Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
AndrewG
AF Newbie

1996 Sunfire wont pass emissions

Hi all, I don't post here often. I have a stumper I wanted to put out there to see if anyone has any ideas.

My gf's 1996 Pontiac sunfire (2.2L, 160k miles) Has never had a problem electrically. Her check engine light came on back in September and I just reset it (by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes) , figuring if it came back on I would get the error code and replace whatever was throwing it. I did this a month before inspection (in New York, vehicles 1996 and newer get the emissions test of the computer) to make sure all the components had "set" which can take up to a few hundred miles depending on the make of the vehicle. So one month and at least 500 miles later we take it in. In New York, you can have 2 components "not ready" and still pass.
After all that time, I still had 3, which I thought very odd, but ok. Since it wouldn't be ME getting any tickets, I just said the heck with it drive it and we'll take it back in a couple months when we KNOW they've all set. So, after her first ticket (yesterday teehee) we take it back and the same three things on the OBD STILL show not ready... The catalyst, the O2 sensor, and the EGR system. All of that is taken right off the printed sheet they gave me upon failing.
Any ideas on what this could be? My best guess is to replace the computer with a used one and see what that does... Beyond that I don't want to start dumping cash into this thing. Aside from the computer and one or two of these components I'll probably just suggest she get rid of it.
Thanks guys, I'd post more if I something to contribute, but as you can see I can't even pass a safety and emissions inspection.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote