Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > SLR
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 06:10 PM   #1
AlexusVTEC
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to AlexusVTEC
SLR vs. SL 65 AMG?

so i just read about a new beast of a roadster that mercedes is puttin out called the SL 65 AMG, 6.0 liter v12, twin turbo, anyone know if this supposed to be more powerful than the SLR? with more cylinders, displacement, and more boost than the 55 amg, wouldn't it make sense for this to be more potent than the SLR? I thought the SLR was made to be the flagship hence most powerful?
AlexusVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 02:11 PM   #2
farbod
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to farbod Send a message via Yahoo to farbod
yeh it is meant to be the most powerful car mercedes has built for a long time around 600bhp
farbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 12:43 PM   #3
MioCLK
AF Enthusiast

Re: SLR vs. SL 65 AMG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexusVTEC
so i just read about a new beast of a roadster that mercedes is puttin out called the SL 65 AMG, 6.0 liter v12, twin turbo, anyone know if this supposed to be more powerful than the SLR? with more cylinders, displacement, and more boost than the 55 amg, wouldn't it make sense for this to be more potent than the SLR? I thought the SLR was made to be the flagship hence most powerful?
the SL65 AMG is actually lower on horsepower,
612 compare to 626 for the SLR
but the SL65 has more torque, 1000Nm compare to 780Nm
MioCLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 01:56 PM   #4
zyajzarc
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: SLR vs. SL 65 AMG?

power to weight people... power to weight... the SL 65 AMG weights much more compared to the SLR. So, while the SL65 might have more torque and/or horsepower the SLR will beat it in evey catagory because it is lighter.

Quote:
cheap. reliable, or high performance -- pick 2, that's all you get.
zyajzarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 03:14 PM   #5
paulmartens
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: SLR vs. SL 65 AMG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyajzarc
power to weight people... power to weight... the SL 65 AMG weights much more compared to the SLR. So, while the SL65 might have more torque and/or horsepower the SLR will beat it in evey catagory because it is lighter.
Motor Trend or track or what not was saying that the CL 65 will only have two years of production...it is sad that the same engine wasn't tuned for the SLR...but who knows...maybe down the road it will? Any info on that?

Also, anyone heard on the rumor of the new SL body, due 2005 to mimic the SLR? might be another thread...
paulmartens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 03:38 PM   #6
12CylinderSymphony
AF Newbie

From the reviews in magazines it sounds like the cl65's chassis can't handle it 612bhp but the slr has a mclaren chassis and apparently fantastic handling making the cl65 feel like a boat. This will probably be the same for the sl65. Weight is a big thing too. An slr weighs 1693kg while and sl weighs about 2 tonnes. You could buy an sl65 (or even better a 575 maranello) and a 911 gt3 and still have spare change from the ridiculous near $500000 price tag. it costs £313000 here in the uk.
12CylinderSymphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 01:24 AM   #7
davef2
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to davef2
What people forget is the SLR chassis and monoque is all carbon fibre/ aluminium honeycombe, a big weight saving and strength advantage over anything else. The SLR shares a lot of the technology learnt from the McLaren F1. There maybe cars out there that would beat it 0-60 on a strip but remember it has been built to be driven on normal roads. There won't be many motors that would out drive it normally except the FI !!!

Dave
davef2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 02:35 AM   #8
zyajzarc
AF Enthusiast

Now that you've mentioned it, the SLR and McF1 are two COMPLETELY different cars. Yes, they both utilize technology extracted from countless hours of racing, but the SLR is a grand touring car, much like the 575 Maranello. The SLR and 575 share the same body style, huge bonnet / small cockpit look, but the difference is the rarity. Also, while the SLR is "co-produced" by McLaren, the F1 was all about the "purest driving machine" and it has been quoted by many people as the closest you can get to a street-legal racecar. The SLR it not about the "purest driving machine" but rather the most sophisticated and sumptuous driving machine. Its the greatest comprimise of all, sport and luxury, and it accomplishes this task quite well, albeit the $440k price tag.

Quote:
Old 01-23-2004, 02:41 AM   #9
89Turbo944
AF Enthusiast

Well my father is a mechanic and has gone on a traning course for the new V16 TT. It isnt all that special. The systems on the car will deffinetly not cope with the power very well.

I dont want to get into the details because the public is not suposta know about it but the car is over designed. To many new systems, to much to go wrong.
89Turbo944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 06:40 AM   #10
lynx_effect
AF Enthusiast

Can u imagine Brabus playing around with an SLR? I think the result would be interesting....... quite interesting indeed.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:46 AM   #11
89Turbo944
AF Enthusiast

Mercedes is making all Canadian(dont know about US but most likley) coustomers sign a form saying that they can not modify the car from the state that they bought it in. This does not include wheels and tires. But such things as engine, drivetrain, body.

They are doing this so that the cars they sell remain in tact. Personaly I think it is a good idea. How many 300SLR Gullwing's do you see around?? Thats because people started to tune the car and crashed them. They want as many of this rare car on the road.
PS I get to drive one, some guy in West Vancouver has got one on order and when it comes in I can drive it
89Turbo944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 12:39 PM   #12
davef2
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Turbo944
Mercedes is making all Canadian(dont know about US but most likley) customers sign a form saying that they can not modify the car from the state that they bought it in. This does not include wheels and tires. But such things as engine, drive train, body.

They are doing this so that the cars they sell remain in tact. Personally I think it is a good idea. How many 300SLR Gullwing's do you see around?? Thats because people started to tune the car and crashed them. They want as many of this rare car on the road.
PS I get to drive one, some guy in West Vancouver has got one on order and when it comes in I can drive it
It is more to do with the electronics on the car. Via a on board modem McLaren will be able to tell if any thing has been changed (engine), similarly to the F1, McLaren can do on board diagnostics.The car is set for all the latest emission controls for up to and including the new ones coming in effect in 2005 (Europe) therefore any tampering with the initial set up would effectively make the car unusable. Why would you want to change what already is very good.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:45 PM   #13
zyajzarc
AF Enthusiast

because "very good" can always be made better.

I don't condone the modifying of this car... it's actually a really good idea to keep it intact. BUT if they ever decide to race it in LeMans, then some SERIOUS modifying will happen. Oh man.... that just makes me happy.

Quote:
Old 01-23-2004, 12:57 PM   #14
davef2
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyajzarc
because "very good" can always be made better.

I don't condone the modifying of this car... it's actually a really good idea to keep it intact. BUT if they ever decide to race it in LeMans, then some SERIOUS modifying will happen. Oh man.... that just makes me happy.
Thats a fair comment, but making a track car is different from a road car. The F1 in track guise is a totally different beast than the road car (well almost) I expect it wont be lonmg before we see a SLR on the race track as it has the chassis and development behind it already to be able to cope with race conditions. It was tested on the same Inston rigs as the Formula 1 McLarens so should stand up to some hard work.

Dave
Old 01-23-2004, 01:00 PM   #15
davef2
AF Newbie

should read Instron Rigs