Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-27-2002, 01:17 PM   #16
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Polygon:

The V-10 that is in Dodge trucks have absolutely no interchangeable parts. They are completely different engines. Don't even compare the two.

The new engine is a refined version of the gen 2 engne. Intake and exhaust are much wider open. As you all probably know these engines are very underrated (in terms of power). Don't be surprised to see a 550 HP version of the engine when the Coupe version comes out (while getting 14 around town and 23 mpg on highway).

Brad

Viper 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 12:49 PM   #17
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
I knew that some of the parts were not interchangeable, but I didn't know that none of the parts were. Don't they at least use the same block? I don't know, I guess you do learn something new everyday.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 01:09 PM   #18
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

No the V-10 truck and the Gen 2 Vipers do not share the same block. The Viper block is aluminum and the truck is cast iron. Both are 90 degree V-10's. That is about all that they have in common.

The configurations for cooling, oiling and performance for a truck engine is VERY different from what you do with an aluminum racing engine. Viper engines are built by Arrow Racing. I know this first hand because I just had my engine completely rebuilt by them. The engine in the Viper is capable of taking the Snake to 192 mph at 6,000 rpm. The truck engine would self destruct long before this.

This is the kind of stuff that is spread around by competitors. I hope that this clarifies the differences. Don't spread this kind of stuff around, because it is not true.

On the other hand, this SRT-10 Ram is the real deal. It has the entire drivetrain of the SRT-10 Viper. It also shares the Brembo brakes that are on the Viper. This truck will go down in hot rodding history, because it's the kind of thing that only tuners dream of. This is a factory issued vehicle. Keep in mind that the cost of modifications for this truck will be extremely expensive in comparison to the rest of the truck market.

I would personally get this truck for my garage (to sit next to my Snake) before buying an SRT-10 Viper. JMO.

Brad

Old 05-01-2002, 11:23 AM   #19
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Well, that is interesting to hear, I did not know that. Now I feel ignorant, but at least you've helped me fix that. Thanks for the info Brad.

And I would rather have the SRT Ram as well.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 06:42 PM   #20
Michelobe
AF Newbie

Lightbulb WANT A SUGGESTION

Does anyone have any idea approx when this truck might hit the market?
Michelobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 07:01 PM   #21
BUFF_dragon
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to BUFF_dragon Send a message via AIM to BUFF_dragon Send a message via Yahoo to BUFF_dragon
as far as I have found out, it is supposed to hit the market mid 03 model year... so it should be somewhere between Jan, and March 03.

I can't wait to see one on the road though..... there are WAY too many 454SS's and there are 5 Gen 1 Lightinings, and about 10-15 GenII Lightnings.... I wanna see one hit our small little town and start beatin some ass.

I think we also have 3 Vipers (2 RT10's 1 GTS) too many foxbody mustangs to mention (those little bastards are EVERYWHERE you look), mustang GT's all over the place, and probably 20 Cobras, I KNOW that there is 1 Roush Mustang, and 1 Cobra R, but I don't know of anymore....

I do live in a small town, but we have the most milionaires per swuare mile of anywhere in the US.... we also comsume more Pepsi products, and bologna than any other place in the US.

well I thought that was some interesting, (eventhough it is STUPID) info
hope I get a few laughs out of it at least
Flowmaster Single-in-Dual-out Exhaust
MANUAL TRANNY (currently BLOWN UP, along with the clutch pressure plate, and throwout bearing)
as LOW as possible without a C-notch

98 Dodge Ram Sport
16.41@81.9 in the quarter (Bone stock)
now with no Cat. (I HATE those O2 sensors)
BUFF_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 10:43 PM   #22
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

SRT-10 Ram Truck

I have heard that this truck will be in the showrooms in late summer (like the Vipers). Production has already begun on these vehicles.

Full Story On The SRT-10 Ram Truck

Old 05-30-2002, 11:28 PM   #23
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Here Is A Truck That I Hope That DC Would Build...

I have never considered myself a truck person, but I have always loved this one. Now if they would only put a Viper engine in this one, I would be in heaven...

Brad

BUZZ WATCH EXCLUSIVE
FUTURE BUZZ: POWER WAGON
DAKOTA / DURANGO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Warning: This column is often based on rumors and information derived from unsubstantiated sources. Note: Any publication that reports on the copyrighted contents of this column without giving proper credit to www.car-truck.com as its source may be prosecuted for copyright infringement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The awesome Dodge Power concept made its debut at the North American International Auto Show in January of 1999. Since then I've received a few letters a day from readers wondering when the production version will be available.

There's been a ton of Buzz surrounding the big truck over the last couple years. The early speculation was that it was a preview of the direction Dodge was considering for the next Ram (DR). Later I heard Buzz that it would in-fact be the basis for a special heavy duty version of the next Ram.

The scenario was that Chrysler's underutilized Pillette Road Truck Assembly plant would be used to build both the Power Wagon and Dodge's full-sized SUV codenamed DH after the current B-van went out of production. The demise of the DH last fall seemed to put this one on hold.

After I reported that the heavy duty Ram would not resemble Power Wagon I received a flood of letters from disappointed readers. Since then I've been on a mission to track down exactly what's going on with this popular design. Here's the scoop.

Initially Chrysler considered two scenarios for a production Power Wagon. One was for it to be a special HD full-size pick-up along the lines of Ford's Super Duty (this is the vehicle that would have been built at Pillette). The second was to build it as a limited edition vehicle luxury truck along side the Viper and Prowler at Conner avenue plant. Both of these scenarios where eventually nixed.

So where does that leave the Power Wagon? The bad news is that Dodge will not build a full size truck based on this design. The good news is that th Power Wagon's design is the basis for the next generation Dakota and Durango (codenamed NB and HB).

Sources in Auburn hills confirm that Dodge gave us a solid preview of what both vehicles will look like when they unveiled the cool Power Box concept at the LA Auto Show this past January.

While the front end is resembles a scaled down Power Wagon, the design has been refined. The grill is slightly raked and has more of a trapezoidal shape. The hood is shorter and the side vents have been eliminated. The headlights are basically identical but they've smoothed out the front bumper to give the truck a sleeker look.

Overall it looks great, which is a good thing since this will be the front end of both the Dakota and Durango. The cabin of the Power Box is probably very close to what we'll see on the next Durango when it debuts in 2003 (as a 2004). The Buzz is that the cab and bed of the Dakota will be similar to the one on the Power Wagon concept. It should make its debut in 2004 as a 2005.

Both vehicles will have a longer wheelbases (approx. "10) but will retain the same basic outside dimensions as the current model. Interior space will be increased on both. The next Durango will have 24 percent more interior space than the current model and Durango and will be capable of seating eight. Backseats will fold flush into the rear cargo floor for increased space (with rear seats folded flat, the overall cargo length will be seven feet, which one foot more than in the Durango).

As previously reported, Dodge's new 5.7 liter HEMI V8 will be available in both the Durango and Dakota. The rest of the engine lineup will be the new 3.7 liter V6 and the second generation of the 4.7 liter V8. Some of the innovative features from the Power Box, including its "swing-slide" rear doors, "lift tail combo gate will probably make it into production.

While I'm sure that some of you are disappointed that we won't be seeing a production version of the original Power Wagon concept you should be glad that its striking design lives on. I'm especially happy to see that Dodge is taking such a bold direction with their next Durango and Dakota. It's exactly what they need to do with the replacements for two of the best looking vehicles on the road today.