Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 07:01 PM   #1
sprite46cfk
AF Newbie

Decaling Advice Needed

All - I recently sprayed a body with decanted Tamiya lacquer. The finished body had some light orange peel and a few dust bits so I went over the entire finish with Micro Mesh polishing cloths up to 8000 grit. Orange peel and dust particles are now gone and finish is very smooth.

My question is: Can I apply decals to this smooth 'flat finish' body before I apply the clear coat? Or should I add a couple of coats of clear and then decal and clear again?

I know decals over a flat finish is a no-no, but does the polishing cloth sanding process make a differences for decal application?

Thanks in advance,
Chuck
sprite46cfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:51 AM   #2
CFarias
AF Regular

Re: Decaling Advice Needed

Personally, I've never had an issue with silvering under the decal when I've polished only up to 4000 grit so 8000 grit should be not problem.

Sometimes the decals won't set well on polished surfaces but at 8000 grit that shouldn't be a problem. Rougher surfaces, such as 4000 grit or lower sometimes will not provide the decals enough surface to stick to, which will make it more likely to come off when the decal dries. Using a setting solution under the decal will help prevent this.

Hope this helps.
CFarias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:52 PM   #3
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

Is the surface still shiny/smooth, or is it totally flat with no shine whatsoever? If it has that flat milky white look then there is a possibility that when you apply the decals the milky look could show through the clear decal film. Personally I would use a little rubbing compound and restore the gloss before adding the decals. Just enough to remove the sanded look and be safe.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:03 PM   #4
Niro750
AF Regular

If you use a polishing compound make sure to thoroughly wash it off.

Decals won't be like adding more paint, you want a nice smooth surface not a keyed one.
Niro750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:27 PM   #5
sprite46cfk
AF Newbie

Thanks guys for your comments. I've decided to polish the body to restore some gloss and then add decals and finally clear.
Chuck
sprite46cfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:32 AM   #6
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Instead of polishing, another option is just to spray another very light coat of well thinned body color. You are using Tamiya lacquer thinner in your decanted TS color, aren't you? Add even more, turn down the pressure on your compressor regulator a bit, and just lightly dust on one last coat of color. Much easier and faster than bothering with a regimen of sanding, and it leaves a surface ready for decalling.
sprite46cfk (11-13-2016)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling