Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: Which car is better in performance?
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 31 91.18%
2003 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 05:50 PM   #31
Blakendp
AF Newbie

I'm a chevy guy, but in order for Ford to compete with Dodge and Chevy, I think they should probably reintroduce a new generation 428 big block that was in the shelby cobra gt 500 in either the next generation mustang, which i find pretty hot, or the gt-40 that may come into production. :sun: I don't like the fact they keep using superchargers in their v8 engines. Maybe Ford could bring back the 5.0 or even the 5.4 upgraded, which was in the cobra R.
Blakendp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 09:42 PM   #32
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to v10_viper
That's the thing i hate most about the Mustangs, is they use them little small block V-8s. If they put a 428 with today's technology then it would be somethin for the Viper to compete with.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"

There is NO replacement, for displacement...

2007 Kawasaki ZX10-R S.E.
v10_viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 12:05 AM   #33
DeViL
AF Enthusiast

Don't quote me on it but I don't think Ford is able to afford putting 428 big blocks in the Mustangs and make a lot of them. It would force them to make Mustangs, or probably the Cobra if thats only what you're talking about, very limited in production, about as limited as the Viper is each year.
DeViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 05:48 AM   #34
cobra_dude
AF Newbie

gt

Alright people, ford haters have been talkin a lot of shit about the new cobra, but I haven't heard any talk about the ford gt that's gonna come out in '05. That car is gonna kick the shit out of the viper! I read a review on the prototype (whick is using the mod 4.6 engine for now), and it sounds sick! Check out the specs on the gt:

Engine Type: DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, supercharged V-8
Engine Displacement (L): 5.4
Bore/Stroke (mm): 90.2x105.8
Displacement (cu in/cc): 330/5409
Compression Ratio (in/mm): 8.4:1
Material: All Aluminum
Horsepower @ RPM: 500@6,000
Torque @ RPM (lb ft): 500@4,500
Horsepower Specific Output (hp/liter): 92.6
Torque Specific Output (lb ft/liter): 92.6
Recommended Fuel: 91 octane (premium)
Fuel System: Sequential multi-port electronic fuel injection -(SEFI) with dual injectors per cylinder

Type 6-speed manual
Gear Ratios 1 - 2.61
2 - 1.71
3 - 1.23
4 - 0.94
5 - 0.77
6 - 0.63

Final Drive Ratio 3.36:1
Gear Synchronization 1 - Triple
2 - Triple
3 - Triple
4 - Triple
5 - Double
6 - Double

And let us not forget that the mustang GT is supposed to have the cobra's supercharged mod 4.6L in '05 in a 2-seater as well. Fucking ricers beware!

http://www.galpinized.com/fordgt/specs.asp
cobra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 01:15 PM   #35
farbod
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to farbod Send a message via Yahoo to farbod
cool that wicked i want one
farbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 06:52 PM   #36
jamesdem1123
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to jamesdem1123
u cant just look at the perfromance specs of a car u have to compare the weights as well, even so the viper has more torque so if they weigh the same the viper will still beat the ford gt
jamesdem1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:43 PM   #37
VenomInMyVeins
AF Enthusiast

Re: Which do you like better?

I'm sorry.. but your little ford gt isn't going to be able to touch the viper. If you're going to talk about production numbers and pricing (140K!!!) then you should place the ford gt up against the viper competition coupe... and then also the viper srt-10 will still take care of the ford gt... the power's the same.. yes.. BUT.... the viper has better traction around corners, a lower center of gravity, and it has oversteer instead of understeer like the GT has... The weight of the GT is mostly in the rear due to a MR design. This leaves the GT in a bad spot because the weight of the engine isn't over the turning tires.. this makes it easy for the front tires to skid instead of the rear. A good viper driver is known for his ability to control the oversteer in ways that awe most other drivers. The GT doesn't even have the potential for this. GT drivers.. beware. Your competition is a snake that's known for it's bite.
VenomInMyVeins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 07:16 PM   #38
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Which do you like better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomInMyVeins
I'm sorry.. but your little ford gt isn't going to be able to touch the viper. If you're going to talk about production numbers and pricing (140K!!!) then you should place the ford gt up against the viper competition coupe... and then also the viper srt-10 will still take care of the ford gt... the power's the same.. yes.. BUT.... the viper has better traction around corners, a lower center of gravity, and it has oversteer instead of understeer like the GT has... The weight of the GT is mostly in the rear due to a MR design. This leaves the GT in a bad spot because the weight of the engine isn't over the turning tires.. this makes it easy for the front tires to skid instead of the rear. A good viper driver is known for his ability to control the oversteer in ways that awe most other drivers. The GT doesn't even have the potential for this. GT drivers.. beware. Your competition is a snake that's known for it's bite.
Very well said, let the GT have it's accleration times, Vipers dont get the best traction anyways, and yet it still beats it 1/4 mile, but the GT has so much weight over the rear wheels you can drop it from high rpms and get a great 0-60. You drop the clutch on an SRT-10 anythying over 2500 grand and you'll spin your tires. I'll bet the Viper has better top end speed and plus like like VenomInMyVeins said, it'll smoke it in the twisties.

