Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 04:50 PM   #1
littletonlady
AF Newbie

How to disconnect wiring harness from auto-dimming rear view mirror?

Hello. The rear view mirror in my 2003 Ford Windstar fell off--mostly--the windshield. It is dangling by the wiring harness to which it is connected. I've found several videos on Youtube showing how to re-attach Ford rear view mirrors and even a video showing how to replace a regular rear view mirror on a Mustang with an auto-dimming mirror (like mine).

But, I just need to know how to safely disconnect it from the wire harness AND (if possible) to leave it disconnected should I decide to replace the auto dimming mirror with a regular one (the auto dimming feature has NEVER worked since I bought it used in 2004). Would it be okay to leave the wire disconnected?
littletonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:04 PM   #2
bellaCuba
AF Regular

Re: How to disconnect wiring harness from auto-dimming rear view mirror?

Yes you can leave it disconnected. The main connector is either on the back of the mirror or on the base that slides onto the window tab. It all depends on your mirror. There are 2 or 3 versions at least. You'll need a mini-flathead screwdriver. Take a photo if necessary. Take a photo of where the wire meets the mirror. Good luck!

Also, depending on the version you have, there's a switch for the auto-dimming feature.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar