Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 04:12 AM   #1
irish1995
AF Newbie

Unhappy HELP PLEASE!! 2004 Grand Prix GTP Supercharged

I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP supercharged.
I had most of my power steering fluid get dropped on the ground about 2-3 weeks ago. I wasn't able to get it fixed at the time and so I left it without any powersteering fluid. I was mowing lawns and I had my lawn mower in the trunk of the car which caused a good amount of weight in the back. I was on a hill going to leave and a loud squeeling/grinding noise started. I can feel what ever is causing the noise in my accelerator when my foot is on it. Almost sounded/felt like it was fluid going past something that didn't have much room. I was driving last night and felt a kinda light thud in the accelerator didn't really make any noise. Well the squeeling quit and grinding feeling seemed to stop as well so I thought I was in the clear. I started driving home from work and noticed that a warning came up on my dash screen saying something along the lines as "charging system failure/not working". This just started showing about 2 days ago. As well it said "shutting down AC in order to protect engine". That's when I noticed my car was overheating and literally almost maxed out. (the squeeling/grinding has stopped.) when I popped the hood to look at the engine it didn't feel hot at all and I didn't see any spots where It was smoking. Any ideas what this could be? I had one person that's nota mechanic look at it and he said that my serpentine belt was needing replaced and that I guess theres a belt in the supercharger that just completely isn't there. Its ran just fine up until this point. I did notice as well I had to take a long drive from Knoxville to home (25mins) and when I got home it looked like my supercharger/power steering pump was smoking but I couldn't see where it was smoking from. (at this point it was still squeeling/grinding and was NOT overheating). Now the noises are gone and its over heating and saying those warnings. I was planning on replacing the serpentine belt and putting the supercharger accessory belt on it. As well planning on replacing power steering pump with my next check. Is this possibly a bigger issue I should be focusing on instead of what I am? The car shifts great, Gets up to speed quickly still, and even ran well while the noise was being made. Again, Squeaking/grinding noise, Could feel in accelerator, pop was felt in accelerator, Squeaking/grinding quit, 30 minutes later car started over heating instead. I do not know much about cars and was planning on spending the day at a car parts shop trying to fix it while being walked thru on youtube videos. PLEASE RESPOND ASAP
irish1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:12 AM   #2
irish1995
AF Newbie

Re: HELP PLEASE!! 2004 Grand Prix GTP Supercharged

Please respond by direct email at shay_ireland@yahoo.com
Old 05-13-2017, 08:23 AM   #3
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

You cannot run a power steering pump without fluid. The squealing noise was the pump dying from no fluid and then the grinding noise was likely the pump locking up. When it locked up it fried the belt and that is why you started overheating, and the AC shut off etc.

Not only have you cost yourself a new pump, but you possibly damaged the steering rack as well, and of course are in need of a new belt. You went from something that could have an easy few dollar fix, to a fix that is going to cost hundreds to fix now.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:30 AM   #4
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

If the steering pump was run without oil (the fluid which leaked out earlier) it probably failed, locking up the pump and destroying the accessory belt. With no accessory belt the alternator would not spin, thus not charging the battery. With no belt, the water pump would not spin, thus not circulate coolant through the engine and radiator. Severe damage can occur from this overheating.

Before replacing the steering pump it may be prudent to verify that the cooling system is still intact, probably via a pressure test. If the engine is damaged, it may not make economical sense to install a new steering pump since a replacement engine would likely include a pump.

In retrospect, repairing the steering pump leak 2 weeks ago could have been comparatively economical.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:30 AM   #5
irish1995
AF Newbie

Unhappy HELP AGAIN! 04 pontiac grand prix gtp

I posted early and ended up diagnosing my cars problems. If anyone could point me in the right direction for a walk through on how to replace the power steering pulley and as well the power steering pump. I've searched google/youtube but my searches are not pulling up what I need. If someone could please point me in the right direction. Email me at shay_ireland@yahoo.com
Old 05-13-2017, 08:40 AM   #6
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Stealthee beat me to it...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix