Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Sonata
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 01:00 AM   #1
sun_Shine
AF Newbie

Stalling problems with 99 Sonata

Has anyone encountered a problem with random stalling with their sonata?

Mine (automatic) stalls at times in the following ways :

One, the engine will die while driving and it will automatically kick back in while I'm coasting.

Two, it will die and I'll have to put it in neutral to start it up again while driving.

Worst case, it will die and I can't start it in neutral, have to pull over, turn off the car, then start it up.

It's driving me nuts! Note that I did recently put in a remote starter and it does seem oddly coincidental that this would start happening around the same time. The people who installed the starter have temporarily 'disabled' it while I troubleshoot this issue. It's still stalling. Keep in mind that the physical connections of the starter is still in place.

My mechanic scanned it and gets a "Speed signal at TCM" error code when it stalls. Cleared the code, same problem. Checked transmission fluid, it was overfull (apparently Sonata is sensitive to this), corrected fluid level... same problem.

My timing belt also needed to be replaced along with the tensioner... did that and guess what... same problem.

So I'm really stressed. I think our next step is to get the starter people to completely take the starter out to see if that changes anything.

We were also wondering if perhaps temperature of the engine has anything to do with this. The stalling does seem to happen more in cooler or wet/rainy conditions but I can't say that's the case 100% of the time.

Please give any info that you can. Much appreciated...
sun_Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 06:09 PM   #2
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Re: Stalling problems with 99 Sonata

Huyndai still to this day has serious problems with these cars. I myself who owns a shop that installs remote starts every day can't see how it could be the RS at fault. This would be especially true since they disabled it for the time being. My sister had one of these cars and about every 6-8 months she'd have about the same problem. It turned out they catalitic converter was plugging itself up all the time. I would take it to the dealer.
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 06:38 PM   #3
Tiburon99
AF Enthusiast

Is it with the Gls V6's? Because if it is I should let my mother know. Thanks!!!!
Tiburon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 11:41 AM   #4
stodge
AF Newbie

I was going to go and test drive a V6 and a 2.4L tonight!
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 05:17 PM   #5
GTPSPEED
BOSTONjoe98gs

ok,im from the eclipse forum,but will try to help,have you checked plugs,wires,o2 sensor,try that,or at least check them,cuz if its that its pretty cheap to fix,oh try your intake temp plug on the stock intake tube ,could be that but would send eror code and check engine light would be on,but i hope i helped,,,,from a fellow forum member

ubend delete
3in jimmyC downpipe
magnaflow high flow cat
Joeflo CIA (made it myself)
free bypass mod
3.4 pulley from zzp
Gates premium belt
1 step colder plugs
zzp PCM
ss 409 xl turbo mufflers
GTPSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 01:05 AM   #6
ProjectEF
AF Newbie

Hyundais problems are more pronounced than other companies.
ProjectEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 07:52 PM   #7
andrew348
AF Regular

Is the check engine light on . a 4cyl or 6 cyl
i have seen a lot of intermittant stalling issues cured with a crank shaft position sensor
andrew348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 01:05 PM   #8
tlt22727
AF Newbie

I have a 2005 Sonata and started having stalling problems with it almost 2 wks. ago. I was driving down the highway and out of no where the car jerked and then just cut off on me. After the 11th time of this happening on the highway, within 10 miles, I called Road side assistance and they towed it to the dealership for me. The dealership has had the car since. Just yesterday they called to say "they THINK" they figured out what was causing the Sonata to stall out. They said that my car had an auto theft device installed on it...not by them and not by me...apparently, they got the car from a Northern Virginia dealership who installed the device. Well, they are saying this device caused the computer in my car to malfunction and my car basically thought it was being stolen...by ME! This just seems very odd. They have replaced the computer and removed the device. The good news is, I am not paying for the repair (THIS time).
tlt22727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:47 AM   #9
lax21078
AF Newbie

I have a 2003 with the same issue. It does seem to happen only when it is raining. I also noticed that the stalling is oreceeded by a ticking sound behind the temp controls (see my other post). The ECM and wiring harness were both replaced. Still same thing. Calls to Hyundai Care take forever and never seem to get anywhere. I am now waiting for a call back to see if they will cover more work on the car even though I am 3000 miled over the warranty expiration.

Thanks for letting me rant. My real question is now, could this be caused by a bad alternator or voltage regulator? The reason I ask is that sever dash lights have burnt out recently and the dealership states thia could be caused by the Alt or VR. Thoughts?

Thanks!
lax21078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #10
topsearch
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to topsearch Send a message via Yahoo to topsearch

sounds like theres quite a few 2000 sonata owners with this problem. i own a 2000 model 2.5 twin cam v6 sonata...bought it secondhand , was a bit sluggish periodically so had a mechanic give it its 90,000 service. when it came back it still had the periodical stalling and very sluggish acceleration...the mechanic replaces oxygen sensor and it worked ok for a day...then same ol problem... sometimes switching it off rectified the problem...other times it didnt...mostly it always comes back...are there any qualified hyundai mechanic in australia who can pinpoint the problem and rectify it ???
topsearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:34 PM   #11
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Nope, that's just what you get for buying one of the cheapest assed cars on the road today.
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
Old 09-19-2008, 07:36 PM   #12
Jerz3455
AF Newbie

I have a 98 sonata v6. It wont start, I dont know where to look first. I drove into a Walmart to do some shopping, when I came out, it didnt want to start. I finally got it cranked one day after it was towed, and it ran for a little bit. As soon as I popped it into gear, it cut off again. Now when I try to crank it, it turns over, but doesnt start. What could possibly be wrong? Crankshaft positioning sensor? MAF? Fuel pressure? Security features? Someone with a similar problem, please let me know. Thanks.
Jerz3455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:44 PM   #13
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

When my sister's Sonata did the same thing ended being a plugged cat. converter and bad plugs/wires. $1500 later she was back on the road.
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Sonata