Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > RX300/RX330/Harrier
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 06:39 AM   #1
artbuc
AF Newbie

Major Error in Lexus Repair Manual

RE: 1999 Lexus Repair Manual RM626U2 for RX300

Electrical troubleshooting checks given in Volume 2, pages SF-42 and SF-46 for IACV are WRONG! IACV's in this vehicle are magnetic induction type and resistance measurements across the open and close circuits are meaningless. Also, you can't manually open/close valve by applying 12VDC across circuits. The info contained in this Lexus manual applys to rotary solenoid type valves like the one in my 99 Avalon.

After getting low/rough cold start idle at 78k miles, I removed the IACV to give it a good cleaning. Thought I may as well do the electrical checks per my Repair Manual even though I know electrical failures in an IACV are very rare. Based on bogus manual info, I concluded IACV was bad and purchased a new one from Lexus. It checked-out exactly like my old one!. Called Lexus and couldn't find anyone to give me an explanation. After some research I connected with an engineer from Wells Engine Management Systems who makes an aftermarket IACV for the RX. I think they may also be an OEM supplier to Toyota. The Wells engineer explained why the Repair Manual electrical checks would not work on this IACV.

I called Lexus Materials Distribution and they confirmed that the Repair Manual they are selling today is exactly the same one I purchased in 1999. It has not been been corrected to deal with this error.

I have asked Lexus to reimburse me for the $224 I spent on a new IACV. They said they would consider my request and get back to me in a couple days.
artbuc is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > RX300/RX330/Harrier