Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 08:57 PM   #91
loismustdie
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Which of these subs would you get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFryman
you seriously do think that power is power when it comes to bass? a square signal will sound LIKE CRAP. about like a license plate rattleing on top of destroying your coils.
as i said before (though i will shed some light on it)

If i take amp 'X' rated to 1500w amp and amp 'Y' rated to 1500w.

Amp 'Y' had been shown to be able to bench 1600w@1ohm clean signal.

The highest reality clean wattage amp 'X' can bench is 800w@1ohm.

We will look at the signal. now we all know that wattage is Amperes*voltage.
@1ohm total average current passing through the coils will be 40a. this is at one ohm impeadence; in other words, what ever frequincy will give that coil exactly a 1ohm load.

if at Point A amp 'X' can no longer produce a signal verticaly it must produce extra wattage horazontaly, result? clipped signal. since the voltage will stay the same for a longer period of time it will move more current in that period of time and there for more wattage.

amp 'X' that can normally only produce 800w clean producing 1600w will have a suverely clipped (almost completely square) signal. this will cause the coil to slam forward, stop, idle (very short), then move in the other direction. the sound will be slightly quieter than amp 'Y' and will be very muddy and distorted (yes even bass frequincies)

Amp 'Y' will make the coil move forward, stop and allow the suspension to start moving the coil back the other way untill the signal moves in the other direction. the coild stays cooler, the sound is heard as it is sappsed to be heard and is slightly louder (i say only slightly because total wattage is total wattage. the distorted wattage will be louder than the clean wattage but not as loud beause Amp 'Y' will reach greater excursions).
ok first of all, you have senario with two amps that produce different power. i said amps that produce the same power........

secondly, i don't believe you thought i meant clipped signal=non clipped signal at the same wattage. thats quite possibly the worst logic i've ever heard/read.......

if a jbl amp puts out 1350 watts @2ohms, and a jl amps puts out the same, do you really think you'd be able to tell the difference? all other condistions being equal of course
Old 11-18-2004, 05:38 PM   #92
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman
Re: Which of these subs would you get?

they are rated to the same wattage...
but amp 'X' cant produce a proper signal at its rated wattage.

however if you would like to play thoes games....

THD% rating plays a large part in sound. though many woofers roll off before the harmonics registered frequincy can be played loudly, you are still wasteing valuable excursion and power with the woofer trying to produce frequincuies higher than they are ment to be played.
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 05:46 PM   #93
loismustdie
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Which of these subs would you get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFryman
they are rated to the same wattage...
but amp 'X' cant produce a proper signal at its rated wattage.

however if you would like to play thoes games....

THD% rating plays a large part in sound. though many woofers roll off before the harmonics registered frequincy can be played loudly, you are still wasteing valuable excursion and power with the woofer trying to produce frequincuies higher than they are ment to be played.
ok, so you are just assuming that you need 700$ to get an amp that produces a clean signal at its rated power. i disagree. again, do you really think that you would be able to tell the difference between a jbl amp and a jl amp?
Old 11-18-2004, 07:11 PM   #94
CBFryman
Banned

who said anything about JL. last i checked you could get a nine.1 for less than $400.

Hifonics makes some good amps

so does Pheonix Gold.

USA amps

and TruTech (though a tad more expensive. probably best bang for buck on the higher end amps).
Old 11-18-2004, 07:19 PM   #95
loismustdie
AF Enthusiast

why the hell are you agrueing with me? i still don't understand what you don't agree with me on.....i just threw in jl as a widely known high end amp.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:44 PM   #96
threedd97
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to threedd97 Send a message via AIM to threedd97
I've read about 50 threads so far in this section of AF and every thread you post in, you argue with someone and try and push JL or JBL onto everyone. You never support higher end products, you just advertise for JL and JBL over and over or some other cost efficient product that probably won't live up to its specs on paper.

All you're doing is poluting my thread which I'm trying to get help through. Instead, you converted some really good help into a total wasteful arguement.

Now, if I can ask again, maybe someone will read it before Loismustdie spams it back a page. I need to get some sort of rough design for a ported box for the XXX15. I have 16cf in my trunk. How big should the box be? Are there other details I need to be worried about when constructing a ported box for a single 15 as big as the XXX? My amplifier of choice will be the Cadence ZRS-8.
'98 Grand Prix GT 4Dr
'06 XXX 12"
Possibly a Cadence ZRS-10
Pioneer DEH-5500MP
threedd97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 02:54 AM   #97
KMoney28
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KMoney28

All you're doing is poluting my thread which I'm trying to get help through. Instead, you converted some really good help into a total wasteful arguement.

