Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 10:43 AM   #31
snglegrtguy
AF Newbie

Dash Rattle Technical Service Bulletin

Toyota has a TSB on the Dash Rattle. I will provide a link to a Tacoma Web site that has the TSB as a .pdf file. Just make sure you have Adobe Acrobat to view the file.

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/

Look at the right column and you will see the TSB for the Dash Rattle.

Hope this helps...

Joe
snglegrtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 11:23 AM   #32
wrigley123
AF Regular

Had the same problem with the seat. ('03 tacoma bench style seat) I removed the seat (4 bolts, very simple). I found a small bit of play in the seat frame after the seat locked into the track. This play was causing a squeak. I used some lockwire around the seat frame to get rid of the play.........NO MORE SQUEAK.......I've been squeak free for over a year.

Mike

BTW......my dash has made noise from day one!
wrigley123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 04:02 AM   #33
99Tacoma_Austin
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 99Tacoma_Austin Send a message via Yahoo to 99Tacoma_Austin
I have the same problem with my dash. Not sure if I"m glad I"m not the only one or not. I have noticed that it is worse when the dash is cool in the winter or when the AC is ccranked for a while. When it's hot it's silent. I'm gonna try a wedge like you guys did. Funny how Toyota has never addressed this.
99Tacoma_Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 09:37 AM   #34
heavydc2
AF Newbie

Re: Tacoma Driver Seat Squeak/Dash Rattle

I also had, had fixed and have again the seat squeak, It need to be tightened down to be fixed. I am going to try and tighten mine down to see if I can figure out which nut needs to be tighted to fix it.

I do get the squeeky clutch, and have had that fixed a number of times. If you get the squeek fixed, it will squeek again... its just a matter of time. What I keep in the truck now is a can of lubricant that is a non disolving kind. You can use wd40, but that will just not last. I think its a metallic based lubricant.

I do have the dash rattle too, it sounds like something went down in the defrost grate, its so darn annoying.
heavydc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 12:32 PM   #35
Tmack0
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Tacoma Driver Seat Squeak/Dash Rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavydc2
I do get the squeeky clutch, and have had that fixed a number of times. ...

I do have the dash rattle too, it sounds like something went down in the defrost grate, its so darn annoying.
As mentioned in previous posts, its a design flaw dating back to about the '96 model year (defrost duct too close to dash). Theres a TSB, and as common as it is (Taco's arent the only vehicle affected), dealerships like to play dumb, or play the "we cant hear anything, so we cant fix it" card.

The squeaky clutch is a similar issue, a design flaw, also around since the same year. After taking mine in about 7 times, they fixed it correctly, citing a "missing part". Go to the link below for the explination on fixing it. I am begining to question Toyota's quality and customer service. If a part is known to fail often (as this cheapo turn-over bushing does), a TSB and possibly a recall is in order. This bushing can wear to the point where it is worn through, and falls off the pedal assembly (thats what mine did, in under 1 year, and its starting to squeak again only a couple months after it was replaced). Once this part is gone, the spring in the clutch pedal is rubbing metal on metal, which can eventually cause a more serious problem. The other clutch issue, the "click" when pushing the pedal in, is another plastic/rubber part that either wears out fast, or was never installed at the factory (mine was making the click noise almost from day1). It happens when the pivot joint of the pedal arm and the push rod
shifts under pressure. The connector "clicks" against the side of the pedal arm. A bushing is supposed to prevent that motion.

http://www.lieblweb.com/tacoma/Mecha...tchBushing.htm
Tmack0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 01:47 AM   #36
Taco_Jon
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Taco_Jon Send a message via MSN to Taco_Jon
Hey I have a 2002 pre runner and my passenger seat rattled to but i took the seat out and realized that one of the screws had been lose and it stripped the screw... so I had to find a alternative method of attaching the seat back in. i took a screw and a washer... and used a nut on the under side to bolt it down
Taco_Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 10:41 AM   #37
HateMyToy
AF Newbie

Same dash rattle... same seat noise... A/C issues @ 15K, Starter @ 20+K, now electrical issues @ 30+K. No mods done to the vehicle to bring on such trouble... it's just a big, over priced piece of sh&%.

Let me say this much... I can't even tell you or even begin to put into words how much I hate this damn truck. First opportunity to get out from under it will be taken... along with the philosophy "To hell with Toyota". The only reason I don't sell it today is it's paid for and I don't want to get under a car payment. Actually, probably no-one would buy the damn thing... I'd probably have to go get raped at the dealer on a trade-in.

Did I mention I hate this damn truck!
~ Aaron
HateMyToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 01:54 PM   #38
ajbrown1128
AF Newbie

i have an 02 tacoma TRD 4X4 as well with the dash rattle, took it to the dealer twice before they pulled the dash and put some rubber strips between the dash and where it mounts and this took care of the problem, fornunately it was still under warranty
ajbrown1128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 05:05 PM   #39
njw_66
AF Newbie

Angry Seat Rattle

I recently put in a new stereo system in my truck, they had to remove the passenger side seat to mount the amp. I have tightened the seat down very tight. I have notice this annoying rattle when I go over bumps and whatnot. The seat doesn't seem to be on the slider track. I know that sounds strange since they didn't remove just the top part of the seat. I slide it back and forth, it works fine...no problems. How the heck do I get the rattle to stop, it is driving me nuts!!! HELP!!
njw_66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #40
Pickle Sniffer
AF Newbie

Lightbulb Re: Tacoma Driver Seat Squeak/Dash Rattle

Toyota Tacoma seat noise / squeak fix.
I know this is an old post but I had the same seat noise / squeak in my 2003 extended cab tacoma passenger seat. The seat would make a banging noise over random bumps only if no one was sitting in it. Was driving me crazy. It seem to be something in the seat sliding mechanism and tightening the seat bolts didn't help. BUT I did find that if you take out the back left seat bolt (the one next to the transmission tunnel) and put three washers between the body and the seat bracket, put the bolt back in the squeak is gone! You'll have to pry a gap between the seat bracket and the body to get the washers in. The three washers twist the seat slider / track mechanism enough to tighten everything up. Hope this helps someone else out there.
Pickle Sniffer is offline   Reply With Quote