Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Sebring | Sebring Coupe | Convertible
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #16
stuckwithone
AF Newbie

Re: Chrysler 2.7L Engine Problems

I just bought a 2006 Chrysler Sebring with the 2.7L engine and 134k. I had it for less than two weeks when apparently it overheated with no temp gauge indication or signs whatsoever. I shut it off because it started acting sluggish. Then it wouldn't start- maybe a "too hot" sensor? Turns out there was a hairline crack in the thermostat housing that leaked coolant when it heated up. Now I'm looking at a possible spun bearing and or some other internal repair. Still runs but makes awful noise above 35mph. Mechanic says new engine needed at $6K!! Probably just tear it apart and fix it myself. No regret here
stuckwithone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #17
butchz
AF Newbie

2002 2.7 sebring could a bad oil pressure switch cause fans not to work if i pull fan relay fans will start replaced temp censer no change
butchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:38 PM   #18
stuckwithone
AF Newbie

Been a while since I posted here. I've since had my engine replace with a new one by the dealer. Cheapest way to go! With regular oil changes/maintenance, I expect to get lots of mileage out of it! Enjoying this car now.

Butchz, you might check out this link: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Chrysler-...ng-cooling.htm

I'm no expert with this car. I don't think an oil pressure switch would cause cooling fan issues though.
stuckwithone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuckwithone For This Useful Post:
butchz (07-12-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #19
46streetrod
AF Newbie

I owned a 02 Sebring w/ a 2.7 engine in it. I bought the car about 2 months ago from a selller on craigslist. Mistake number one. After only driving it for 3 weeks it ran hot. Found a crack in the sensor housing so I replaced that. No big deal I thought. A couple of days after that the engine started losing water everytime it was driven. Water pump went out. I take it to the repair shop for a waterpump and a seeping oilpan gasket plus oil sending unit. Repairs were made and the shop calls on the day I was to pick it up to tell me something else was wrong with the engine. Boiling water out each time they tried to fill it. Headgasket now. Shop has a good used late model engine with 42k mile on it. Replacing my engine would now cost $2300.00. Already agree to the $1000.00 for replacing the water, etc. but the shop is willing to knock off 500 bucks bringing the total now down to $1800.00. Shop agreed to take the new parts from my engine and put all in the used engine and do the swap. They will guarranty the engine and repairs for 90 days.
Should have listened to my son in law when he told me NOT to buy the car with the 2.7. Its junk!!! Its a money pit. Now we have too much money in this car to sale it so we're stuck.
46streetrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #20
unhappy camper
AF Newbie

Thumbs down Re: Chrysler 2.7L Engine Problems

I bought this car in a rush mistake #1 before buying I took this car to a new mechanic I was still testing out mistake #2. His exact words "this is a great car very well maintained etc etc. " haven't had any serious problems out of it yet other then the fact that it drinks oil on the hwy and I'm not talkin sip put in a little oil on roadtrips NO I mean carry 5 qts of oil at all times. On top of the getting oil changed every 2000 miles. Went to sell the car before anything seious happens to carmax and color me surprised they said it was an awesome ride and offered me $1000. Now I would be stoked except for the fact that less then 6 months earlier payed a little over double for it. Its a fun car to drive until it goes belly up with no warning and turns into the worlds biggest paper weight.
unhappy camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #21
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

Old thread I know but one of the secrets of getting a lot of miles out of these engines is regular water pump replacement every 70,000 miles. My sister-in-law has had 243,000 miles of good service out of her 02 Sebring, along with proper maintenance of course.
jamesslcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #22
rpdenney
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesslcx View Post
Old thread I know but one of the secrets of getting a lot of miles out of these engines is regular water pump replacement every 70,000 miles. My sister-in-law has had 243,000 miles of good service out of her 02 Sebring, along with proper maintenance of course.
I agree. I have a 2003 Sebring Convertible, and it has 181k miles. I have not had any major issues. I have changed the oil every 3-5k.

However, my engine just started knocking, and it appears I may have a spun bearing. Anyone have a good source for reasonably priced 2.7L convertible engines?
rpdenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #23
Ironhorse59
AF Newbie

I bought a 2006 Chrysler Sebring with the 2.7L engine and 300k. I had it for less than six months when apparently it overheated with no temp gauge indication or signs whatsoever. I shut it off because it started acting sluggish. Then it wouldn't start- maybe a "too hot" sensor? Turns out there was a hairline crack in the thermostat housing that leaked coolant when it heated up hat was found by the second mechanic and a thousand dollars. Everything seemed to work fine then winter came and I have no heat until I get over 100kmh and the windows frost up.I had the thermostat changed twice.
Ironhorse59 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Sebring | Sebring Coupe | Convertible