Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Century
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 11:21 PM   #1
dreager
AF Regular

Angry Intake gasket gone wrong

Hey all,

I have read most of the threads on this issue.

Car was running but leaking with no codes/bad sensors before replacing the Intake manifold gasket.
I took the injector rail off in one piece attached to the intake (didn't pull the injectors.) Replaced with Mahle premium kit containing plenum and intake gaskets.(Did not replace rocker gaskets)

Got it back together with no fluid leaks. I bled the cooling system 4 times at thermostat housing and coolant pipe, heater "on" inside. Start it up and it stalls backfires,lopes at idle and cuts out.Try that 4- 5 times and turn off, or it stalls. Start again and keep my foot on pedal to hold idle and it starts loping at around a very high 4-5 k revs roughly.Take foot of pedal and it continues on it's own...loping till I have to manually turn it off.I thought the throttle cable had jammed up so I pushed on it to no effect, my engine is possessed.I also found the last connector I had was for the crank sensor to coilpack had 2 holes but on the coil the slot had 3 holes?? I do a code read and I get a P0100 = MAF, P0305= misfire Cyl 5.

I realized early on the stalling,loping may be a vacuum leak,but the sudden rise in revs holding at 4-5k revs has me baffled.(It also has auto-starter) Would leaky rocker cover/EGR gaskets cause this?I got a bit of dirt in fuel regulator hole which I tried to suck out.

I plan on disking battery tomorrow to clear codes and using WD40 to locate leaks at gaskets and hoses.

** Hint: No need to take off rockers. Use a small jaw but long handled wrench and push up on the front of them. Not worth stripping the aluminum threads, or spending $60 on a one off special tool. ** ALSO, pull off the black heater pipe on the intake as it causes issues installing the manifold.(Replace or grease up the O-ring.My kit didn't have it)

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited by dreager; 05-29-2017 at 03:47 AM.
dreager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:45 AM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: Intake gasket gone wrong

A vacuum leak could result in a MAF error code, but a P0100 is for a MAF circuit problem, not a MAF signal out of range. It could be a failed MAF connection, pinched/shorted wires, or something else affecting the MAF circuit voltage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Bowtie For This Useful Post:
dreager (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 09:04 PM   #3
dreager
AF Regular

Follow up to post. Cleared codes and disked battery finally got it started but running real rough at idle and won't start/idle without using pedal. (No wild loping) Sprayed around hoses and only had one reaction at MAF, did it again and nothing. Accelerates great and holds speed smoothly. Brakes not good at low speed.
Car had sat for 6 days doing the job so I checked the plug wires at coil, one was really rusted/dirty so cleaned best I could, no change.After clearing codes I re-scanned and now I get P0108- Map sensor.

Is there a relearn procedure for his car?
Old 05-27-2017, 01:24 AM   #4
dreager
AF Regular

Found the problem. Throttle gasket fell down when juggling the heater hoses, heater hose U bracket and throttle bolts. End of !
Old 05-27-2017, 07:36 AM   #5
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Glad you found it......but how could it fall down? Aren't there holes for the bolts to the throttle body, in the gasket, to prevent this during installation?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Century