Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Aurora
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 06:31 PM   #1
clksaurora
AF Newbie

Unhappy Headlight assembly removal

Does anyone know how to remove the whole passenger side headlight. While trying to change the low beam headlight the bulb broke off the in the housing...now it just rolling around in there. Any help would be great!

1998 Oldsmobile Aurora
Clarksville, TN
clksaurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:24 PM   #2
jim56
AF Regular

you have to drop the front bumper.............I had to do it on my 97...wasnt as bad as it sounds.... ill have to see if i can find the instructions I had printed out.i do remember , you have to remove the plastic inner fender to get to the bolts ..
jim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:07 PM   #3
97 silverbullet
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to 97 silverbullet Send a message via Yahoo to 97 silverbullet
Re: Headlight assembly removal

i never had to drop the front bumper i was able to get it all but It was a pain in the butt.

Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book.
-- Ronald Reagan

"I wrote a book"
--Bill Clinton
97 silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 04:00 PM   #4
newoldsguy
AF Newbie

Re: Headlight assembly removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by clksaurora
Does anyone know how to remove the whole passenger side headlight. While trying to change the low beam headlight the bulb broke off the in the housing...now it just rolling around in there. Any help would be great!

1998 Oldsmobile Aurora
Clarksville, TN
It is easy to replace headlights on 2001 Aurora 3.5. Hopefully yours is similar. Standing in front of the vehicle, as you look down on the engine, you will see two bolt heads just a few inches beyond the headlight assembly.

The bolt heads fit a 10 mm wrench. Each head is rather shiny and metallic looking and has a washer that you can see. (once you remove the bolt, you will determine that the washer and bolt are connected).

These bolts fasten into a bracket that runs the length of the grill. There are several other bolts that also hold in the bracket but you only need to remove the two shiny ones that are right behind the headlight assembly. You do not need to remove the entire bracket.

One of the bolts you remove is very long and the other is short. Once they are removed, the entire headlight assembly comes out with just a little prompting. Then you will have easy access to all the lamps that fit into that assembly.

Because these lamps are halogen, you should use thin rubber or plastic gloves when handling the new ones. The oil from our skin can substantially shorten their life.

These instructions apply to both the driver and passenger sides. Estimated time of completion: 2 minutes, including one minute to find the screw I dropped.
newoldsguy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Aurora