Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
doublea70
AF Newbie

Angry Trying to Diagnose Massive Oil Leak - 98 GT

*Vehicle Information In My Signature*

I went to my car the morning after a 100mi trip only to discover a massive puddle of oil under the car. Pulled the dipstick and the pan was dry, I lost a lot of oil somewhere on the trip (I know b/c my mufflers are even covered in oil) and lost the rest of it while the car sat overnight. It's obviously coming from the passenger side of the car. I've been doing some research here on AF and have narrowed the culprits down to these:
1) Gasket between oil filter adapter and engine block
2) Timing cover gasket
3) Oil pan gasket

I took some photos after pulling the wheel, belt, and oil filter off. The album can be found here: https://picasaweb.google.com/doublea...eat=directlink

My initial guess is that the timing cover gasket is bad. I'd like to get the opinion of the enthusiasts on here who may have dealt with this sort of problem before. Let me know if additional photos will help, I'd also like to get the harmonic balancer off for easier inspection. Again, my vehicle information is in my signature. Thanks in advance for any help!!
197k miles
doublea70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
ecartman
AF Newbie

Re: Trying to Diagnose Massive Oil Leak - 98 GT

Looks like your oil pressure sender may be leaking (item at far left in pic#3 with the green connector). To check, top up the oil, put the filter back on and remove the connector from the sensor then run the motor and see if oil is leaking from inside the sensor. Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea70 View Post
*Vehicle Information In My Signature*

I went to my car the morning after a 100mi trip only to discover a massive puddle of oil under the car. Pulled the dipstick and the pan was dry, I lost a lot of oil somewhere on the trip (I know b/c my mufflers are even covered in oil) and lost the rest of it while the car sat overnight. It's obviously coming from the passenger side of the car. I've been doing some research here on AF and have narrowed the culprits down to these:
1) Gasket between oil filter adapter and engine block
2) Timing cover gasket
3) Oil pan gasket

I took some photos after pulling the wheel, belt, and oil filter off. The album can be found here: https://picasaweb.google.com/doublea...eat=directlink

My initial guess is that the timing cover gasket is bad. I'd like to get the opinion of the enthusiasts on here who may have dealt with this sort of problem before. Let me know if additional photos will help, I'd also like to get the harmonic balancer off for easier inspection. Again, my vehicle information is in my signature. Thanks in advance for any help!!
ecartman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ecartman For This Useful Post:
doublea70 (07-19-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
doublea70
AF Newbie

thanks I'll give that a shot and post what I find

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecartman View Post
Looks like your oil pressure sender may be leaking (item at far left in pic#3 with the green connector). To check, top up the oil, put the filter back on and remove the connector from the sensor then run the motor and see if oil is leaking from inside the sensor. Hope this helps!
197k miles
Old 07-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
GTP Dad
Pontiac Guy

There are two possible causes here. Either the oil filter gasket blew out or the oil pressure sending unit has gone bad. I don't think you have any issues with a seal or oil pan gasket. A new filter should eliminate the filter gasket issue. The sending unit will take a little more work but it is not difficult to change.
GTP Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GTP Dad For This Useful Post:
doublea70 (07-20-2011)
Old 07-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
doublea70
AF Newbie

thanks for the reply, I will check these when I am off work this evening. I'm really glad to hear its likely not the timing cover or the oil pan gaskets. from everything I am reading, both are a real PITA. I just repaired a major coolant leak and then this nightmare happened 2 days later. I guess at 197k its about time I finally have some problems! I will post my findings later tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP Dad View Post
There are two possible causes here. Either the oil filter gasket blew out or the oil pressure sending unit has gone bad. I don't think you have any issues with a seal or oil pan gasket. A new filter should eliminate the filter gasket issue. The sending unit will take a little more work but it is not difficult to change.
197k miles
Old 07-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
doublea70
AF Newbie

ecartman, thanks for the tip. topped off the oil, put the filter and belt back on, fired it up and oil was GUSHING from the sensor. Just replaced the sensor and so far things look good. I'll drive it for a day and post results (after cleaning my underbody). thanks again!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecartman View Post
197k miles
Old 07-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
doublea70
AF Newbie

thanks again, this fix worked perfect and there's no more leak!
197k miles