Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Mystique
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 02:59 PM   #1
richnyc
AF Newbie

Question 1995 mystique won't turn over - again

My car is parked on the street and will get towed if I don't fix this sucker by tomorrow at 8am, so I am under the gun on this beautiful sunday to fix it.

I took the car off the road for 1.5 years. Then I had all the blets and fluids replaced. In August, the car just died at a light. I tried to restart it and it would crank but not turn over. I let it sit for a while then it miraculously restarted and as long as I kept my foot on the gas a little when I came to a stop it would not die. But if I did not keep my foot on the gas at a light - it would die. I had the fuel pump replaced and then I had the overheating problem, which required the impeller replacement.

After those fixes, the car ran fine for 2 months until last night. I came to a stop light and the car died. I waited for an hour and it did not restart - same problem as before - it would crank but not turn over. This morning it started on the first try. Then it would not start again. I let it sit for 3 hours then it started once the first time and has not started since.

Do I have to replace the fuel pump and fuel filter again? If so, can I do it myself and is this gonna be a bimonthly maintenance thing?

Last edited by richnyc; 11-07-2004 at 06:26 PM. Reason: update
richnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 07:51 AM   #2
flyboyutah
AF Newbie

Hello...I have a 98 and am expericening the phantom starter problem. It acts like it has teeth missing on the flywheel or the starter gear is not moving far enough forward to engauge the flywheel.
I will be pulling off the starter to see what is what.
flyboyutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 09:55 AM   #3
richnyc
AF Newbie

Re: 1995 mistake won't turn over - again

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyutah
Hello...I have a 98 and am expericening the phantom starter problem. It acts like it has teeth missing on the flywheel or the starter gear is not moving far enough forward to engauge the flywheel.
I will be pulling off the starter to see what is what.
i got this from another site hope it helps - i will be checking mine this week

I have a 95 Mistique 2.0.It happened the first time in a very hot summer day after driving.This week, it was cold. The car parkered overnight. Just cranked, cranked, and the engine could not catch up. It happened randomly and more frequently every since Monday.Problem found finally! It is the connector on the Crankshaft Position Sensor! I beleive it was broken long time ago. Oil and dirt gradually eat up the contacts inside. Whenever I disconnect this connector, it will crank forever. If I connect it, it fired up immediately.Hope it helps for you.+
Old 11-14-2004, 10:22 AM   #4
flyboyutah
AF Newbie

Thanks. That's great, I'll crawl under and check it out...this might even be related to my possible vct problem. (vairiable camshaft timing)
Old 11-14-2004, 01:30 PM   #5
richnyc
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 1995 mistake won't turn over - again

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyutah
Thanks. That's great, I'll crawl under and check it out...this might even be related to my possible vct problem. (vairiable camshaft timing)

no problem - let me know how it turns out
Old 11-20-2004, 09:47 AM   #6
flyboyutah
AF Newbie

When I removed the bottom timming belt cover, I found the small timming belt pully was missing it's ball bearings and most of it's middle. After replacing the belt, and few other odds and ends, it's running great. Code 1803 can mean 'idler pulley destroyed'.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Mystique