Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > 914
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 07:40 PM   #1
pod
AF Enthusiast

Question where to get a cheap 914

just wondering where to get a cheap reparible or driveable 914
Old 07-10-2003, 07:58 PM   #2
PowerCrazy
AF Enthusiast

i'd say just look in your local auto trader or go on ebay. if you want a reliable one you'll definitly want to see it before you buy and know what you're doing and what to look for. looks rarely tell the whole story on these cars.
PowerCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 01:32 PM   #3
SynikalFan
AF Newbie

Re: where to get a cheap 914

ya im going with what powercrazy said, but if you are going to purchase one, ask about or check the transmission. the trannys on 914 are not always working perfectly and mine still has a few bugs that need figuring out.
SynikalFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 06:54 PM   #4
mjohn
AF Enthusiast

what $ is considered cheap?
mjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 06:55 PM   #5
mjohn
AF Enthusiast

seems if you want something driveable $2500.

What should I be looking for...besides Transmission...I have heard that the stock brakes are not safe...?
Old 08-08-2004, 12:27 PM   #6
Willskyline
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Willskyline

I agree with mjohn. Don't pay less than $2500 for a 914. I payed $5k for my 914 about 5 years ago. I went through the PCA (Porsche Club of America). Assuming that you're here in the states, that's a great place to get reliable cars and also make friends that can help you out. I do not reccomend purchasing a car off ebay. My friend had some serious problems with ebay and a mustang.
Stock brakes usually don't have problems. Tranny might. Take the car to a good mechanic - assuming that you aren't a good mechanic - and have it checked out. It's well worth the $$.
Also, my auto insurance company was able to give me a better rate because I convinced them that my 914 was actually a VW. Surprised? Don't be. *story time*
The 914 was introduced at the Frankfurt auto show in September 1969. As 914s became available to buyers in Eurpoe shortly thereafter, the cars were badged as VW-Porsches with VW emblems on the hubcaps and the Wolfsburg crest embossed on the steering wheel hub. They were sold through VW-Porsche dealers. When the cars came to the US in early 1970, they also were devoid of any Porsche emblems, although this was the only country in which they were sold through Porsche dealers. The word 'P-O-R-S-C-H-E' was carried on the engine lid grille and a subtle Porsche crest replaced the VW coat of arms on the steering wheel.
The VW masquerading as a Porsche issue was further confused by the PCA. The PCA has a strict set of rules as tto what constitutes a 'Porsche' to determine if an owner is eligible for membership. You must own a Porsche to be a member. There was no question as to the pedigree of the Porsche factory-assembled 914/6 with its 911 engine, but a strong debate raged about the VW roots of the engine in the 4 cylinder cars. Conveniently forgotten by those opposing the 914 was the orgin of much of the componentry in the early 356s. All 914s were eventually deemed acceptable for PCA membership.
Tell Geico it's a VW mascarading as a Porsche, therefore you have to be given VW rates. He/she will be thrown, but they can't argue with you.
Didn't mean to ramble on there, but I figured it's worth saving $$.
Have a good one.
Willskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 08:08 PM   #7
Tony Pierce
AF Newbie

Trust me, there is no such thing as a cheap Porsche. Even a 914. I have put double in parts into mine to what I paid for it. $2500. turns into 5k real quick. And don't forget to check the "hell hole". (that's 914 terminology for under the battery box, and inner rear right fender. And the longs (the main braces under the car) for rust.
Tony Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 06:33 PM   #8
robertllamas
AF Newbie

Unhappy

Don't try e-bay for your 914, unless you can actually go lok at the car first. I paid $455 for a '73 in "running condition". They actually drove it on the trailer. I've got my hands full now. I did manage to get it running again yesterday, but boy am I going to be out some time and money to get it road worthy. Still, it's got the Porsche name and my family thinks it's cool to have around, so here I go.......
robertllamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 11:44 AM   #9
mjohn
AF Enthusiast

so where did you end up hauling the 914 from?

I have owned a 1971 914 which I bought with a broken front end part... $1100. replaced thepart and had an enjoyable summer-year driving it...

Today I am 55 yrs old and have had my share of vehicles, 6 now and approx. 50-60 over the years...
To date that 914 Porsche was the most fun driver. :o) MJohn