Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > AF Regional > North America > USA > North East
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
North East New York, New Jersey, New Hampsire, Massachusetts, Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, Maine, Virginia, West Virginia
View Poll Results: Should sex offenders be banned from living with in 2,500 feet of a school or park?
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
I'm undecided 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 09:07 PM   #1
SeXy_AnGeL
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SeXy_AnGeL
Sex Offenders Banned from Hamilton Twp. NJ

To give you an idea of where Hamilton is...It's the "Anthrax Capital of the World"...outside of Princeton and Trenton.

Quote:
Sex Offenders Could Be Banned from Hamilton Township
HAMILTON, N.J. -- Hamilton Township's council is expected to introduce an ordinance Tuesday night that would ban convicted sex offenders of living within 2,500 feet of a school, playground or park.

If the ordinance is approved, sex offenders would have a difficult time finding a place to live in the Mercer County community, which has 30 schools and more than 30 parks.

Hamilton is where Megan Kanka lived. The namesake of "Megan's Law" died at the hands of a sex offender who lived on her block in 1994. "Megan's Law" requires community notification when a convicted sex offender moves in.

The planned ordinance is similar to one proposed in Keansburg. The Monmouth County town wants to establish a "pedophile-free school zone" within 1,000 feet of schools, parks and playgrounds.

The state chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union says restricting where sex offenders live would violate constitutional protections of due process and double jeopardy.
http://www.nbc10.com/news/4444282/detail.html

What do you think? I lived there for a short period of time and I think its really good. I mean in Hamilton Township alone, there are 17 elementary schools, 3 middle, and 3 high schools.

Discuss...

We know exactly where the one cow with mad-cow-disease is located among the millions and millions of cows in America, but we don't have a clue as to where the thousands of illegal immigrants and terrorists are located.

Maybe we should put the Department of Agriculture in charge of immigration.
SeXy_AnGeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:34 PM   #2
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: Sex Offenders Banned from Hamilton Twp. NJ

I don't know. On one hand I see your point, but I think there are other constitutional issues in limiting where " certain residents" of the population may reside. The words "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of hapiness" come to mind when I read the above post. Even though the offenders in question violated the rights of others, I'm sure a lawyer could argue the point that these people (pedophiles) are entitled to the same rights as you or me, on where they can live, etc. I'm not saying that it's right, but with the litigious society we have nowadays, I think they may face an uphill battle in trying to limit where a group of people may reside. ( On a side note: This reminds me of a battle some towns in my area faced a few years back in trying to legislate limits on where "group homes" for people such as developmentally delayed, handicapped, social/emotional problems could be placed in neighborhoods.)

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:47 PM   #3
Ace$nyper
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ace$nyper Send a message via MSN to Ace$nyper Send a message via Yahoo to Ace$nyper

damn time for me to move!!

I see good and bad in it idk with out some thought but top of my head i'd say no. Just watch your kids and teach them ..... oh yea people dont do that nowadays.
Ace$nyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:14 PM   #4
-Josh-
Automotive love doctor

Send a message via AIM to -Josh-

I think it's a damn good idea personally. Those people want rights to live where they want...to bad, they fucked up.

AF User Guidelines

What is a mippie? - click
-Josh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 06:00 PM   #5
WickedNYCowboy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to WickedNYCowboy Send a message via Yahoo to WickedNYCowboy
I think it is great. I have to say the Jersey Child protective laws are a lot better then here in NY. That is probably the only a couple good things about jersey. That's being said with no offense to anyone that lives there.
My Rides:
2003 Ford F-350 Long Horn Hauler
Others:
1999 Toyota Camry LE V6-Dad
2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71-Sister
2004 Toyota Camry LE V6-Mom
WickedNYCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 07:45 AM   #6
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

The thing about child molesters is that the vast majority of them do it over and over again. I think it's reasonable to keep them away from temptation, for both their own good and the good of the children they'd be abusing.

Give them a chance, yes. But to make a parallel comparison, don't put the heroin addict in charge of the pharmacy.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 07:46 AM   #7
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

OH, damn! I just reopened an old thread. Sorry.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 01:28 PM   #8
knorwj
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to knorwj
As far as i'm concerned once you commit a crime you waive your constitutional rights. I think this is a great idea, and would support it in my own area as well.

edit: oops sorry it is kinda old. hard to tell when its only three or four posts down.

New:
1998 chevy BlaZeR2~ AKA "Jeep recovery device"

Newer:
2007 Honda CB900F "919"
knorwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
waynewta
AF Newbie

I'm thinking about retiring here..
Jerry Sandusky.
waynewta is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > AF Regional > North America > USA > North East