Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Wrangler
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 06:42 PM   #1
triguy
AF Newbie

Unhappy wrangler front end vibration

I have an '03 Wrangler and have some major vibration/steering problems at high speeds (50+) especially when decelerating (without braking).

here's what i noticed:
- few months ago i started to hear a clack sound from right front end as i turned into my parking lot (low speed 10-15mph). this has gone
away...

- alignment appears fine (drives straight with hands off wheel) and tires are good (jeep only 18 months old). no 4WD off roading with it.

- now when i drive above 50 and hit even the slighest bump or just take my foot off the peddle, the front end shakes violently and the steering wheel shakes violently.

I took it to dealer (still under warranty) and the say warped rotors...i didn't beleive it but was looking for a easy answer. so i let em replace em. stupid. problem is still there. really violent front end and sterring wheel vibrations.

any ideas on what is wrong?
triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 09:12 PM   #2
JDPascal
AF Enthusiast

Re: wrangler front end vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by triguy
I have an '03 Wrangler and have some major vibration/steering problems at high speeds (50+) especially when decelerating (without braking).

- now when i drive above 50 and hit even the slighest bump or just take my foot off the peddle, the front end shakes violently and the steering wheel shakes violently.

I took it to dealer (still under warranty) and the say warped rotors...i didn't beleive it but was looking for a easy answer. so i let em replace em. stupid. problem is still there. really violent front end and sterring wheel vibrations.

any ideas on what is wrong?

If you do a search on the forum here for "death wobble" you can find a whole bunch of info.

basicly it is caused by any play in the front steering or suspension and can have some other causes as well.

Check the tie rod ends, track bar, ball joints, steering box, tire & wheel runnout, wheel alignment, just to name a few things - anything that will allow or cause a vibration. Even if you have checked it before or think "thats new".

It can be very difficult to track down on some machines.

let us know what it was this time

JD
JDPascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 08:41 PM   #3
triguy
AF Newbie

Hey Thanks JD,

After i posted here i found "death wobble" on the net.

was back to the dealer today...they are going to put in an aftermarket steering stabilizer.

just hope it hasn't caused any damage...and next i need to get some dollars back for the un-needed brake-job! kind of annoyed, i don't know why they didn't do this first...oh yeah...commission
triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 06:20 PM   #4
Semrau
AF Newbie

2003 Wrangler... Death Wobble reduced when rotors were turned (19,400m). Tires have been balanced (dynmic & static) many times... Death Wobble does not occur during braking anymore (the rotors were warped) However, when I hit bumps in the road it still wobbles (not as much) and still shimmys (seems like front right tire) all the time and more so at higher speeds 65mph+.... Dealer says it's the tires (8" wheels, 31"X10" tires)... Except I explain that they are the same rims and tires (new) that I ran on my 97 Wrangler... Heading over to the dealer tonight to have him install their tires and rims and see if the problem goes away (I doubt that it will help).... someone ought to start a class action lawsuit against Damlier Chrysler.
Semrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:56 PM   #5
ralph phelps
AF Newbie

I am currently experiencing the same "death wobble" in my 1998, only intermittently. The same rough road triggers it one time, not the next. I have aligned the front end and replaced the stabilizer. Other components were checked by mechanic to be alledgely OK. Any ideas on things folks have discovered that reduced or eliminated this problem that I can check would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
ralph phelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 10:14 PM   #6
JDPascal
AF Enthusiast

The basic causes have all been gone over here.
The only other correction I can think of right now might be to increase the caster angle slightly if it is not already at the maximum end of the spec.

JD
JDPascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 05:54 AM   #7
1harley
AF Newbie

wrangler front end vibration

I have a 2003 wrangler with the same problem and went through the same things with the dealer that you did. I finally took it to another dealer. They replaced the front end dampening rod and the problem went away. The dampening rod is like a shock absorber that connects the steaing rods in the front end.
1harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:35 PM   #8
feelthelove
AF Newbie

Same Problem...
Front rotors warped…turned and new break pads….
Fixed!

I have felt the love.
feelthelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 11:10 AM   #9
trad016
AF Newbie

Two things to check are the steering tie-rod connections and the tire balance. My tires were balanced every 6000 miles and had about 1/8" tread above "bumps". Changed tires to 1/2" larger. Wobble went away.
trad016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
bear13
AF Newbie

None of these fixes work, this is a Death Machine my wife and i almost died,vibration started ripped wheel from my hands we bounced spun one complete revolution hit frwy wall and rolled to stop ther is no fix just someone getting Killed we fixed steering suspension steering damper new brakes and rotors and new tires even changed castor angles nothing works
bear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #11
phreaq
AF Newbie

Always take into consideration how and how high you are lifted, Because some lifts require more parts to keep the geometry right.

1. Check for any loose Front end parts
2. Check steering dampener
3. Rotate and balance tires (properly set tire pressure, not to the MAX press. on the sidewall of the tire)
4. Alignment

(For info on the above mentioned, search this, and other forums, as well as [your fav search engine])

My TJ is lifted, with oversized tires, and has never had death wobble. Also still have the original steering dampener installed
phreaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:19 PM   #12
AngryRedBird
AF Newbie

Agreed.. the Death Wobble is not something anyone should toy with.. We've suffered with our first DW last summer while traveling to Colorado and back.. At 60 mph, we hit a rough section of highway sending the front end into a volatile shake. Afterwhich, and over the last few months we've been systematically replacing components and having the jeep checked out.
Personally, I think one of the best things we did to our 08 was upgrade the bolts on the control arms and trackbar.. Then upgrading the steering stabilizer.. Although the 08 is a different puppy that yours, it still suffered the DW on a stock (non lifted, Non larger tires)
AngryRedBird is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Wrangler