Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 07:32 PM   #1
imster
AF Newbie

Honda NSR500 (1984)

If anyone wants the photos and the full build write up for this please contact me via PM thanks!

Hey all first posts on AF although been lurking here for a while!

Looks like some good motorcycle builders here and a few names I recognize too, so I figured this would be a great place to post my WIP's and get feedback and also learn from others here too.

So here is my 1984 Honda NSR500 which I have already begun on a few other forums so I will basically cut and paste until the present.

Thanks and C&C is always appreciated

Last edited by imster; 04-13-2018 at 08:28 AM.
imster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:36 PM   #2
imster
AF Newbie

Re: Honda NSR500 (1984)

NOTE: This is all cut and paste for the time being, updates will come soon

Next up on the bench!

This one will take some time as I will be flying out to UK in a couple of weeks for a month. I bought the kit with the clear parts but I'm not sure whether I will use the clear parts or stick with standard parts. I have a habit of leaving off cowlings and engine covers as I am crazy about doing extra detailing on engines so thats why I originally bought this with the clear parts. Maybe if its possible I will do one half without the clear parts and the other half with. I am hoping that while I'm on holidays that Top Studio releases a chain set for this, so fingers crossed for that
Old 10-22-2015, 08:06 PM   #3
imster
AF Newbie

Ok so not a huge amount done, mainly because I have been preparing for my UK trip as I have a fair bit of work to do while I am there. There will not be another update for over a month as I will be back home on the 23rd of September.

So here is the progress so far. I built the clutch and had to modify the kit clutch plate as the ones in the Top Studio set didnt match (which you will be able to see in the pics below). That said, Top Studio have done a great job with the quality and fit of all the clutch components. I have done a quick picture roll showing the various steps of the Top Studio clutch set.

Packaging, here you can see in the top left of the packaging the 3 resin clutch covers that covers pretty much all the Honda clutches of that era except for the 84 NSR500 (which I only found out about after opening the packet), normally you would choose which of the 3 covers to use based on reference:

Clutch basket with the different clutch spacers and plates:

All together:

The top plates which hold the clutch plates in position:

One of the resin covers with the assembly. 2nd pic below shows the bolts that go on the surface of the clutch plate. 3rd pic shows how it would look with one set of bolts on:

Comparison of the kit clutch cover and the Top Studio version (huge difference):

Cutting the kit clutch plate to get it the right thickness to fit over the Top Studio clutch assembly:

Modifications complete, I also smoothed the edges down of the kit part as it looked too blocky

Completed with Alclad Steel and PE bolt heads:

Next I began filling in the frame and rear swingarm with putty:

And rear swingarm primered, modified for the PE chain adjusters, and ready for welds to be added:
Old 10-22-2015, 08:11 PM   #4
imster
AF Newbie

So I'm back from my holidays and I've managed to get over my jetlag finally!! On with the build!

Not much to report yet, just lots of filling and sanding work taking place.

I've almost completed the rear swingarm, just need the Michelin decal to go on which was not supplied in the kit so I ordered it from HLJ and hopefully the parcel will arrive by late next week.

The petrol tank on this bike is located at the bottom of the frame, I decided to try my hand at making weld lines with putty, not bad for a first time but once the paint goes on it will be easier to see how good or bad the job was done, luckily alot of it will not be seen as the engine will be sitting above where all those weld lines are. If the welds look really bad I will just sand them off and leave it as it is.

I also did a quick mockup to get an idea how the body panels sit on this one. I have seen some pics of how this bike is displayed in the Honda museum in Japan and so my aim is to possibly display it like that if its not too much hassle. Either way this bike will be displayed 'naked' as the main reason I chose to build this kit is because of the odd configuration of the exhausts and petrol tank.

Anyways enjoy the pics lots more still to come!

Old 10-22-2015, 08:17 PM   #5
imster
AF Newbie

Its been a while since my last update sorry about that but its been a busy few weeks and my time building has been somewhat limited.

I have been doing some work though and its all bits and bobs but eventually it will all come together and hopefully look alright

To begin I received the optional decals which include the Michelin branding on the rear swingarm and the tyres. The swingarm is getting near completion just need to add the chain adjusters and a few tiny details and it will be complete

The rearsets are pretty much ready for paint. I used the Hobby Design PE parts for this but I modified the PE parts so I can fit some of the old plastic parts back on as I noticed the Hobby Design version has the rear brake actuator going behind the cowling brace whereas the correct routing is in front of the cowling brace. I decided to use the plastic part and shave a little of it out so the brake actuator can pass by it without and problems. The actual actuator itself has been modified, the brown line will head upwards to the rear brake resevoir and the connection pointing downwards will connect to the braided hose at the bottom of the pic, that line will run to the brake caliper.

Next up is the Top Studio chain, this was my first chain and I gotta say although very tedious and time consuming it was very good fun to build. After having built the Tamiya chain from the RC166 I gotta say the Top Studio chain is much more sturdier and in close up looks much more authentic. The cahin itself is not 100% complete as I will have to measure/determine the length that I must build the chain before completing it, once I have the back end complete then I will be able to measure it all up but by my calculations the chain needs to be 145mm in length. In the picture you can see the difference between the plastic chain and the TS version, also the front and rear sprockets are shown. I have looked at the rear sprocket and it seems that the TS version is slightly different than what is 100% authentic so I checked the plastic sprocket to see if it will carry the TS chain and it doesnt as the plastic is too thick and the teeth are too far apart. So I am left with a choice to either use the TS set which has a very slightly different rear sprocket (the correct version sprocket is flat, whereas the TS version has a little step in it) or use the Tamiya plastic set, and I chose to stick with the TS set as it looks so much better.

