Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Engine, Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engine, Transmission and Drivetrain Discuss Engine, Transmission, Drivetrain, and all other performance modifications here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
donidavis
AF Newbie

Want to turbo a 96 Eclipse 2.0 non turbo

Hey i am wanting to turbo my 96 eclipse 2.0 non turbo. I am trying to find out everything i need and to do to get it turbod. what is a good turbo and parts would be good to get?
donidavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b
Re: Want to turbo a 96 Eclipse 2.0 non turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by donidavis View Post
Hey i am wanting to turbo my 96 eclipse 2.0 non turbo. I am trying to find out everything i need and to do to get it turbod. what is a good turbo and parts would be good to get?
There are lots of questions before anyone can answer this...
What are your goals?
Is it being a street car or full drag setup?
How much are you willing to spend?
Do you know how to turbo the 420a?
How many miles are on the motor?
What condition is the motor in? (compression test)
Are you ready for the headaches that come with turboing a nonturbo car?

As far as a basic setup for the 420a, you will need:
-Turbo (something small for quick spool).
-Log manifold
-Wastegate
-Blow off valve
-Some sort of fuel controller (SFMU or FMU)
-Fuel Pump (at least 190hp)
-Piping and Intercooler
-Custom downpipe

All this will cost you about $1000 or so for decent products. Somethings you don't want to go cheap on, like the wastegate or BOV. I personally used a Tial WG (~$200) and a 1G BOV (~$25). Fuel pump was a Walbro 255 and I did all my own welding for the downpipe and wastegate piping. It's all very doable.

However, if your motor has high miles, smokes, has bad compression... any thing like that, a turbo will put extra stress on the motor and you'll be doing a rebuild soon. The MAX you can go on the stock block is about 8psi. Anything more, you're guaranteed to blow it.

75 Monte Carlo
SBC 400 6.6L, Aluminum heads, Hurricane Intake...

12 Chevy Sonic 1LZ 1.8L - Traded
01 Pontiac Grand Am SE - RIP
95 Eagle Talon ESi-T 5spd - RIP
88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera- RIP
david-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
donidavis
AF Newbie

What are your goals? My goal is to have a strong Eclipse that i can drive and put on the track a few times. im wanting HP.

Is it being a street car or full drag setup? it is going to be a street car.

How much are you willing to spend? im willing to spend about 2000 right now.

Do you know how to turbo the 420a? Not really my father in law does but i always like to know something about the project were working on so i can learn better.

How many miles are on the motor? The motor has about 25000 miles on it.

What condition is the motor in? (compression test) It is in great shape it runs very strong.

Are you ready for the headaches that come with turboing a nonturbo car? Haha!! Yes i am! I love to learn new stuff and challenging things.

ok... whats if i wanna get more PSI? what would i have to do to my engine? New pistons, Cam gears? and whats a good turbo that i can google and learn more about?
Old 11-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
donidavis
AF Newbie

What is a Aculator?
Old 11-30-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse

Most log manifolds are T3 so look for something that is T3 flanged. Tons of used turbos on ebay pretty cheap. Some addvice, dont go cheap on fuel system and keep the boost at 8psi max. Also get a wideband o2.

If you want more power you will need to build the motor. Forged pistons and rods at the min. To be honest its really more work than its worth and you are better starting with a turbo car.
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD
SilvrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:25 AM   #6
donidavis
AF Newbie

ok thanks... i think im going to get this other engine i have built with new pistons and get it bored out. but thanks for the advice... what kind of turbo timer would you use?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #7
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by donidavis View Post
ok thanks... i think im going to get this other engine i have built with new pistons and get it bored out. but thanks for the advice... what kind of turbo timer would you use?
Turbo timers are a waste of money. The just keep the engine running for at least 10 seconds after you shut the car off to let the turbo cool down some. The only time you ever need that is if you were literally boosting, then shut off the car the second you took your foot off the gas. Some do have voltage readings and some other readouts which are nice, but still a waste IMO. I did have a cheap $15 ebay unit which worked the life I had the car.

SilvrEclipse was right with what he said; log manifolds have a t3 flange on them. Can find them on ebay for about $130. Used t3 or t3/t4 hybrids can be found cheap.

To go higher than 8psi, you will need to build the bottom end. The top end (head) is actually a great setup to begin with. You can always do cams and such, but that can all get pricey very quick if you have a small budget. $2000 is plenty of money to build the bottom and turbo. For anything higher than 8psi, you will need some sort of piggyback/standalone ECU. Most 420a people like myself and Silvr use MegaSquirt. Very in depth and lots of options. But takes some know-how and lots of learning.

Long story short, $2000 will let you build the bottom end and turbo it, and have it ready for high HP, but won't exactly get you there out of the box. Add another $1000 or so, and then you'd be able to hit high power.

If you're looking for a rod/piston combo, I have a set which only has 300 miles on them. Eagle rods, Weisco pistons; just would need new rings, which would cost ~$100 from Weisco and bearings. The block would have to be bored 0.040" over, but that's doable.

75 Monte Carlo
SBC 400 6.6L, Aluminum heads, Hurricane Intake...

12 Chevy Sonic 1LZ 1.8L - Traded
01 Pontiac Grand Am SE - RIP
95 Eagle Talon ESi-T 5spd - RIP
88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera- RIP
david-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #8
donidavis
AF Newbie

ok that is some great information! thank you and i will let yall know what i decide to do. Thank you!!