Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Lebaron
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
1988lebaronturbo
AF Newbie

88 Lebaron Turbo - no power to fuel pump

88 Chrysler Lebaron 2.2L Turbo, J-body convertible

I did not start the Lebaron for about 3 months because the battery was dead. I replaced the battery and it would not start. When I sprayed starting fluid in the intake it started until the starting fluid burned out. So, it has fire. But, it isn't getting fuel. Also, the fuel gauge doesn't indicate the fuel level correctly. The tank is full, but the fuel gauge indicates the tank is empty, or at one bar (electronic cluster).

I then checked the fuel pump connector at the tank end, as well as the fuel gauge sending unit connector at the tank. With the key in the RUN position, I used a light volt tester at the fuel pump. No power to the fuel pump connector. At the tank, the fuel sending unit connector indicates there is power (the tester light was on, but dim).

I then tested the ASD relay (Automatic Shutdown) on the left side of engine compartment. The ASD connector is getting power. If the engine is getting spark, then the ASD is working, right? The ASD wouldn't just work for the spark, and not for the fuel, right?

I don't know if the fuel pump has some inline fuse. Is there such a fuse? I don't know where else to test the fuel pump wiring to see where the problem is.

Could it be that the engine needs to be cranked over in order to show voltage at the fuel pump connector at the tank?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by 1988lebaronturbo; 02-23-2009 at 08:42 PM. Reason: add text
1988lebaronturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
madmanmapper
AF Regular

Re: 88 Lebaron Turbo - no power to fuel pump

Hmm I'm not very sure about this. But hook up your voltmeter to the fuel pump plug. You might need a friend to help you with this. With the ignition key off, read the volts, should be zero. Have your friend turn on the ignition key while you are still reading the voltage across the fuel pump plug. See if it gets any power when you turn the key on.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
microedit
AF Newbie

ASD relay is a pain in the neck. When you first turn the key to the car on without cranking it you should hear the fuel pump turn on for a couple of seconds. If it does then you don't have a problem with fuel pump. Could be the fuel injectors. The fuel pump works by engine vacuum so other than electrical connection to it you also gotta have a good vacuum, this is the third tube that comes from the tank near the top of the engine passenger side. To test listen hear if pump comes on when turning on car without cranking the only other noise is the relays should click on at the same time. Let me know cause this information will affect resolving the diagnoistics of the problem. Adam at supernaturalbeing777@yahoo.com
microedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:30 AM   #4
madmanmapper
AF Regular

Crazy idea: check the continuity of the wires going to the pump. Since you say it receives no power.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1988 , chrysler , fuel , lebaron , pump
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Lebaron