Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #181
mavrik66
AF Newbie

Re: Codes 171 & 174 TSB # 03-16-1 update

I did this myself, I bought the kit off Ebay, $90, they are not OEM. I had a budget. It me me about 3 hrs. It was not very hard. While its apart. change your plugs too. I wish I'd thought about that
mavrik66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #182
CanadianCrusher
AF Newbie

Great Info, thanks to all ! I am ordering the kit today.

I am also having an exesive amount of Oil coming out of the tailpipe
and assumed it was the rings until the CEL came on and I did some investigating.

Could the problem be bad enough that its the cause of this.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

CanadianCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:31 AM   #183
penguinix
AF Newbie

Everyone, I filed a complaint about this on NHTSA.GOV

If everyone that has this problem complains, then maybe they will force Ford to do a recall. It won't do any of us that have fixed it any good, but will help out future owners.

Also, here is a funny story. I was at a repair shop for another vehicle a month or so ago (emergency repair!!). I noticed a 2002 Windstar up on the rack and I overheard the manager talking to a customer on the phone saying they would need to clean the injectors and "check the O2 sensor". When he got off the phone, I asked him if it was about the Windstar. He said yes and I told him about this issue (and gave him the TSB codes). They went and looked it up and were amazed!!! I have since talked to several other owners who have paid TOO MUCH to get this fixed, so I know from personal experience it is widespread. I have made it a personal campaign of mine to inform everyone that I see that has one about what's going on... and let them know that Ford is refusing to help with this issue.
Penguinix

My complaint # is 10216496
and the NHTSA site

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/

penguinix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:17 AM   #184
mundy5
AF Regular

penguinix,

i understand how you feel about this. i felt the same way about this when i first read this sticky post. but the reality of the matter is that b/c this does not directly affect the safety of the vehicle like fire, stalling, loss of steering, etc, they will not do a recall on this item. they also have the time factor on their side. most if not all of the issues come up after their bumper to bumper warranty which they will attribute to normal wear and tear.

so as much as i would want to join you in this fight, i am afraid it might be a very difficult argument to prove.

if your argument that the number of owners that have to do this repair is so high is valid, then a whole lot of other "design" flaws should be recalled such as the heater/blend door actuator that is made of plastic gears (unbelieveable). I would much rather prefer the metal wire design myself.

this would also work with alternators and other parts. i don't know of any car that has the original alternator after a certain # of years. they all fail eventually.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:56 PM   #185
penguinix
AF Newbie

I agree with you mostly. However, in my case here is my argument. When it was doing this (before I fixed it), we could be sitting at a traffic light and it the RPM's would drop, then surge to the point that it would actually make the van buck and try to jump forward. If someone didn't have their foot on the brakes, that could be dangerous or cause an accident. I know you don't usually sit at a traffic light without using the brake, but to me it's a valid point... what if it did that while driving.

My second point is that I DID begin reporting this to my dealer while my van was still under warranty, and had taken it to them multiple times.. At the start i only had 27,000 miles on it. They wouldn't even look at it and apparently didn't bother to check TSB's. I discovered the real problem after the warranty had expired and they wouldn't fix it then.

I feel like I had a valid argument for them repairing it, but it was refused. So, thus my campaign.. safety issues or not.

Penguinix
penguinix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:03 PM   #186
bassjam
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW1000
Gitzy,

You should get your codes read.

The DPFE is on the intake on the front right of the engine. It has two rubber hoses that connect to the EGR inlet tube and an electrical harness with 3 conductors. It is a small box about 3 inches by 2 inches. It is either aluminum (old design) or black plastic (new design). It is held on by 2 hex head bolts
I have gotten at least 3 DPFE's from Advane Auto. They only last for about 1 to 3 months. Is there another problem with my van or should I get one from Ford? James
bassjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:30 PM   #187
derffred
AF Newbie

Hmmm, I would be surprised if you keep getting faulty sensors.

I do not know if you have done this but there is a good chance that your EGR ports (under the upper intake cover, plastic plenum) are plugged with oily carbon crap.

The only way to clean them is to take off the plenum and use dental picks and a vacumm cleaner along with a cleaner to break up the carbon I used Seaform Creep spray can on mine it worked great! Also clean the port that goes from the EGR Valve to the intake (use a round wire brush for that)

Once you have it all back together put half of a can of Seafoam in the Brake booster hose into the intake while the van is running (you may need to increase the idle a little while having the hose off so it does not stall. after it is in the engine turn off the engine and let it sit for 15-20 min. start the van and rev to 2500 rpm until all of the white smoke is gone from the exhaust could be 1 minute maybe more and do not do it in your driveway you neighbours will hate you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ivYCV4x2z0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef3HNvxblxQ

hope that helps you.

Also I had another cause for getting 171 and 174 codes.....

I found out that a thin white hard plastic hose that was snapped was for the "Evaporative Emissions Control System" (EVAP) located between the intake plenum going to a unit atached to the firewall
in the Haynes book it states.....
Poor Idle, stalling and poor drivability can be caused by an inoperative vapor management valve, damaged canister,split or cracked hoses or hoses conected to the wrong ports So I think that was a major problem I had!

Owner of a 98 Ford Windstar
and a 01 PT Cruiser
derffred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:26 AM   #188
flewellen1
AF Newbie

Found a total fix for my 2001 Windstar CEL.

I SOLD THE VAN!!!!!!!!
flewellen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:55 PM   #189
kdinolfi
AF Newbie

What is the TSB # 03-16-1 and what problems does the windstar demonstrate if it had this?
kdinolfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #190
Off_Timing
AF Regular

Ok, so I did the TSB fix 2 days ago. The van's been used multiples times since.

I thought I read somewhere (here??) that the CEL will eventually turn off after the TSB fix is done...or am I mistaken?

I read the codes, and I'm still showing 171 and 174.

Should I just erase the codes?

It's a 2000 Windstar with a 3.8L engine, 101K kms.

Thanks.
Off_Timing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #191
derffred
AF Newbie

to be sure get the codes erased and drive the van about 3 or 4 trips, if it comes back on you still have a problem then, my guess would be a vacumm leak if you still have a problem

Owner of a 98 Ford Windstar
and a 01 PT Cruiser
derffred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #192
mundy5
AF Regular

Off_Timing, I believe that once the codes are recorded, they do not erase on their own so your gut is correct. you need to have them cleared and wait a few days.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #193
Off_Timing
AF Regular

Thanks guys....I'll erase it and keep my fingers crossed.
Off_Timing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:48 PM   #194
pcitizen
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to pcitizen

I have not seen codes clearing themselves. After performing the TSB I cleared the codes.
pcitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:52 PM   #195
jcostilo
AF Newbie

I am looking for a detailed explanation of what is wrong with my van. My 2000 Ford Windstar 3.8L check engine light came on. Here are the codes P0401, P1400, P017, And P0174. I have seen the individual problems posted, but wanted to know if there could be one problem causing all codes.
jcostilo is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar