Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Aztek
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 10:53 AM   #1
jkayhome
AF Newbie

2001 Aztek gear stuck in park

Just yesterday my gearshift won't come out of park. Found the bypass and can push that in each time to get it to move. Once it's out of park I have no problem. Does anyone know what this could be? I'm out of warranty so unless it's an electronic module that is still under warranty I can't afford to take it to the dealer. I've heard it could be the BCM, the solenoid ( anyone know where this is?), a linkage or the shift interlock. The manual doesn't tell you where these things are so can't even inspect them.

Thanks
jkayhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 06:56 PM   #2
Pinecajun
AF Newbie

Re: 2001 Aztek gear stuck in park

I work on them a lot I have seen many that have BCM problems and replacing the BCM has fixed all of them so far.
Pinecajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:40 PM   #3
mapletek
AF Newbie

Cool Re: Re: 2001 Aztek gear stuck in park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecajun
I work on them a lot I have seen many that have BCM problems and replacing the BCM has fixed all of them so far.
i thought some cars have an interlock with the brake pedal and the gearshift out of park that is the brake has to be depressed before you can shift out of park. would turning the ignition key on and off a few times help? just a couple of things i thought of .also how much does it cost to replace a aztek bcm?i heard the 2001 and 2002 were buggy and fixed in 2003.
mapletek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:34 AM   #4
jlamson
AF Newbie

Are you still having trouble with it? When stuck in Park, will the steering wheel move in both directions, or just one. Sometimes if the vehicle is turned off before you let go of the steering wheel, I guess it binds or something, but if you relieve the pressure by moving the steering wheel while trying to shift, it will then go out of park. It happens on my '03 Aztek occasionally.

--Jim
jlamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:13 AM   #5
amestaxi
AF Newbie

Question Re: 2001 Aztek gear stuck in park

My 2003 aztek has this very problem drove it home on the morning of july 3rd the wife went to go to 6the store and it would not shift the following Friday morning it shifted out of park once now it won't i'm at my wits end anyone have any ideas
amestaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:00 AM   #6
Chameleon-kat
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Chameleon-kat Send a message via Yahoo to Chameleon-kat

There is a little gizmo called the BTSI (brake transaxle shift interlock) that is usually the culprit for this problem. It is located sorta under and towards front of shifter.
Chameleon-kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
The Silver Goat
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkayhome View Post
Just yesterday my gearshift won't come out of park. Found the bypass and can push that in each time to get it to move. Once it's out of park I have no problem. Does anyone know what this could be? I'm out of warranty so unless it's an electronic module that is still under warranty I can't afford to take it to the dealer. I've heard it could be the BCM, the solenoid ( anyone know where this is?), a linkage or the shift interlock. The manual doesn't tell you where these things are so can't even inspect them.

Thanks
How did you by pass the interlock? Mines having the same problem and I took to the dealership. They repaired the wiring in the shifter triggering the transaxle inter lock (they said that's the common problem), but when we picked it up it failed when my wife went to move it out park... It's the second time I've had it in - the first time the interlock was replaced...

The last thing I need is call "I get it out of park...."
The Silver Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #8
jimf15
AF Newbie

Where is the bypass? Anyone figure this out yet.
jimf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:51 PM   #9
big dave
AF Newbie

There is a "door" in the front cup holder that pops out. The bypass is a little white detent switch. Mine had soda spilled on it from the cup holder which caused it to stick and I sprayed it with WD 40. Works okay for over a year now.
big dave is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Aztek