Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
mes0003
AF Newbie

CPS replacement/access

Hello all. I am replacing the CPS on my 1994 JGC with an automatic transmission. I can't reach it through the front, so I climbed underneath it, and there is no way i can fit my arm up through the mess to access the bolt. My question: If I were to remove the center console, would that give me better access to the CPS? If so and anyone has any tips on removing the console, please let me know. Thanks in advance,

mark
mes0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
JeepForever
AF Regular

Re: CPS replacement/access

I don't know whether the center console would give access because the firewall might block your path to the engine compartment. I'll leave those recommendations to others.

I know it's a pain to replace the CPS on the '94, but I was able to get it (on the 2nd attempt) from underneath the vehicle (jack it up a bit to give more clearance above the axle). Use about 18" extension on a socket wrench with a swivel adaptor on the end. You'll need to reach the full length of your arm to get the socket on the bolt, but then you should be able to crank the wrench from underneath. I recommend trying again (or find someone who's a gymnast that doesn't mind getting greasy).

It took me about 1/2 hour to find the stinking bolt, but only a few minutes to replace it once I figured out how to access it.

Let us know if you're still stuck, or maybe someone can comment on the center console.
JeepForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:03 AM   #3
mes0003
AF Newbie

Okay, removing the console definitely does not give you access to the CPS. It was worth a try. I'm off to get a couple extensions and a wobbler and i'll go at it from below. Thanks for the reply. In fact, thanks to all that are involved in this forum. I've literally saved thousands doing my own repairs, taking advice from the forum posts here.
mes0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
JeepForever
AF Regular

With the socket extensions, be sure to use a universal socket (I called it a "swivel adapter" in my original post). You'll be working at nearly a right-angle with the socket, so the universal adapter is critical for getting the bolt turned. All things are possible - sometimes it just takes a few tries.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:11 AM   #5
pete44
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes0003
Hello all. I am replacing the CPS on my 1994 JGC with an automatic transmission. I can't reach it through the front, so I climbed underneath it, and there is no way i can fit my arm up through the mess to access the bolt. My question: If I were to remove the center console, would that give me better access to the CPS? If so and anyone has any tips on removing the console, please let me know. Thanks in advance,

mark

Mark, I am going through the same thing...I have seen a post that said I got to bolt and removed it in minutes...(I DID NOT have that luck!)..Do you have a 4 wheel drive/4.0 litre like myself...It is DIFFICULT to say the least...I tried the socket extensions and swival/universal socket with no luck. ..With the 4WD I cannot get a good access from above or below Jeep..I am about to go down to Express oil (or anyone with a pit or lift) and let them swap out CPS for me...and I try to do EVERYTHING myself...Hope this helps,Pete
pete44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
JeepForever
AF Regular

Hey guys,
Here's a post from someone who replaced their CPS. As I mentioned in a prior post, most of my effort was in getting the socket on the bolt, then I replaced it fairly easily. That seems to be a common issue.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=470605
Try some penetrating oil on the bolt to loosen it up.

I jacked up my vehicle a bit (just enough to give more clearance above the axle) and was able to touch the bolt. After that I felt around until I got the socket on it (the other post said 11 mm socket; I don't recall whether that's the size I used). Sounds like it might take some leverage to break it loose. Give it a good thrust and see if you can get it un-stuck.

Hang in there - you'll feel much better when the new CPS is installed! (your Jeep will run better, too!)
Old 01-25-2008, 12:14 PM   #7
pete44
AF Newbie

[quote=JeepForever]Hey guys,
I jacked up my vehicle a bit (just enough to give more clearance above the axle) and was able to touch the bolt.

Hey JeepForever....Thanks for the info!...Exactly where did you jack up the Jeep to give more clearance?...Also, Is yours a 4WD?...Thanks,Pete
pete44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
CoachKarl
AF Regular

What problem are you trying to solve by swapping out the CPS?
I just replaced one on my 93 4L auto. I connected all my wobble headed 3/8 extensions, (about 15") and laid my head just behind the drivers side front tire. The 11 mm bolts came out no problem. When I installed the bolts, I put a dab of vasaline on the head of the bolt, put it in the 11 mm socket, and eased them right back into place from behind the tire. The only PITA is, that you have to set the sensor in the hole correctly from the top. The whole job took about an hour. I wasn't going to use the new sensor unless the multimeter showed some sort of variance. It did.
I tested the impedence between pins on the CPS connector. With the lock tab facing down, I labeled 3 pins from left to right, A: RedWire/GreenStripe, B: Black/Gray, C: White/Black.
On the old sensor, A-B impedence = 1259 ohms, B-C impedence = infinity, A-C impedence = infinity.
On the new CPS, A-B impedence - 1186 ohms, B-C impedence - 10,380 ohms, A-C impedence = 1186.
By the book, (Haynes - Cherokee Pg 6-20), it says there should be no resistance at all between B-C. So the old sensor was more to spec. Because there was such a difference between the old and new sensor (and desperation), I swapped it anyhow.
It did not fix my crank / no start problem though.
CoachKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:17 PM   #9
JeepForever
AF Regular

Yes, my jeep is a 4WD ('94 GC Laredo 6 cyl.). When I jacked up the vehicle I put the jack on the frame near the front under the driver's side door. This lifted the vehicle up off of the axle a bit. Regarding Coach Karl's question, I changed the CPS because my Jeep was stalling while driving and while at stop lights. The diagnosis was correct as this fixed my problems.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8