mean? My car has been through a lot and I am pretty sure that the original temp gauge/sensor is long gone... but then again, I have seen reference to there being two things that are sort of similar?

Plus, even if it's been replaced, that doesn't mean the new one hasn't gone wonky.

Does this sound serious, or easy to fix?

I love my mechanics but they are very busy and sometimes I feel like they'd rather I just wait until something breaks in dramatic fashion, since then it is easier to figure out the problem (rather than when I go in early in the problem and I give them this vague, probably misleading explanation of funny sounds and then they can't find what it is -- all of which from a business perspective makes perfect sense).

But if it's an easy fix I will take it in next week so I can stop worrying.

Your advice is appreciated! And, happy holidays too!
my94baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:41 PM   #2
Ruley73
AF Enthusiast

Re: 94 Twin Cam Temp Sensor Lt Goes On and Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by my94baby View Post
Hello!

I am posting this in two places (here and saturnfans), just fyi. I know zip about cars and I could really use the input. I really appreciate any input.

So, my 94 Twin Cam (which has been behaving sooooo well for a long time now that I'm getting that shoe-drop feeling... ): lately, the temp guage sensor light(?) goes on if I push hard-ish on the gas, or if I'm going up a hill (which is probably when I push hard on gas), sometimes if I just make a turn.

It blinks for a while, then it stops. The actual temperature never seems to be doing anything when this happens, and I am pretty good about making sure there's oil.

What does this probably mean? My car has been through a lot and I am pretty sure that the original temp gauge/sensor is long gone... but then again, I have seen reference to there being two things that are sort of similar?

Plus, even if it's been replaced, that doesn't mean the new one hasn't gone wonky.

Does this sound serious, or easy to fix?

I love my mechanics but they are very busy and sometimes I feel like they'd rather I just wait until something breaks in dramatic fashion, since then it is easier to figure out the problem (rather than when I go in early in the problem and I give them this vague, probably misleading explanation of funny sounds and then they can't find what it is -- all of which from a business perspective makes perfect sense).

But if it's an easy fix I will take it in next week so I can stop worrying.

Your advice is appreciated! And, happy holidays too!
Check your coolant level. Also inspect the coolant reservoir for signs of the coolant boiling over and replace the cap if necessary. Heck, you might even replace the cap anyways since they are so cheap. Make sure the temp gauge is working fine. If the temp needle immediately indicates the engine is warmed up just after a cold start after the engine was sitting overnight, then the coolant temp sensor is bad.

"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!"
- Steve Smith (Red)
Ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:47 PM   #3
my94baby
AF Newbie

Ruley73 - thank you so much!!!!
Old 12-07-2016, 09:18 PM   #4
my94baby
AF Newbie

Just to let you know... it does seem to have been the coolant level, bc I added some and the light's not blinking anymore -- hurrah!!

Now apparently I have to take it in and have my mechanics tell me why it got low, in case something is leaking.

Thanks again for your help!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > SC/SL/SW