Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Pontiac Classics
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
j4gwig
AF Newbie

fuel problem with my 76 grand prix need help

I have a 1976 Grand Prix,,455 automatic,with a 650 holley carb.car runs great at idle and even if you stump on the gas,but if you run it up to 3 grand and hold it there,it acts like its running out of fuel,and it stumbles on take off,have changed pump and filter,has a clear filter and it stays full of fuel,while the car is acting up,,any idea's would be great..maybe its not fuel,I just dont know at this point,,, changed plugs,has tayler wires I dont think they would be bad,,car set for 10 years,before I got it...had the carb cleaned,with new acc. pump and power valve..
j4gwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:22 AM   #2
j4gwig
AF Newbie

Re: fuel problem with my 76 grand prix need help

oh yeah how the hell do I get the distributor lose cant get it to move either way...
j4gwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
GTOHunter
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to GTOHunter
Re: fuel problem with my 76 grand prix need help

There's a vacccum advance that extends out from the lower part of the Distributor....check it and see it that's where Your problem lies?

Ok....the distributor is bolted/locked down with a forked shaped piece of metal that has a 1/2 inch or 9/16 bolt,it's located right at the base of the distributor shaft and is a PIA to get to.They actually make a funky little tool to loosen the bolt,it's a 2 piece tool that's L-shaped on both ends and it comes apart,it has a 1/2 socket opening on one end and the 9/16 on the other depending on the bolt size You need to loosen.

On a side note...You may need to spray a little WD-40 to loosen the bolt for the distributor hold down and don't over loosen it because the distributor with be able to spin or move too much or too easily.
GTOHunter is offline   Reply With Quote