Haha you're new here, be prepared for big arguments and your questions getting sidetracked, it happens a lot.
Headunit: Alpine CDA-9831
Speakers: 5.25 Sony's and 6x9 Pioneer's(Both of which need to be replaced so give me some suggestions)
Optima Yellowtop battery
Lanzar 5 farad Optifree capacitor
KMoney28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 12:22 PM   #98
threedd97
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMoney28

Haha you're new here, be prepared for big arguments and your questions getting sidetracked, it happens a lot.
I'm not new here. I've been on these boards for a year and a 1/2. I've posted in boards online for about 7 years now and believe me, I know what happens to good intentioned threads . I'm just getting pissed off at Loismustdie because he keeps driving this thread into the ground and I really need this help.
'98 Grand Prix GT 4Dr
'06 XXX 12"
Pioneer DEH-5500MP
Old 11-19-2004, 02:09 PM   #99
bumpinstang77
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to bumpinstang77

Quote:
Originally Posted by threedd97
I've read about 50 threads so far in this section of AF and every thread you post in, you argue with someone and try and push JL or JBL onto everyone. You never support higher end products, you just advertise for JL and JBL over and over or some other cost efficient product that probably won't live up to its specs on paper.

Now, if I can ask again, maybe someone will read it before Loismustdie spams it back a page. I need to get some sort of rough design for a ported box for the XXX15. I have 16cf in my trunk. How big should the box be? Are there other details I need to be worried about when constructing a ported box for a single 15 as big as the XXX? My amplifier of choice will be the Cadence ZRS-8.
The cadence is a great amp and the xxx15 is a great sub you'll be happy with those coices....as far as a box I would give it around 4 cubes and tune it to 28 or 30 hz. If you want to go a little more for spl and lack some of the low-low's then do 35 hz as your tuning. As far as exact deminsions I can't do until i know height width and depth of what will fit in your tunk. Also make sure not only that it will fit, but that YOU CAN GET IT THROUGH THE OPENING. I've seen people make boxes a lot that will fit if it gets in there but it won't go in.
bumpinstang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 02:39 PM   #100
threedd97
AF Enthusiast

Thanks bumping. I think that's about exactly what sr20 told me to do as far as size and tuning. I'll have to go into my trunk and take measurements myself, and that won't be until Sunday or Monday, but I'll have them. I really appreciate all of this help.
'98 Grand Prix GT 4Dr
'06 XXX 12"
Pioneer DEH-5500MP
Old 11-19-2004, 04:25 PM   #101
bumpinstang77
AF Enthusiast

Okay....btw where are you located?......any q's hit me up on AIM s/n is RYDEme N mySTANG.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:23 PM   #102
loismustdie
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpinstang77
Okay....btw where are you located?......any q's hit me up on AIM s/n is RYDEme N mySTANG.
honestly dude, chill the fuck out, its not like i'm preventing other people from posting. actually, i don't like jl that much at all, i think they're overpriced. i also happen to enjoy high-end products, i just happen to think its a waste to spend an extra 300$ on an amp that won't make a difference in the way the subs sound, obviously sr20 thinks it will make a difference because he heard on jumping from an avionixx, i personally think that jbl makes a better amp, and have heard the jbl 1200.1 and let me tell ya, i haven't heard its equal when it comes to sound quality and raw power for the money. i think the cadence is a very very nice amp, but just too damn expensive. i would reccomend expensive high end amps for speakers, just not subs. i like high quality speakers and subs, and also high quality head-units. i started no arguement, read back, you will see that someone else disagreed with me and i simply posted a response.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:47 PM   #103
bumpinstang77
AF Enthusiast

Why the hell are u quoting me?
Old 11-19-2004, 09:09 PM   #104
CBFryman
Banned

no one knows. show me the chepaest new factory warrantied JBL 1200.1 and bench test results and if its neat the nine.1 and is chepaer than the nine.1 i will bow odwn and lick your toes....
Old 11-20-2004, 12:57 AM   #105
bumpinstang77
AF Enthusiast

doooood thats nasty ewww dont say thaat shit man............... ok well im out gluck with ur system man let us kno if u got n e mroe q's fryman quit fuggin arguin dude why u always gotta fight man???/ wtf just shut up dood

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio