Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Neon | Plymouth Neon > 2nd Gen 00-05
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
kozykids
AF Newbie

transmission blown question

2003 Dodge Neon SXT, transmission went a few weeks ago. Bought a used tranny with 99,000 miles on it. My mechanic installed it. Called and told me it was ready just waiting on another quart of ATF fluid, said it took 8 quarts to fill. Picked the car up, drove home. The next day I drove about 25 miles, check engine light came on, tried to get out of traffic and over but couldn't before engine started whining loudly (I think it threw itself into first). Pulled over saw a trail of fluid behind me, popped the hood saw smoke/steam coming from dipstick, pulled dipstick out saw nothing on it. Had it towed back to shop. My mechanic says the tranny was no good blew a planetary gear. Car seemed to be shifting fine beforehand, I shifted it alot in the driveway. Noticed this morning where the car had been there is fluid on the ground.

How would fluid be in my driveway prior? In looking in my Haynes manual it says it takes 3 quarts to fill?
kozykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
das2123
Tuning Neons since '97

Send a message via AIM to das2123 Send a message via Yahoo to das2123
Re: transmission blown question

Fluid on your driveway means it was leaking. From where, I can't answer. If you are doing a drain and refill,it would only take about 3-4 quarts. Doing a tranny swap, he probably drained the torque converter as well which holds about 3-4 quarts as well. Hope you had a warranty on the transmission. Ask your mechanic what type of fluid did he put in there?
Old 09-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
kozykids
AF Newbie

Re: transmission blown question

Well the tow truck driver said it looked like it was coming from the seal between the engine and transmission which I don't believe a new one was installed when swapped out. My mechanic asked me if I put more fluid in, I said how would I get fluid I was on the highway broke down. He told me he checked it the next day and the dipstick read full!!! There is no way with the amount of fluid I left on the highway and the dipstick was SMOKING when I pulled it out and showed no fluid on it. I got my money back from the used parts guy but he really feels I should bring it to a transmission shop because he and his tech's feel it was installed incorrectly. He said if it was bad from him it would have never made it any distance at all. I really hate to agree with him but the fact that I looked at that dipstick and knew what it read ( I looked at it multiple times while waiting 45 minutes for a tow) and there was fluid in my driveway something is not right. My mechanic is a guy I went to school with so I really feel uncomfortable about having it towed somewhere never mind the additional cash I'd be out to have it towed and looked at. At this point my husband just wants to junk the car.
kozykids is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Neon | Plymouth Neon > 2nd Gen 00-05