Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > SVX
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 12:50 AM   #1
Technical_Automan
Banned

How to buy a SVX

I've wanted one of these since I started driving. At first I just couldn't afford it, but now that's not an issue. But with the transmission problems, i'm a little worried. What's a good mileage to buy at? I am capable of doing any labor myself, but I want to enjoy a car for once without fixing it all the time. The only thing I don't like about the car is the way the front end looks. Does anyone sell a front bumper or headlights mod for it? Also does anyone sell a turbo kit for it? Thanks for any help.
Technical_Automan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:11 AM   #2
VAD0R
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to VAD0R Send a message via AIM to VAD0R
Thumbs up This might help.

As for the tranny problem, that doesn't seem to really come into play with most SVXs until beyond 120k and if the formal driver didn't push the car too hard, it should not be that much of a problem. As for the warped brakes, I had to say this some time but that is a myth, the problems that people think are associated with "warped brakes" are usually uneven brake pads (with debris consequently making the disc uneven as well) or perhaps sometimes the calipers are too rusted to work properly. Also, when buying an SVX make sure you get the actual keys aside from the valet, do test if they are actual try to open the trunk and/or doors. Also if the rpms seem to be bouncing all over the place it means that your transmission is gear searching. To solve that, check the voltage that is running from battery to the TCU and see if it is 0.5v, if not there is a certain way to adjust it but I not completely sure now) or another way is to get a new battery.

To find out how to fix the TCU voltage and other queries go here.
VAD0R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:42 PM   #3
HellzX
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to HellzX
Re: How to buy a SVX

I had to fix a broken crankshaft pulley for my sister's SVX this summer.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:28 AM   #4
BlueRoo'02
AF Newbie

Re: How to buy a SVX

I had a '92 SVX LS-L, great car! They had a transmission problem and I imagine that most were replaced under warranty service bulletin as mine was. If I was to buy another I would prefer a '94 I think, it doesn't have the mouse racer seat belts as my '92 did. I never had any brake problems despite driving 120+ mph in it, just some annoying condensation issues in the lenses that never went away no matter how many times they replaced the lights..could be that I washed it too often . My biggest problem with the car (as wonderfully complicated and engineered as it was) was that it drove too well on the freeway... anything less then a 100mph seemed soooo slow. After my insurance was threatened I traded for a slower, less autobahn worthy Outback wagon. As you may know well kept tire pressure and matching tread/tread debth is most important on AWD car transmissions.
SVXs' are often the best deals of any collector car you'll likely find.
BlueRoo'02 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > SVX