Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 08:02 PM   #46
metalhedskater
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to metalhedskater
Re: why viper?

is it true about the myth....that Vipers are shitty at handling.....I mean Viper is my ultimate dream car next to the toyota supra....for handling which would be better?
metalhedskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 07:41 AM   #47
Jason Doucette
AF Newbie

The Viper has won the famous 24 hour race at the Nurburgring track a couple of times, so it must handle reasonably well. I have often heard that it handles like crap, as well, but how is it winning these races if this is the case? It is more likely these are the complaints of bad drivers, since it is well known the Viper is not as easy to drive as other cars. This does not imply it is impossible to drive, however.
Jason Doucette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 12:29 AM   #48
Bertone_lover
AF Newbie

Re: ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper 10
Sorry Guys if this offends some of you...

I like RX-7's (in fact my brother owns a TT), but it is not a Viper. If you pump a RX-7 up that much, you can bet that it will not be reliable. Spend enough money and you can make a Kleenex box go faster than a Viper... so what's your point? Are you saying if given the choice that you would take the RX?

Am I missing something here?

Hi. I'm new to the Dodge forum and I just wanted to say that I have to agree with Viper10 on the general subject of "what's better / faster".

I've had many cars over the years, and the reality is that your CAN make almost any car "go fast". Most people like cars such as Hondas, Mazdas, Chevys and Toyotas for use in modification simply because they're easily obtainable. Combined with the fact that they're what you'd call "forgiving cars" when it comes to handling, etc. - you could certainly say that these cars can generally perform better - for the more inexperienced driver.

Cars like the earlier Porsche 911s, mid-engined exotics like V12 Ferraris, Lamboghinis, as well as front-engined Shelby Cobras and our dear Vipers have incredible performance capability. But the truth is that these cars require much skill to be pushed to those limits. Whether it be from power-to-weight ratios, suspension set-up, tire selection and engine / transmission placement within the car's chassis - certain machines require much in the way of either firmness OR finess behind the wheel.

I love almost all automobiles, and I think that anyone who has a passion for a certain model / make of vehicle should pursue it because they love THAT car. Simply debating what car is better / safer / quicker / cheaper is circumstancial and really not that relevant. You should go for what you love.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:11 PM   #49
VenomInMyVeins
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: why viper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhedskater
is it true about the myth....that Vipers are shitty at handling.....I mean Viper is my ultimate dream car next to the toyota supra....for handling which would be better?
Whenever I hear about the viper's ride... it's always how the suspension's so stiff is like riding in a flatbed truck.... how do you think it get's around the corners so well? A soft suspensioned car is shitty around corners. And the SRT-10 is supposed to be unreal around corners. The R&T magazine rated it as the highest skidpad it's tested on a stock car save for one... the 2000(01?) SVT cobra... I know I was shocked to hear that too.... But I know... magazine junkies are fools... so how about you ask someone like viper10 who owns one and see how he feels about things.
VenomInMyVeins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 10:13 PM   #50
VenomInMyVeins
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertone_lover
I love almost all automobiles, and I think that anyone who has a passion for a certain model / make of vehicle should pursue it because they love THAT car. Simply debating what car is better / safer / quicker / cheaper is circumstancial and really not that relevant. You should go for what you love.
Very well stated Bertone... You may be new, but you are gladly welcomed with open arms.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:44 AM   #51
DiabloGT
Banned

damn asian pople, lets see a stock japanese car vs. a stock viper ever seen that? no then any souped up car has a big chance of beating a stock car cmon what are you thinking?
p.s. stop watching 2 fast 2 furious
DiabloGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 09:09 PM   #52
VenomInMyVeins
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
damn asian people
? don't be a racist piece of shit. Any racism is not welcome here.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:26 PM   #53
93redcobra
AF Regular

Im new to the dodge forum too, and im in the market for a gts, everything about the car I love. Truely an affordable supercar

1993 red cobra
1999 lightning
2004 land rover
2004 lincoln navigator
93redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 12:28 PM   #54
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: why viper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloGT
damn asian pople, lets see a stock japanese car vs. a stock viper ever seen that? no then any souped up car has a big chance of beating a stock car cmon what are you thinking?
p.s. stop watching 2 fast 2 furious
What do you think of Asian people who own Vipers? Your intelligence and level of education is starting to show... or is it just a bad sense of humor?

Last edited by Viper 10; 06-09-2004 at 01:56 AM.
Viper 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 10:53 PM   #55
03'350z
AF Regular

i think vipers are great cars i have drove them. they will scare the crap out of you
03'350z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 02:30 AM   #56
Ooomph
AF Newbie

I just bought my new '03 SRT-10 last week and let me tell you thatit is the best handling car I've ever driven. I traded in my '02 C5 vert and it didn't even come close. Yeah, it does ride rough, but it helps to keep the 345's in the rear firmly planted. My Viper is putting out 500hp and 525lbft of torque and you can definately feel in it the sotp. I'm shifting out of first at 60mph and it's not even at redline, just the peak of the hp curve. Bone stock it's 3.9sec 0-60mph and 11.77 in the quarter, not bad for a daily driver huh?. Btw, I'm only 34 years-old not 60 as most people would assume. Supercharger packages are less than $8k and you can TT it for around $12k --- on the stock bottom end, no engine mods required. Full header/exhaust packages go for $3k and net 50 to 60hp to the rear-wheels. This is by far the fastest car I've ever driven. The SRT-10's are pulling 197mph out of the box. So why'd I buy my Viper over an import or just keep my C5? Because they only make 1800 Viper's a year (worldwide). I got tired of seeing C5's at every intersection and I'm not into buying grocery-getters with souped up engines (if it can seat 4, I don't want it...).
'00 Ford Mustang

Ooomph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 04:11 PM   #57
LSR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to LSR
This is about the most ignorant thread I have ever read. Members such as chris, Viper 10, oomph and a select others who probably know who they are can put together reasonable posts which are truthful. If you don't like a Viper, but prefer a Skyline or Supra, then fine. But don't post here and insult the Viper when you likely know nothing about the Viper hence the hate - there is little to hate about these cars. This view maybe slightly general and not the case of every cynic, but it's true for quite a lot of Viper haters I've spoken to. Point? If you like another car but hate the Viper then stick to that car and go on a community dedicated to that car. If you don't like something, then don't get involved in something about it (like a forum thread).

Vipers are such complete cars. Torquey V10, 8 litres - say that to someone and they will be shocked, gobs of power, rarity, tuning potential, superb handling, technological and racing credentials, good styling, a driver's car, good reliability. What more do you want?

A Civic may be able to be MODIFIED to go faster than a BONE STOCK Viper but you can't say things like the Civic has won Le Mans or has lots of torque, can you?
LSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 11:31 PM   #58
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Oooomph...

SRT-10's don't top out at 197 mph. I don't know anyone who has taken one over 160. Remember that the convertibles are much more limited and unstable at speeds. RT/10's usually topped out at around 160 mph with a hard top toupee. The reason being is that most of the hard tops ripped right out of the mounts at those speeds (I have seen it happen). The aerodynamics of the rear of the RT's makes it VERY unstable at high speeds (it gets very light). There is just not enough downforce to make the car responsive at high speedds.

On the other hand the GTS's went significantly faster because of aerodynamics. As an owner of a GTS for the last 7 years, I wouldn't take the GTS's over 170 without some modifcations. For oone thing, the hood doesn't have adequate ventilation and a serious amount of pressure builds up under it (so bad that the hood starts waving around like a bedsheet). This hurts the aerodynamics so much that the front opening becomes a negative pressure area (which essentially walls this area off for less effective cooling).

Another area of concern is the pressure that builds up inside the GTS's at very high speeds. There is a vent that exits at the trailing egde of the rear quarter panels. At the factory many of the rubber sheet coverings get sealed against the body work. The result is that as you hit high speeds with your side windows opened the rear hatch blows out. It sounds like a magnum going off inside of the car.

For you Asian car bigots that love to talk trash, stop reading your stupid ricer mags and watching senseless movies like Fast and Furious. Magazines are nothing but high priced advertising and those movies exhibit some incredibly ignorant people who have their priorities in the wrong place. People who tell others to do illegal things like street racing are NOT your friends! They always have something to gain through your failures. Do yuou wonder why the crack pusher who street races is so cool to everyone? Because he looks at you as his m=next victim who will get hooked and need his drugs that he gave you for free (at first).

How much driving skill does it take to street race? So just because your magazines say that you can put out the same HP as a Viper, means that you can beat one in a race? So where does the HP and torque curves hit on your rice rockets... 4,000 rpm? How much torque do you get? What's torque? How many G's can that car pull in it's bone stock form? How fast a lap on a road course can you turn in that FWD monster?

My bone stock Viper pulls 450 RWHP and 490 RWTQ on a warranty rebuilt engine. Engine Mod's? How about a K&N air filter and smooth intake tubes. How many G's can a bone stock Viper pull? How about 1.05 G's. Where does the Viper's torque curve start? How about 900 rpm and kicks like a mule through 5,500 rpm. Is this anything to brag about? Hell no, because most of the Viper posers and dyno jockeys can't handle this unbelieveable performance. That's why over 40% of them have been totalled.

The one thing that you guys neglect to talk about is driver skill. Driver skill will beat just about ANY performance mod that you can fiind. Explain to me why guys in bone stock Vipers can turn the same lap times that guys driving Competition Coupe spec race cars can do? Explain to mewhy Viper whores/bigots can add tons of mods on their cars to turn over 1,200 HP and NOT be able to break 10 seconds on the strip? Explain to me why most guys can barely turn 13's on a bone stock Viper, but others turn 11.5's? Slow times? It's always the car's fault, right? Bull$hit! It's all about driver skill.

Why do all car bigots and dyno whores always blame their cars for slow times? Because the can't drive for $hit.

Most people spend an incredible amount time and money on their engines that they completely neglect modifying the chassis and suspension (or modify the idiot that is holding the steering wheel). How is anyone supposed to put the power to the pavement without killing themselves?

I walk it like I talk it. I drive fast only on tracks and haven't had an accident or a ticket in over 20 years. Learn to respect other people and their rides. I love all cars and used to be an old time ricer when I tracked Datsun 510's and 240Z's at Riverside Raceway and Willow Springs. Why? Because that's all that I could afford at the time... we ALL had to start at the bottom and work our way up to nicer cars (unless you are some spoiled sniveling brat who blackmails their parents into buying you an M3). I never street raced because my cars were too precious to me and I couldn't afford it if the cops impounded my car. My annual insurance used to be more than the price that I bought the car...

Get off your high horses and don't taklk smack until you've done some seat time in a Viper. If you want to put your money where your mouth is, then invest in developing driving skills on the track and quit dicking around with the bling-bling street racers. If you are in Southern Cal, I would be happy to show you my Snake and go for a spin around the block.

You'll see that it's not just about straight line acceleration. It's about pulling some very high speed G's with an excessive amount of torque (which challenges drivers and reduces your margin for error). It is much easier to drive the high tech cars at speeds like the Z06 and Porsche turbo's, but let's see you do it with tons of torque and no-tech to save your butts.

Final note, if you think that it's fun to rag on Vipers now, just wait for the announcement this fall on the SRT-10 Viper Coupe. It is coming to the plate with a sledge hammer (again) with the rumored engine that is currently being tested of a V-10 Hemi. The performance spec's are rumored to be between 600 and 650 HP! Stand back you Viper haters, because the Hulk of Detroit just raised the stakes in the performance game.

Can you say bye-bye Ford GT...

Later,

Brad

Last edited by Viper 10; 07-23-2004 at 02:48 PM.
Viper 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 08:41 AM   #59
LSR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to LSR
Well said Viper 10, I agree with you (from Viper enthusiast to Viper enthusiast and owner).

I read VA and VCA everyday, and I've heard lots about a new coupe but for me there is only one question. Will this new coupe be in the same bodystyle as the Competition Coupe/GTS-R concept shown in 2000?
LSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 12:55 PM   #60
DiabloGT
Banned

why would they jump from 500hp to 600-650 i can believe 550 but not that much lol, man viper is doing too good for only being 10 years old... good job viper, i am a big fan of vipers, but will never ever love em as much as a lamborghini diablo sv, and 6.0...
DiabloGT is offline   Reply With Quote