Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Forester
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 04:00 AM   #1
gtl12
AF Newbie

No Transmission Fluid

I just took my Forester in for an oil change at a Firestone location near me, and instead.............they drained the transmission fluid completely and then overfilled the oil reserve. After they moved it out of the bay area, and out into the parking lot for me to leave it wouldn't move. I went to leave, and noticed it wouldn't move forward, so I kept messing with it, and really pushing down on the accelerator and it would finally move a little but it sounded weird also. After trying twice I went back inside and told them the car wouldn't move forward. They came out and checked it, and forced it to move half way across the parking lot by continuing to push the accelerator hard. Then all of a sudden this white smoke started coming out of the back of the car, and I am talking ALOT OF SMOKE! The attendant stopped the car, kept it running while he checked fluids, then had about 5 workers push it back into the bay. I went in there and was told what had happened. My question is.............would that hurt the transmission for that to have happened and driven only through the parking lot? They of course say no, but I want to make sure. I had them put in writing what happened and sign it.
gtl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gtl12 For This Useful Post:
gk68 (07-04-2013)
Old 07-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #2
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Re: No Transmission Fluid

Pay the $80 for a diagnosis at the Subaru dealership. If everything's fine, it's peace of mind. If not...

Sounds like Firestone may be buying you a new transmission, and they're lucky if they don't have to buy you a new motor, too.

Was this with an auto transmission?
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay! For This Useful Post:
gk68 (07-04-2013)
Old 12-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
zzyzzx2
AF Regular

This is why you should always change your own oil.
zzyzzx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zzyzzx2 For This Useful Post:
gk68 (07-04-2013)
Old 12-15-2009, 12:29 AM   #4
RahX
AF Enthusiast

No this is why you take your vehicle someplace that isn't populated with idiots. The transmission filter is CLEARLY marked TRANSMISSION on a Subaru. Besides any moron with a brain knows the difference between an engine and a transmission. I've seen this same thing happen several times and they always come from the same places. Guess where and you get a cookie.
RahX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RahX For This Useful Post:
gk68 (07-04-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
gk68
AF Newbie

Cool Re: No Transmission Fluid

Hi everyone!
My first post, so go easy on me...thanks.
I have a 1997 Suzuki Baleno 4cyl. GLX model with auto transmission.

I had the engine replaced today and it looked and ran great....for about 3 miles. Then the car stalled out, after high RPM's. I stopped the engine. Waited a few minutes and started up again and got about another mile...where it stalled in the middle of a rotary.

I guess most folks [judging from their honking and angry reaction] must have thought I stopped at that bad spot to have a picnic.
Finally a bus driver, who first honked, but then realized my problem, got another guy and they helped me push this 'classic' into a safe spot. The bus driver was smiling and the volunteers were great good samaritans.

I called the mechanic and he came to check. He was glad that the engine was good, but admitted that he had forgotten to put in any FLUID after that big engine installation job. He said he'd take care of it in the morning. I said I could go buy the 2 liters of red trans. fluid and still bring it tomorrow.

The store only had 1 liter, so I put that in, and tried to get to the 2nd store. I succeeded, but still had to stop twice. I got the 2nd liter and returned to the car to put it in.

Then I cautiously drove off, but had to stop in half a mile...and rest the tranny for 10 minutes. Then it started right up and I got to the light near my building; turned off engine again..then got the last 200 yards to my place. What a joy ride!

I only went about 4 miles total. Does it sound like the transmission is dead?
It's so hot here that I'm more exhausted than upset. But after ALL the expenses with this Suzuki, I can't afford to get a different car. It has the 'new' engine and new radiator,A/C fan, cooling systen hoses/etc., new tires and rims, rear repair plus 2 shock absorbers.

Any diagnostic, transmission, psych advice??? Thanks!!!!![a GIFT for y'all..from an old blues song......"..If I didn't have BAD luck, I'd have NO LUCK at all!"
gk68 in a far away land.......
gk68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
somick
AF Enthusiast

Judging from your description it sounds to me like you killed your transmission. ATF works as lubricant as well and you ran your tranny dry. There is a possibility that you just used the wrong fluid and you still can resurrect your transmission. Try to post your question at the Suzuki section where people know what kind of fluid you need.

Good luck,
Sam

somick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
gk68
AF Newbie

Angry Re: No Transmission Fluid

Thanks for responding, Sam. The mechanic came to me last night and checked the transmission fluid...and showed me that it was bone dry. So he diagnosed the problem right away...probably because he had just replaced my engine and forgot to refill ALL the fluids.
Today it was the same story...at first it wouldn't move at all and I finally got to go 100 yards at a time, pulled over and shut off the engine. After about 2 hours, I got to a gas station about a mile from my house and put in another 2 liters of transmission fluid, at the mechanic's suggestion.
So I finally get to his garage, and he starts to check it out, but can't really work on it until the next working day on Sunday.
He said a couple of things that bothered me>>>>"These old cars, always something that goes bad..."..."IF it's the transmission, it's very expensive...">>>>>[normally he'd say something like 'it's a lot of work'].
So he stressed that the engine was good and it's true. BUT he seems to be distancing himself from the transmission, as if it was just a coincidence that it may have gone bad after a flawless engine replacement!!!! Replacing all fluids is part of a standard engine replacement, and I think I'm in big trouble with a guy who is usually fair and honest, but seems to want to prepare me for a transmission job which I am supposed to pay for....then he said again how "the engine is a good one"
Not sure how to deal with this mentality. Also, I reminded his helper to please check all fluids after the engine job. [a language problem, though...so he either didn't understand me or didn't care, or just forgot to put ANY trans. fluid in at all. ]
Don't know how to handle this one.
Thanks. Any advice welcomed...and needed!!!
gk68 THANK YOU!!!!!
gk68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
SleepyHead98
AF Regular

Im sorry, Im not understanding the problem with direction here. Your car worked fine. Some idiot, did stupid stuff to YOUR vehicle. Drained Tranny fluid instead of oil. Failed to catch the problem? How did they let you drive the vehicle off the lot without transfluid in it? Im seriously at a loss for words here. Whoever drained that transmission fluid from your vehicle, then told you that your car was done, needs to replace YOUR transmission. This is absolutely ridiculous. Talk to the Firestone manager, if he doesnt help, contact general manager, if they are useless, contact Corporate. This is absolutely ridiculous. Yeah sure, the thing Might run okay once the fluid is in it, but how long is it going to last, now that all the innerworkings of the transmission have gotten nice and heat glazed.
SleepyHead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #9
somick
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyHead98 View Post
Im sorry, Im not understanding the problem with direction here. Your car worked fine. Some idiot, did stupid stuff to YOUR vehicle. Drained Tranny fluid instead of oil. Failed to catch the problem? How did they let you drive the vehicle off the lot without transfluid in it? Im seriously at a loss for words here. Whoever drained that transmission fluid from your vehicle, then told you that your car was done, needs to replace YOUR transmission. This is absolutely ridiculous. Talk to the Firestone manager, if he doesnt help, contact general manager, if they are useless, contact Corporate. This is absolutely ridiculous. Yeah sure, the thing Might run okay once the fluid is in it, but how long is it going to last, now that all the innerworkings of the transmission have gotten nice and heat glazed.
As far as I understand this was not the Firestone. Probably just an independent mechanic but the message should be the same: "You broke it - fix it"

Sam

somick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #10
SleepyHead98
AF Regular

Sorry, I do belive this did happen at Firestone. Im getting this from the very first sentence. "a Firestone location near me, and instead.............they drained the..."
SleepyHead98 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Forester