Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
rs6er
AF Newbie

Parking Brake Actuator Lever Question

Is it possible to replace the lever connecting the rear parking brake cable to the parking brake actuator in the hub (the little splined wheel that used to adjust the parking brakes) without removing the brake backing plate (and therefore removing the axle).

John
2001 Suburban 1500 AWD 5.3L
rs6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: Parking Brake Actuator Lever Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs6er View Post
Is it possible to replace the lever connecting the rear parking brake cable to the parking brake actuator in the hub (the little splined wheel that used to adjust the parking brakes) without removing the brake backing plate (and therefore removing the axle).

John
2001 Suburban 1500 AWD 5.3L

the rear backing plate can be cut so it is in two pieces. this eliminates the need of axle removal. I did this many years ago when the OEM heat shield backing plates rusted because GM painted over the rusted metal .. causing these to be useless..

why does the park brake dog ear need replacement ?

what do you mean USED TO ADJUST THE PARK BRAKE SHOES ?
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
rs6er
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
the rear backing plate can be cut so it is in two pieces. this eliminates the need of axle removal. I did this many years ago when the OEM heat shield backing plates rusted because GM painted over the rusted metal .. causing these to be useless..

why does the park brake dog ear need replacement ?

what do you mean USED TO ADJUST THE PARK BRAKE SHOES ?
As I understand it, I the answer to my question is no, unless I cut the backing plate. I replaced the backing plates about a year ago by removing the axles. Before I installed them, I used every Eastman rust preventative coating under the sun to prevent them from rusting out again, so I am not anxious to cut one of them (the right one) up.

The dog ear needs to be replaced because it is no longer there. Not sure how that happened, but it did. I am also having a hard time finding a replacement without buying an AC Delco hardware kit for $65 from an aftermarket supplier (the dealer wanted $130!). I did a junk yard search but couldn't come up with one.

If I did cut the one off that is on there now, I would replace it with a 2-piece one that Dorman makes.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs6er View Post
As I understand it, I the answer to my question is no, unless I cut the backing plate. I replaced the backing plates about a year ago by removing the axles. Before I installed them, I used every Eastman rust preventative coating under the sun to prevent them from rusting out again, so I am not anxious to cut one of them (the right one) up.

The dog ear needs to be replaced because it is no longer there. Not sure how that happened, but it did. I am also having a hard time finding a replacement without buying an AC Delco hardware kit for $65 from an aftermarket supplier (the dealer wanted $130!). I did a junk yard search but couldn't come up with one.

If I did cut the one off that is on there now, I would replace it with a 2-piece one that Dorman makes.
I guess I was not clear with my explaination..the OEM heat shields did not need to be cut to be removed as they where very very rusted..basicly fell off..

bought new heat shields , cut new shields so they are now 2 pieces. mounted the heat shields with no axle removal..coated the shields with rusfre brush on undercoating compound. no problems..

since you are aware of these 2 piece heat shields that are available, copy the design and do it..

operating with only one parking brake for a time is no big deal..soon the scrap yard will have the part you need.

so the scraping noise was the park brake shoe adjuster ...?
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
rs6er
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
I guess I was not clear with my explaination..the OEM heat shields did not need to be cut to be removed as they where very very rusted..basicly fell off..

bought new heat shields , cut new shields so they are now 2 pieces. mounted the heat shields with no axle removal..coated the shields with rusfre brush on undercoating compound. no problems..

since you are aware of these 2 piece heat shields that are available, copy the design and do it..

operating with only one parking brake for a time is no big deal..soon the scrap yard will have the part you need.

so the scraping noise was the park brake shoe adjuster ...?
I did understand what you meant. I'm not sure I could cut one off and reuse it in a 2-piece configuration. It would be a lot easier to cut one when it is off the car. In any case, I can get a 2-piece Dorman for about $14. No point in doing that until I can find a dog ear though.

The dog ear was missing from the right side. That wasn't the side that was making the noise.

While I have you, I got a hardware kit (without the dog ear). I can't figure out where the piece whose picture I have attached goes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clip.jpg (5.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 06-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
gandolf567
AF Newbie

Hello. I am in the same exact situation as you. I know its been a while, but can you share your solution? I'm having trouble locating this little lever as well. Was the little lever all you needed? And how does it install? Thank you.
gandolf567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
rs6er
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandolf567 View Post
Hello. I am in the same exact situation as you. I know its been a while, but can you share your solution? I'm having trouble locating this little lever as well. Was the little lever all you needed? And how does it install? Thank you.
I never got it. I know it's part of a Delco kit from the dealer.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
gandolf567
AF Newbie

Thanks. You're right. I just got it. It was a parking brake and hardware kit. It's kinda dumb that they won't sell the lever individually.
gandolf567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
rs6er
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandolf567 View Post
Thanks. You're right. I just got it. It was a parking brake and hardware kit. It's kinda dumb that they won't sell the lever individually.
I think you have to take the brakes, etc. off to install it. Keep us posted.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #10
slider85
AF Newbie

Ever complete this repair? I am contemplating it after just dealing with it for several years.
slider85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:04 AM   #11
rs6er
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider85 View Post
Ever complete this repair? I am contemplating it after just dealing with it for several years.
I purchased the Delco kit and had a mechanic complete the repair while he was doing rear calipers and rotors.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #12
slider85
AF Newbie

Do you have a part number for the kit?
slider85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #13
rs6er
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider85 View Post
Do you have a part number for the kit?
I'm pretty sure I bought it from Rockauto but can't find the invoice or the item on their website.