Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Formula-One
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 05:56 AM   #1
ales
Forza Schumacher

Talking Solber takes Schumi for a spin

The link

Quote:
Rally star Petter Solberg has revealed that he recently had a special passenger on board, six-time Formula One World Champion Michael Schumacher.
Apparently the two drivers became friends when they met whilst holidaying in Norway. Schumacher invited Solberg to take part in a football match, an invitation which the Norwegian declined, and in return the World Champion of Rallying offered to take the F1 star for a drive.

Schumacher's contract with Ferrari stipulates that the German cannot ride as passenger in competition cars, but in this case the Italian outfit cut its star driver some slack. Consequently, Solberg drove his famous passenger through the forests on the Norway-Sweden border, hitting speeds in excess of 125 mph.

"Michael came up for about three hours," Solberg told The Times. "He loved it. He wanted to know all about the set-up and my technique. Trouble is, I never think about my technique. I just do it.

"Then we went out in the car," the Norwegian continued. "I did not hold back. My feet were going like drumsticks on the pedals. It was quite a run, no pace notes and some big jumps, all at maximum attack. He looked as if he enjoyed it. He got out of the car and was jumping up and down like crazy."

It's not known if Schumacher and Ferrari will return the favour, but Solberg's definitely up for it: "I would love to have a go in an F1 car," he admitted. "Why not? But I have to say I have no clue how to drive a single seater.

"I was offered a chance to race for Renault in 1996," he continued, "but my rallying took off then. To be honest, I like rallying better. Formula One is not really my thing."

Would love to resume my duties as AF's own official thread bastardizer!!!
1:29:53.435 || 207.316 || 310.596
ales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 08:17 AM   #2
ales
Forza Schumacher

Re: Solberg takes Schumi for a spin

"Schumacher's contract with Ferrari stipulates that the German cannot ride as passenger in competition cars."

Those contracts regulate everything, don't they? That said, he is probably paid more for just that clause in his contract than I would earn in my entire life. But how is Subaru a competitor to Ferrari?

Old 01-15-2004, 08:21 AM   #3
freakray
AF Modelrater

I think they mean 'competition cars' as in a race car. I don't think they would mean in a competing company's cars.
It's probably a clause in place to keep Ferrari's 'asset' out of harms way by not allowing other drivers to drive him.
freakray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 08:25 AM   #4
ales
Forza Schumacher

I'd think skiing and football are as dangerous injury-wise, or even more dangerous. IIRC some driver in F1 had it in his contract that he is forbidden from downhill skiing. Was it Nick?

An I misread "competition"...

Old 02-13-2004, 09:51 AM   #5
c32b1 NSX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to c32b1 NSX Send a message via Yahoo to c32b1 NSX

schumacher was "impressed". but ferrari should make a 2 seater f1 like mclaren did and schumacher should take solberg for a spin. lets see what happens.
c32b1 NSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 04:52 PM   #6
SaabJohan
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Solberg takes Schumi for a spin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales
I'd think skiing and football are as dangerous injury-wise, or even more dangerous. IIRC some driver in F1 had it in his contract that he is forbidden from downhill skiing. Was it Nick?

An I misread "competition"...
Björn Wirdheim said that because of the contract he got with Jaguar he cannot downhill ski och drive a motorcycle. It's likely that all drivers have similar limitations as an injury can be costly for the team.
SaabJohan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Formula-One