Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:07 PM   #1
friknbam
AF Newbie

white smoke, engine knock & coolant leak

I have an '01 Grand AM GT, 6 cyl 3400 engine.

It over heated about a week ago, coolant was low so I added more. Around that time I noticed white smoke/exhaust coming out as well. There was no odor to it so at first I thought nothing of it.

After a few days, the coolant reservoir was low again. On my way home one night I noticed an engine knock that sped up and slowed down with the RPM's but didnt get louder or quieter. Fortunately, the next day the Passlock system kicked in and I havent been able to start my car in a week.

I finally figured out the passlock issue (BCM was getting water in it from somewhere, cleaned off the connector pins and it started right up! found that fix somewhere on AF)

I changed the oil and the engine knock is still there. Now its a little more prominent and the engine was shaking tonight. Took out the spark plugs and they look and smell like they have oil on them.

From what I've read so far it seems like it could be a valve cover gasket and/or the head gasket. Any help is appreciated. Everything on here has been great so far, I was able to fix the Passlock issue without needing to get a dealer involved or even buy a new ignition lock cylinder b/c of info I found on this site.

Thanks!!!!

BP
friknbam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Re: white smoke, engine knock & coolant leak

Welcome to AF!!

Sounds like you have some problems!

Have you checked your oil ?

If its milky looking I would STOP DRIVING IT ASAP!

That knocking, could be a real problem!
Hard to say from here
(without hearing it) but its possible a rod or main bearing is screwed from coolant leak or the overheating.

The white smoke could be from coolant leaking into the pistons via a blown head gasket or it could be oil.

It'll need tore down for inspection, probly need the oil pan dropped too and have the bearings checked out.

Good Luck !
Old 08-24-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
friknbam
AF Newbie

I did check the oil. Looked fine, other than it needed to be changed. I'm having my mechanic look at it tomorrow.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!
Old 08-27-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
friknbam
AF Newbie

So the noise sounds like a rocker arm, coming from the top of the engine. Coolant is most likely leaking directly in to the exhaust, not into the oil, which is def good.

Oil in the plugs could be a few different things, we would have to tear it down to see for sure.

He suggested possibly looking at getting a new (used) engine for the car. Anyone have experience with replacing the 3.4 engine?

Mine currently has 155K on it. Thanks!
Old 08-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
inafogg
AF Enthusiast

i dont think i'd be talking engine if it is a valve noise that can be fixed with a valve job/head gasket & its not really a knock!!!
inafogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:57 PM   #6
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by friknbam
So the noise sounds like a rocker arm, coming from the top of the engine. Coolant is most likely leaking directly in to the exhaust, not into the oil, which is def good.

Oil in the plugs could be a few different things, we would have to tear it down to see for sure.

He suggested possibly looking at getting a new (used) engine for the car. Anyone have experience with replacing the 3.4 engine?

Mine currently has 155K on it. Thanks!

Personaly I would pull the valve covers off and look at the rockers, if they are not loose then ,it could be a lifter. A valve/head job and a set of gaskets are way cheaper and easier to replace.

You can pull the valve covers off pretty eary too, just loosen the recirculator tube from top of the water pump and pull it to the side, gently. To remove the rear you need to remove the alternator/coils and the wires, 4, 5 hours tops and realy worth doing. A used 3400 isnt cheap and could be worse off then what you have.
Even something as a valve guide(seal) could be bad leaking oil on the plug(s).

Hope that helps and if you need any more help I have done a few engine rebuilds.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:44 PM   #7
friknbam
AF Newbie

Thanks for the input guys, I'll be taking the valve covers off tomorrow. I picked up a haynes manual a little while ago and it looks like getting down to the head gaskets wont be too difficult.

good thing I have a long weekend with nothing to do, I'll let you know what I find.

Just looked at head gaskets online, do you think it would be worth getting a head gasket set? ($180-$210, depending on where i go)
Old 08-30-2008, 09:04 AM   #8
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

I think Advance auto sells the head gasket set, w/ intake gask. and injector O rings, for around $175. You'll need new intake bolts and head bolts.
Napa usualy carries these much cheaper then the stealership.

Have a Great Weekend!
Old 08-30-2008, 12:55 PM   #9
inafogg
AF Enthusiast

no need to get a complete head set.you're only going to use 4-5 of the gaskets.much cheaper to get the 1s you're going to use 50-60 bucks plus h/bolts
inafogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #10
friknbam
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by inafogg
no need to get a complete head set.you're only going to use 4-5 of the gaskets.much cheaper to get the 1s you're going to use 50-60 bucks plus h/bolts
ok, thanks! I wasnt really sure if I would need the others.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:57 PM   #11
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by inafogg
If he's pulling the heads, you would need everything in the head set kit, which includes several O rings and such you dont get with the seperate gaskets sets.
Even need the valve guide seals to do the job right, thats possibly where the smoke is coming from..

Here is a link to the full head set Fel Pro HS 9071 PT.
http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...pe=621&PTSet=A
See this pic for complete parts list.

Here is just the head gasket; http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...tNumber=9071PT

And here is the intake; http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...pe=102&PTSet=A

Everything bought seperatly costs a lot more and thier are several things NOT included when you buy the gaskets seperatly, might as well get everything replaced while its open to avoid further problems.

Have a safe weekend everyone!

Btw here is a thread on my most recent 3.4 heads/intake gaskets change plus headers install.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=909679
Old 10-17-2015, 05:38 AM   #12
milo n otus
AF Newbie

I'm having the same issues rattling engine issues. After tonight of driving that car around it overheated again as it has been for quite some time.I've been using water and just refilling replaced water pump cause of leak and now i started it and it smokes and sounds horrible but i gave it a little gas and it started to sound normal any suggestions?
milo n otus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:49 AM   #13
Tech II
AF Fanatic

With the cold weather coming, and just adding water to the cooling system, you run the risk of cracking a block, and then we are talking a new engine....

Which engine is this? 4 or 6 cyl?

Right now you need to flush your coolant system, and get a 50/50 mix in there....you also need to do and oil change in case the coolant/water has reached the oil pan....

Next you have to determine if it's an internal leak, or external one......with the white smoke, it sure sounds like coolant is reaching the cylinders, indicating a head gasket problem....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM