Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 01:37 PM   #1
ah91
AF Newbie

Dent in truck, cost of repair?

Hi—
A neighbor recently accused me of denting her truck (year unknown). This happened when there was a lot of snow around, in a tight space. I did not feel any noticeable impact. But from the angle and the tightness of the turn, it seemed possible I had accidentally dinged the truck, so after a friendly conversation I offered to pay, both of us assuming out-of-pocket cost would be $100-200.

It's a couple weeks later, and this woman just texted me that the damage is estimated at $2000! I'm baffled. (Obviously bewildered and frustrated in part bc it's not entirely clear whether I caused this dent—but that is a separate issue).

More to the point here, I'm extremely confused by the cost. I took a couple pictures when she first accused me, and I'm hoping somebody can tell me if they think this is a $2000 repair, and why.

Thanks.

Last edited by ah91; 02-22-2021 at 11:19 AM.
ah91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:58 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Dent in truck, cost of repair?

Because it is creased and on a body line makes it a more difficult repair. Even without being where it is is would still cost far more than $200. I do think $2000 is a bit high, but I could easily understand $700-$1000.

The biggest mistake you made was offering to pay. Unless there was absolute proof you did it you shouldn't have said anything. I would say its very possible you just got scammed.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:05 PM   #3
ah91
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply. Any other opinions of what this might cost? The 700-1000 estimate is helpful, and I'm trying to get a consensus (from the picture).
ah91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:34 AM   #4
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Unfortunately the way the laws are. She can take the car to the body shop of her choosing. If it was me. I send her a certified/signature required check for $1000 as an offer. In the memo section write "Payment in Full, Car Repair". If she cashes it, she has no leg to stand on to come back on you. And make sure you get a copy of the cancelled check for your records. Or you can offer lower.

Last edited by aleekat; 02-18-2021 at 11:24 AM.
aleekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:05 PM   #5
shorod
SHO No Mo

I wouldn't be surprised is a body shop would plan to replace that quarter door, painted to match. You could check on the cost of a used replacement door, then estimate another $300 for paint, $300 for labor to install, including interior trim swap over and possibly also moving over the window. I could easily see this being $1000 to $1500 to have a body shop do this.

As mentioned above, with the dent creasing the body line/curve, I can't imagine many body shops would want to try to pull or push the dent out and smooth it. The labor involved in that would likely exceed the cost to just replace and repaint the quarter door.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General