I also started painting the cowlings. I will be painting the Red and White but not the blue as Tamiya supplies the decals for the blue parts which means less masking for me!

Colour coat painted

1 coat of 2k clear applied (not polished yet) ready for the decals

Thats it for now, my next update will be dealing with the brakes, lots of parts as you can see in the pic below and there are quite a few tiny detail bits as well

Thanks for looking! As usual C&C welcome
Old 10-22-2015, 08:21 PM   #6
imster
AF Newbie

Next task I chose to do were the front and rear brake disks, these are part of the Hobby Design detail up set and when you compare them with the plastic kit versions you will understand why its must do thing to use the PE set for these. As mentioned in my previous update there were lots of parts that make up the front disks and I'm very happy with how they came out, I'm especially happy with the colour match I managed for the disk carriers.

First pic is a little comparison between both completed brake disks, the left hand side is before and right hand side after a light wash. I guess this shows the importance of washes and how they can improve and amplify the detail in the work you are doing.

A quick test fit on the rim to see if everything lines up, you can also see the rear brake in the top right of the picture, I scuffed it with 320 grit sanding paper in a circular motion to represent the wear and tear on the disk. I also sanding the front disks a little bit to dull its appearance and to show contrast between the disk and the attachment points.

This final picture shows the layers of PE that were used to build the brakes
Old 10-22-2015, 08:26 PM   #7
imster
AF Newbie

So a little more progress to report.
I am 3/4 of the way through the wheels but got a little excited and decided to put it all together and take some photos. I still need to put the tyre decals on and also the bolts for the sprocket. Speaking of the sprocket I have my solution to the whole rear sprocket being different! I simply turned the sprocket around and voila! flat like the 1:1 version

Here's a pic of the other side of the rear wheel with the rear disk, notice also the bolts on this side are silver whereas on the chain side they are anodised blue

I then decided to go a little further and check the fitment of the wheel on the rear swingarm, happily it all fits like a glove! the chain clearance is very tight but it squeezes through so hopefully no drama's come final fitment time! Sorry about the bad quality iPhone pic

Once the wheels are done I might start on the frame, but will see how it all goes.
Thanks for looking!
Old 10-22-2015, 08:30 PM   #8
imster
AF Newbie

Ok the wheels are fully completed and I'm pretty pleased how they turned out, this was also my first time weathering the decals on the sidewalls so any critiques or comments are most welcome.

I have been looking through all the reference pictures and there are two different versions of this motorcycle. The one I am building is I think the original or possibly the prototype and this is what Tamiya have modelled this kit on. The other version is the "later" version and I believe MFH modelled their kit on that version.

So far the differences that I have noticed are:
- There are air vents on the tank on the later version
- Side cowlings have different vent configurations between the two
- Rear brake caliper is different between the two
- The locations of the black coils on the side of the frame are in different locations
- The "early" version had the Michelin tyres with sidewall decals on them

There may be more but so far the Tamiya version hasnt mixed up the two which is good.

I am also working on the frame and adding lots of welding lines, I think Tamiya have left off probably more than half the actual weld lines on the frame!

Anyways heres the pics, hope you enjoy

Old 10-23-2015, 09:30 PM   #9
mgzr56
AF Newbie

Very nice work.
imster (10-24-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 11:42 PM   #10
ChristopheB
AF Enthusiast

Super clean!

ChristopheB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChristopheB For This Useful Post:
imster (10-24-2015)
Old 10-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #11
imster
AF Newbie

thanks for the kind comments

I've made a start to the engine, I decided to go a little heavy with the detailing as the final product will be displayed without the cowling on.

I made the clutch mechanism and I also added lots of extra detail to the distributor (I think its a distributor please correct me if I am wrong). You can see in the first pic the distributor as it comes from the kit (sorry about the poor quality iPhone pic).

Old 10-28-2015, 02:24 PM   #12
The Sheene Machine
AF Enthusiast

Superb work so far...very crisp painting and detail.
The Sheene Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Sheene Machine For This Useful Post:
imster (10-29-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 04:18 PM   #13
John18d
AF Enthusiast

I'm in full agreement with Paul on your build Imster
Excellent start on this build - super pictures and excellent descriptions.

Following this one to the end - salivating for more

Cheers
John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John18d For This Useful Post:
imster (10-29-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 02:27 AM   #14
michel1973
AF Enthusiast

Very nice work on the detailing!
imster (10-29-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 12:14 PM   #15
imster
AF Newbie

Thanks for the positive comments guys, glad you are to watch the progress

Next update!

The rear hugger has been completed, I decided to use Aldclad polished aluminum for the frame and swingarm as I believe it matches the 1:1 version (metal is slightly polished with a uniform sheen), I am hoping that the alclad will hold up and not fade too much through handling the part. I also did a light wash to finish it all off.

I have also finally finished modifying the frame and I managed to get some colour sprayed on it too. I added lots of welds and drilled lots of holes not to mention cutting lots of bits off too. I decided to use epoxy to glue the PE rearsets and exhaust clamps this should be strong enough to be handled and adjusted if necessary.

On to the pics:

Heres a quick pic of the frame so far (sorry about poor quality iPhone pic), I am praying that the colour doesnt fade as there will be lots of bits to add to the frame.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1/12 , 1984 , honda , nsr500 , tamiya
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes