Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 09:34 AM   #1
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

C6 Z06 vs. Viper SRT-10 update

I do recall a certain argument I had with a couple people (actually one guy and his gruppie) regarding the new C6 Z06. His claim was that the C6 Z06 would not be quicker stock for stock to a Dodge Viper SRT-10. He busted out pointless retarted equations to try to make himself look smart, when in reality it was quite simple. Power to weight and shorter more aggressive gearing, most often equals quicker car. So I said ok, well just wait till the car is officially tested and that day may be arriving very soon. In the mean time a new C6 Z06 showed up for the Bristol Bash at Beech Bend Drag Strip, in Kentucky. The conditions for the car were not the greatest-

-Headwinds of a minimum of 20 mph (will effect ET and Mph)
- It was cold and no traction (effect ET)
-Z06 had a passenger (effect ET and Mph)
-BB sucks in general (effect ET and MPH)

Despite all this, the new C6 Z06 still managed a 12.0@124MPH, pay attention to that trap speed buddy, what do your retarted equations say about that? I will still be patient and wait for official magazine testing, but I'm just keep people updated, and no I haven't forgot. The Z06 vs. Viper saga continues.

http://www.81x.com/Authors/c6z06/c6z06.aspx

In case your wondering, the last Viper SRT-10 tested by-

Road and Track Magazine- 12.1@119MPH

Motor Trend Magazine- 11.8@123MPH

Car and Driver Magazine- 12.1@121MPH

Should be close, I can't wait.

Last edited by 3000ways; 05-05-2005 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:51 AM   #2
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

Re: C6 Z06 vs. Viper SRT-10 update

Some priceless qoutes from my compadre syr74-

"IMHO the Z06 will be very lucky to outrun the Viper..." (Wow and luck wasn't really on it's side for that 12.0@124MPH pass)

"That said the Viper does have a weight disadvantage in current production for when compared to the Z06. The Viper weighs 3,380lbs and the Z06 weighs 3,130lbs, for a Z06 weight advantage of 250lbs.
Basic math says you need a torque advantage of about 25lb-ft to overcome this (looks like the Viper has this covered" (Or not)

"Low and behold do the math on the new Z06 and guess what I found? The Viper crosses the end of the 1320 at about 122-123mph which is right about where it's 3rd gear tops out taking axle-ratio, tire-size, etc. into consideration. The Z06 on the other hand tops out at about 114mph in third gear." (Actually this C6 Z06 was still in third gear when it passed the finish line, and actually tops out at 125MPH, how come your equations didn't come up with that?)

"Now, even somebody like you can figure out that a 114mph trap speed is not going to get you through the 1/4-mile in under 12 seconds in a production car on factory rubber." (Hahahahaha, somebody like me, priceless.)

"I'm going to give you a little lesson in gear-ratios and the effect they have on a given car/powertrain which will hopefully explain to you why the grown-ups around here can properly frame a debate, and you apparently cannot. A side-effect of the Vette's "shorter gearing" as you refer to it is that each gear has a lower top speed. Now, that might seem like a no-brainer to some of us, but those who have actually done some drag racing like me understand that this can be bad as well as good." (Last time I checked shorter gears gave a car quicker acceleration and last time I checked the 1/4 mile drag strip was a test of acceleration, I guess I am the idiot. You see what I tried to explain to syr74 is that gearing and all of this stuff is never that simple. You see the key is choosing the best ideal gear setting- which most often is bigger intervals between the first gears tightening up as you get to the final gears. This is the case for the Z06 which hits 60MPH in 1st gear, and 90MPH in 2nd and then 125MPH in 3rd.)

Last edited by 3000ways; 05-05-2005 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:57 AM   #3
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3000ways
I do recall a certain argument I had with a couple people (actually one guy and his gruppie)
So just because I share the same view on the matter as syr74, I'm automatically his groupie? You're a fucking dumbass, and I hope you get banned for restarting a six-month old argument.

My '05 Impreza 2.5 RS.

Last edited by kman10587; 05-05-2005 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:08 PM   #4
crayzayjay
CFA

I love it when someone starts a thread with the intention of flaming another member

This is not 'Nam, this is AF. There are rules.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons