Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
dragula1971
AF Newbie

04 Nissan Maxima coil packs

What is the best way to test these ? Thank's for any help !!
dragula1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
bratfry
AF Newbie

Re: 04 Nissan Maxima coil packs

The only way to test these coil packs is to substitute a good unit ( my opinion). In my case (99) than means that you must buy two, one style for the front and one for the back.

These coil packs have electronics in them so you can’t do the continuity test that some manuals refer to. I have replaced all of mine at least once. I also believe that they really don’t go bad as much as everyone says. They just get dirty and corroded.

This weekend my 99 started the skip a beat idle problem again. This has always been caused by a coil issue. I do have spares but this time I am trying something different.

I took each coil out, disconnected the shaft part from the actual coil ( gently twist it, its made of a rubber type substance and it will come off). Clean the coil contact , the spring that connects the coil to the spark plug and lubricate all with di-electric grease. Use the grease on the terminal connections also.

I found two coils with a dirty coil connection. These are not easy to clean, you need a very small long wire brush of some type or anything that can get down into the coil. You have to make the contacts nice and shinny.

Try it, it only takes a hour or so and it just might work for you. It did for me, at least for a while. Maybe you have to think of these coils as scheduled maintanence. Heaven forbid.

Gary
bratfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Re: 04 Nissan Maxima coil packs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragula1971 View Post
What is the best way to test these ? Thank's for any help !!
Pulling erratically misfiring cylinder coilpack/wire will change the misfire to constant. Pull out/insert each wire until the bad one is found. (Multiple misfiring cylinders makes listening challenging.)

Electronics can be tested with special electronics freezer -spray, buy one bottle from (?) radio-shack (5$ ?). One has to figure out what the results 'tell' in each application: here I'd spray one after another while engine idling and when the problem is ON. Spray each six coilpacks, and wait for similar response...

Some responses:
- Typically components start to behave erratically below -40 (freezer spray is about -60F).
- Too hot (broken) components may start functioning after cold shower.
- Broken printed circuit boards and cold solder joints may make contact (=start normal operation) when they cold-shrink.

Try the suggested cleaning for all...

Maxima INFO pages was deliberately trashed (!?) by Cardomain; dont goto http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507

There was a special Car Electronics -page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14
Nahkapohjola is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35