Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 03:37 PM   #91
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six
Re: Engine swaps we like and hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280ZXbassist
I have an 86' AE86 Corolla that hasnt been treated nicely(not by me, mind you) and the engine has all sorts of problems. i want to put in a V6 engine, posibly Nissan, like the RB26dett, or the K series motors.(those are nice) anyone with advice or another suggestion email me. BassJazzStar@hotmail.com
the RB series engines are all straight sixes. the V6s are VG or VQ series engines.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:57 AM   #92
280ZXbassist
AF Newbie

good point, i thought most of the nissan's were straight. but i wasnt sure. but the K series should work, shouldnt it? i mean, it is a toyota engine...
280ZXbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:31 PM   #93
BlackGT2000
AF Enthusiast

Toyota has a K motor too? I knew that Nissan had one and that Honda had one (though no relation between the two).
BlackGT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:55 PM   #94
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280ZXbassist
good point, i thought most of the nissan's were straight. but i wasnt sure. but the K series should work, shouldnt it? i mean, it is a toyota engine...
K series as in K24DE? as in the engine found in 240sxs?

if that's what you mean, then no. if it's a nissan engine, it's not a toyota engine, is it?

toyota did have a K-series, up to 1998. a 2-valve per cylinder unit.

but the most common swap for putting a different engine into an AE86 is to drop in a 4A-GE.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:42 AM   #95
jveik
AF Enthusiast

how bout this...

ive got an old chevy 350 in my garage from my project truck that got replaced with a 383 stroker, and my current daily driver while im finishing the truck is an 88 honda accord... and you guys know where im going with this

the car is only worth a couple hundred bucks due to some dude deciding to t-bone me, so i recon i could cut out the rear suspension, put a chevy solid axle in there, hook it right up to a turbo 400 with the old 350 coupled right up to that. that would be a 2500 or 3000 pound sleeper right there, unless you looked in the window and saw the smallblock where the rear seat should have been
jveik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 01:11 AM   #96
Project_BBZ
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Project_BBZ

What about my Datsun 280z? First I swapped in a mild Chevy small block 383.

When I blew it up I decided to step it up alittle....

Now my little Z car has a thumping 454 big block under the hood.

Pics and details in the link in my sig. Enjoy.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!!

1975 Datsun 280z 454/TH350 Swap

-Click Here for my 280z 454 Swap Info & Pics
Project_BBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:12 PM   #97
Rand Race
AF Newbie

Quote:
K series as in K24DE? as in the engine found in 240sxs?

if that's what you mean, then no. if it's a nissan engine, it's not a toyota engine, is it?

toyota did have a K-series, up to 1998. a 2-valve per cylinder unit.
Mazda had a K-series V6. 2.5L KLs in MX-6s and Probes, 1.8L K8s in MX-3s and 2L (KF) and 2.3L supercharged miller-cycle (KJ) variants available in Japan. Alas, these motors can't oil themselves correctly when mounted for RWD applications (many an attempted Miata swap will attest to that) so they're right out for a Hachiroku swap.

Sweetest swap I've seen lately was an S2000's F20 in a Miata. Supposedly a German firm has managed to get a Renesis 13b into a Miata but I haven't seen that one in person. By all accounts the RX-8's electronics make swapping the Renesis a bear unless you can get ahold of a Formula-M ECU.
Rand Race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #98
frank444
AF Newbie

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/967312749.html

rotary 510 for real and for sale
frank444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:40 PM   #99
mrdontplay
AF Newbie

I think 350 swaps are getting old. I plan on swapping an ecotec into my chevette

I will like it

Evo owners will hate it
mrdontplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:08 AM   #100
hundley_24
AF Newbie

i just traded into a 70 nova ss without a motor and trans. i have a ford 429 and c6 trans im seriously thinking about putting in it. any problems anyone can think of?
hundley_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:25 AM   #101
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hundley_24 View Post
i just traded into a 70 nova ss without a motor and trans. i have a ford 429 and c6 trans im seriously thinking about putting in it. any problems anyone can think of?
Yup. Many (but not all) 429's have front-sump oil pans, so the sump will be right where the Nova chassis cross-member will be.

If so, you will need to get a rear-sump oil pan and oil pump from a Ford 460. One from a full-size '70's Lincoln will do.

The rest will be pretty straightforward fabrication. The Ford engine mounts can probably be welded to the Nova chassis, but a bit of fabrication will be required to get the placement right.

The stock exhaust manifolds should work, just get a muffler shop that can custon-bend an exhaust.

The transm cross member will require fabrication, but that should be pretty straightforward. And you will need to fab a driveshaft.

But the 429 is very similar in size, weight and dimensions as the big block chevy, (which of course made it into the Nova) so there is enough room.

FWIW I think my 429 is an excellent motor, free-revving with lots of power. If your 429 was made after 1971, it will have a retarded cam timing that kills power. If so, try using a multi-position timing chain and advance the cam timing 2 degrees. Also, be careful of stock replacement timing sets They all have retarded timing, regardless of the year. The multi-index is the way to go.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:02 PM   #102
MadImportScientist
AF Newbie

i like all those swaps i especially like swaps that are not ment to be.. i own 2 cars a 1972 nissan datsun with stock l24 engine and i own a 1981/MkI toyota supra that is gutted to the bone weighs 1952 lbs and use to have the stock 2.8 with a crappy 116hp just until 3 weeks ago when i got a crazy idea to go and put a vg30dett also known as a nissan z32 motor in it im half way there every one said it was impossible and stupid ha! had to fab new mounts and driveshaft and might have to beef up the rear end seeing that it was only meant to have 116 hp and not 280hp. Now i know what your all thinking why didn't i put it my 240z? Thats becasue its to common i mean nissan to nissan swap whats the fun in that? Now a nissan motor in a mark I supra now thats unique i will be posting my video on youtube in a week or so and will have dyno's and most likely drag it to see what it will pull on a 1/4 and will post some pictures on here if its possible to post on here if all goes well! <hey just because im doing it dosent mean u should to.> (I live by this)
MadImportScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #103
theraginasian
AF Newbie

Question Re: Engine swaps we like and hate.

I have a fiero and i dont like the engine- the inline 4. its weak and low revving. has the 5 spd getrag manual. i am unsure of what engine to put in it but my friends have experience with japenese cars and will help me install, but dont want to sway my opinion. another available option is a 4.3L Vortec engine. i was considering the sr20det or a ka24de but have no idea if they will work. can someone help? i see lots of 3.4s/3800s and want something different.

Last edited by theraginasian; 05-01-2010 at 09:33 PM. Reason: misspelling
theraginasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #104
K2000
AF Newbie

the coolest swap ive heard about so far is the sbc into a Pontiac Fiero. check out www.v8archie.com they were featured on High Performance Pontiac too so they are experts on the Fiero

Last edited by K2000; 10-04-2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: add more info
K2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #105
K2000
AF Newbie

as far as i know they use the original trans and suspension which is cool
K2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General