Old 05-07-2004, 11:45 PM   #39
VenomInMyVeins
AF Enthusiast

you've got it nailed with the 0-60. That's the only shame about fr drivetrains. But any car can really be built around 0-60 times... Put 4k into a brand new subaru wrx and you'll have 0-60 times that'll smoke viper's and gt's both. But these two cars are far from drag cars. If you really want to compare two race-bred cars... you must really take them to the track (hey... r&t.. here's next months headline ::wink wink:
VenomInMyVeins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 07:09 PM   #40
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Which do you like better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomInMyVeins
you've got it nailed with the 0-60. That's the only shame about fr drivetrains. But any car can really be built around 0-60 times... Put 4k into a brand new subaru wrx and you'll have 0-60 times that'll smoke viper's and gt's both. But these two cars are far from drag cars. If you really want to compare two race-bred cars... you must really take them to the track (hey... r&t.. here's next months headline ::wink wink:
I doubt we'll see that soon. Main reason is because as most everyone are expecting the GT to come out on top in track performance, it doesnt. I think on Motor Trend's site, they do show the comparison except they only show acceleration times, in which the Viper does beat it in the 1/4 mile, but they said something about the Viper edging it out on the track, just no times or anything.

Old 05-16-2004, 09:48 AM   #41
protouringparts
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang79
let consider what were workin with here:

$80k Viper
$35k Mustang

then thorw in $25k in extra goodies for the mustang, and you have a car that can whip the s*it outta that Viper. But stock, the Viper is by far better performance, but not neccicarily(sp) value.
This guy dosen't remember, Ford builds junk on purpose, to make money and to keep production prices down, all through the years ford has built junk and experimented with stuff. Look how many different V8 designes has ford had, about a ton, why, they were garbage and they had to build another one to replace the last junk they had, All this is true and has been documented over the years, yet people still buy the garbage. Oh well, people do even worse when the buy a Jap crap car, makes me want to puke thinking about how many of those sell...........

On a different note, The new Z06 is gonna give a new viper a run for its dinero, Look out Dodge fans.

Also Congrats. to Dodge on their great performance in NASCAR, They are making the Gm guys work, while ford is blowing engines to be in the dust that settles. Get toyota out of the Truck series please, they are a bunch of Jackasses with their stupid comercials.
protouringparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 02:46 AM   #42
Ooomph
AF Newbie

Yeah, ok... the $75k SRT-10 BEAT the $130k (just try and find one for less than $250k) GT40 in Motor-Trends comparo. Why didn't MT use the Comp. Coupe SRT-10 for the test since their comparably priced (also at $130k)? Because Ford buys advertising in their mag... The comp coupe (which anybody can buy - no waiting list) would have killed the GT40, easily, in any category...
'00 Ford Mustang

Ooomph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 02:13 PM   #43
NFS_SRT-10
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to NFS_SRT-10
actually, if i'm not mistaken, not just anybody can buy the comp coupe...only racing teams (or someone with a racing liscence) correct me if i am wrong but thats what i understood when i first read about the comp coupe

Dodge Talk

"it's been real, it's been fun, but it hasn't been real fun"
NFS_SRT-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 05:55 AM   #44
Ooomph
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS_SRT-10
actually, if i'm not mistaken, not just anybody can buy the comp coupe...only racing teams (or someone with a racing liscence) correct me if i am wrong but thats what i understood when i first read about the comp coupe
actually, you're correct in one sense. Racing affiliated people will have access to the comp coupe, however, anybody can buy a used and there's already plenty of them out there. there's some for sale on the vca right now.
Ooomph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 07:31 PM   #45
northbamaniceguy
AF Newbie

Pretty sad a v10 viper is only 1 sec faster with 10mph more in the quarter....not to mention viper cost twice as much.....and its not the fastest factory car either mustang cobra R is.
northbamaniceguy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster