Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 10:59 AM   #1
CBaron
AF Newbie

Replacing the starter

How hard is it to replace the starter in my 94 Accord EX 5spd? Anyone out there give me some tips on it?

Here are my symptoms:
After the car sits overnight it won't start in the morning. I push start it out of the garage and then it will start all day, no problems. Then once again after it sits in the garage all night it won't start. I know your going to say its the battery, I replaced that yesterday and then this mroning...won't start. So now I think its the starter. Any other suggestions on what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance,
CBaron
CBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 09:42 AM   #2
hondacivic4drlx
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hondacivic4drlx
its not that hard. you have to disconect the power and ground wires and then there are i think 2 14 mm loing bolts to remove and the reverse the prosses to put the new one it. be sure to disconnect bater before you srat though.
it sounds weird though, if it was the strarter then it wouldnt start even after you jump start it. i would think if it was the starter then you would have to push start it everytime, but it might be.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:43 AM   #3
CBaron
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info hondacivic. I've done it a few times on trucks but never a Honda. My main question is there anything else in the way of the starter and where is it located? On other cars its usually underneath the engine, usually on the passenger side. Thanks again.

FYI-It has started everytime now. Only once since I replaced my battery has it not started! My hunch was that the starter was maybe getting weak, not completely out. Heck I dunno.

CBaron
CBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 02:24 PM   #4
hondacivic4drlx
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hondacivic4drlx
no nothing is really in the way. just move the intake and there it is bolted to the block through the tranny.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:07 PM   #5
Milliardo
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Milliardo Send a message via Yahoo to Milliardo
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by hondacivic4drlx
it sounds weird though, if it was the strarter then it wouldnt start even after you jump start it. i would think if it was the starter then you would have to push start it everytime, but it might be.
Actually, it can happen. My guess is that he was able to anticipate the problem before it got worse; if he didn't mind about it, what you described is what will happen somewhere along the road. My car also has the same problem--turns out the starter was burned when a mechanic tried to start the car several times (my alternator rotor literally broke to pieces--but that's another story), thus burning my starter. Now I also have to replace it. The shop I had my starter looked to said that if it isn't replaced, soon it will weaken further and will eventually stop the car from running. Further, because the car is hard starting, it will also affect your battery, as it takes much to start it. You might also want to look into your battery for that matter, if the problem you described has been going on for awhile now.

1993 Honda Civic ESi (Sailor Mars)
My wish list--I need help in this project: http://pikarod.fateback.com/car3.html
Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 10:02 PM   #6
DemonicAccord
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to DemonicAccord
I replaced the starter on my 95 accord and it was a bitch and a half, just VERY hard to get to. Good luck.