Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 07:40 AM   #1
standupguy28
AF Newbie

Question Won't Start

I have a 92 Nissan Maxima GXE. For some time now, I've had a loss in power when reaching about 55-60mph. About 2 months ago I replaced the spark plugs but the loss of power was still there. About a month ago while it was raining, my car stalled for the 1st time since I've owned it. It took several tries to get it started again. It hasn't stalled since but about 2 weeks ago when it was raining for a couple days, it wouldn't start. It cranked good so I know it's not the battery but didn't start again until the weather dried. It's been starting fine until about a week ago while it's raining again. It hasn't dried out yet so it hasn't started yet. It still cranks like it wants to start but doesn't. I replaced the spark plug wires and it still doesn't start. I have plenty of gas in it. Does anyone think the spark plugs went bad because maybe the wires were bad? I'm also thinking maybe the timing belt might be bad or I need a new fuel filter maybe because it hasn't been replaced in a couple years. I don't know if any of the problems I've described are related or if the loss of power and the not starting in the rain are coincidence. Any help would be great. Thanks.
standupguy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 04:39 PM   #2
superchuckles
AF Newbie

check fuel pressure - sounds like your fuel pump went south. you could also check the filter, but - even very clogged filters will usually let it start, they just wont run very long after starting. if it's the fuel pump, when it finally dies, it dies & wont let the car start at all. if you're weary of disconnecting fuel lines & all that to check it, & you can't tell if the pump runs when you first turn the key to the "on" position, one way to check would be to pull the air filter out & using a squirt bottle, shoot a mist of gas in the intake then immediately crank over & see if it runs for a second. if it does, it's likely your pump is dead (usually it's located inside the fuel tank).
superchuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 04:52 PM   #3
mrtutt
AF Newbie

i'm not sure if that year as a distributor or not, but if does ,sounds as if you have a crack in the distributor cap or its just not tight.
mrtutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 08:17 PM   #4
dogbreath077
AF Regular

Put a cap and rotor in it.
dogbreath077 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical