Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > AF Regional > North America > USA > North East
North East New York, New Jersey, New Hampsire, Massachusetts, Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, Maine, Virginia, West Virginia
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 11:43 PM   #1
Shadowman890
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Shadowman890
Massachusetts Modified Exhaust Law

After getting a $100 ticket for a aftermarket exhaust fine for an exhaust that is two decibels louder then stock, I decided to do a little research. I visited the S.E.M.A. website and found this article:

It’s Not Dead Yet!
Massachusetts Bill to Ban the Sale/Installation of Aftermarket Exhaust Systems Continues to Move through Legislature

Although we thought we had successfully stalled this bill in the Committee on Public Safety earlier this year, a bill (H.B. 1722) to ban the sale or installation of “an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust” continues to move though the Massachusetts Legislature. It has not been revised from last year’s version and remains an extremely damaging piece of legislation.

After months of inactivity, H.B. 1722 was recently approved by the Massachusetts House Rules Committee and has now been re-referred to the House Steering, Policy and Scheduling Committee. If recommended for passage by this committee, the bill will be scheduled for a vote on the floor of the Massachusetts House of Representatives. It is important that we act in force again in order to (finally) defeat this bill before it has the opportunity to progress further.

Call, E-Mail or Fax the Members of the Steering, Policy and Scheduling Committee (List Below) Immediately to Request Their Opposition to H.B. 1722

The arguments remain the same:

• H.B. 1722 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.

• H.B. 1722 does not supply law enforcement with a clear standard to enforce, allowing them to make subjective judgments on whether or not a modified exhaust system is in violation.

• H.B. 1722 fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.

• H.B. 1722 would make it difficult for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust systems with more durable, better performing options.

Call or e-mail the members of the Steering and Policy Committee (See List Below) today to oppose this legislation. This bill tramples on the rights of vehicle enthusiasts in Massachusetts.

House Steering, Policy, and Scheduling Committee

Rep. Paul Kujawski
E-Mail: Rep.PaulKujawski@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617-722-2960
Facsimile: 617-722-2846

Rep. Benjamin Swan
E-Mail: Rep.BenjaminSwan@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617-722-2692

Rep. Louis Kafka
E-Mail: Rep.LouisKafka@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617-722-2305
Facsimile: 617-722-2598

Rep. Ellen Story
Email: Rep.EllenStory@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617-722-2692

Rep. Christine Canavan
E-Mail: Rep.ChristineCanavan@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617-722-2320
Facsimile: 617-722-2339

Rep. John Fresolo
E-Mail: Rep.JohnFresolo@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617-722-2960

Rep. Peter Kocot
E-Mail Address: Rep.PeterKocot@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: (617) 722-2575

Rep. James Eldridge
Email: Rep.JamesEldridge@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617-722-2060

Rep. Joyce Spiliotis
Email: Rep.JoyceSpiliotis@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617-722-2090

Rep. Brad Hill
E-Mail: Rep.BradHill@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617- 722-2489

Rep. Elizabeth Poirier
E-Mail: Rep.ElizabethPoirier@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617-722-2976
Facsimile: 617-626-0108
Old 08-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
Hondacivicgirl
AF Newbie

Re: Massachusetts Modified Exhaust Law

Does anyone know if the masscops are able to write tickets for aftermarket exhaust?i have been pulled over 3times for my exhaust n need to know if this is right.
Hondacivicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

What is the specific problem with your exhaust? An exhaust can either be too loud or not have the appropriate emissions hardware. My guess is that yours is too loud, right?

If it's the noise issue... the cops can write you up for that one. Excess noise is illegal and pisses other people off.

There is probably a noise limit written into the local laws (I am not sure if its state or local law). You may be able to have your car noise level tested, and keep the paperwork with you.

However, this will cost money and why bother? Over the years, I have gotten more hassle for loud pipes than ANYTHING else, including my driving/speeding.

I have learned my lessons. Loud mufflers simply get you unwanted attention from the cops. Once they hear you, they will check you out for speeding, moving violations, or even just stop you to take a look around your car..... for equipment/emissions violations, the presence of booze, weed etc.

Frankly, why do you want to get the cops attention? Make your life easier and get a quieter exhaust.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
waynewta
AF Newbie

I have mixed feelings about this law or proposed law. On the one hand, I drive a car that, from the factory, without modification, has an attention getting exhaust. On the other hand, I certainly consider myself to be among the enthusiast crowd of people who like to wring every last bit of performance or otherwise enjoy all hat my cars have to offer.
Unfortunately, what you're seeing in Massachusetts (and I live in Philadelphia, PA) is a reactionary posture from a people who have seen the pendulum swing too far in one direction, so to speak. I can't tell you how many times the walls of my apartment have been shaken by what I affectionately call "boom cars." There's no reason for this other than driver/owner vanity. As a retired Chevrolet engineer, I can tell you that exhaust notes are tuned for customer satisfaction purposes and not raw horsepower. We all know that if you listen to a Lexus engine (and those of many premium brands, that these engines are nearly silent and yet many of these cars are rockets with surprising high highway top speeds.) So, if you don't want to be regulated, don't be so obnoxious about sending your exhaust sounds to my ears where they represent unwanted cacophony. Thanks.
waynewta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
waynewta
AF Newbie

There are three comment in this post that I must directly refute:

<<• H.B. 1722 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.>>

Aftermarket exhausts in all but the cheapest cars do not make vehicles run more efficiently. After spending millions of dollars on car design and tens if not hundreds on the cost of a factory exhaust, car manufacturers do not cripple a car by compromising on this one inexpensive component. If vehicles could be made more efficient by simply fitting a fatter "less restrictive" exhaust, given the ever increasing EPA MPG requirements, manufacturers would be inclined, do to market forces, to do so themselves.

<<• H.B. 1722 does not supply law enforcement with a clear standard to enforce, allowing them to make subjective judgments on whether or not a modified exhaust system is in violation.>>

While exhaust noise can be subjective, it can be objectively measured with a digital sound level meter with "peak hold" and average "functions." Many brands of these meters, in calibrated form, are available.

<<• H.B. 1722 fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.>>

Aftermarket exhaust systems do not improve performance or, if they do, do so in a nearly insignificant way. If you want to prove this to yourself, disconnect your exhaust system in front of your car's catalytic converter. Clearly you will be eliminating some "back pressure." Operate the car and do some acceleration, fuel economy, and performance testing. While your car might get from 0 to 60 MPG one tenth of a second faster, you won't be able to drive the car for long because of the fatiguing affect of the extremely loud unmuffled exhaust.
waynewta is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > AF Regional > North America > USA > North East