Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Let's get Technical!
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Let's get Technical! Discussion for hardcore in-depth motor heads!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-22-2001, 12:28 PM   #1
94hatchsi
AF Newbie

i want to build up my d16z6, how should i do it

alright i got my head pretty much the way i would like it.
heres whats all done to that
Fully Ported & Polished Head, Ferrea custom Stainless Steal Valves (mushroom cut, undercut, and swirl polished), 5-angle Valve Job,WebCam Dual Valve Springs and Titanium Retainers, WebCam custom VTEC Camshaft, AEM Adjustable Cam Gear (Red) ,all Guides and Seals replaced new OEM Honda , Ported OEM Honda Throttle Body , Ported OEM Honda Intake Manifold (port matched to head and throttle body) , Reprogrammed P28 ECU (fuel cut-off at 9,000RPM)

no what for a bout $2500 could do to my block for that. i want my car to be some what reliable too.
thanks
nic
94hatchsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 07:45 PM   #2
hondabitch
Banned

you need to get rid of the stock fuel pump that only puts out 195 and get one that puts out 255 then bord it out to a 2.0 get flat top pistons, titanium sleeves and rings. do that you looking at a big jump in hp because of what's done already. after that take it to a performance shop and have them upgrade you computer to dump a shit load of fuel. that should easily give you 75-100 extra hp
hondabitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 08:02 PM   #3
sweetcarz.com
Banned

Send a message via AIM to sweetcarz.com
Quote:
Originally posted by hondabitch
you need to get rid of the stock fuel pump that only puts out 195 and get one that puts out 255 then bord it out to a 2.0 get flat top pistons, titanium sleeves and rings. do that you looking at a big jump in hp because of what's done already. after that take it to a performance shop and have them upgrade you computer to dump a shit load of fuel. that should easily give you 75-100 extra hp
ya.....do I even need to comment
sweetcarz.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 08:05 PM   #4
VTEC_boi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to VTEC_boi
$2500 could buy you a B16A motor swap my friend....

Unless u just wanna see what u can do w/ your SOHC...in which case I recommend a blueprint/balance, some higher-compression DOMED pistons, and stronger/lighter connecting rods....

I'm assuming you want to go All-Motor because of your headwork....

Also...a little bit of ECU tuning (A'PEXi V-AFC is pretty useful) But not to add fuel.

hondabitch - please....research. Just adding more fuel will not give you "75-100 horsepower". If you end up added too much you will run rich - that's NOT a good thing.

Original PH Member (Reppin' for original PH'ers!)

www.lunspeed.com
www.jdmcivic.com
www.sweetcarz.com

VTEC_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 01:39 AM   #5
turbocivic4
AF Newbie

hey

Well i dont know how u want to go all motor with a d16z6
Y did u do that to ur head is it milled
If so no Turbos for u
Which puts u out of the ball game if u ask me!
Gude Turbo Head w/ Cam
Greddy turbo charger w/ Intercooler
Blitz Electronic Boost Controller
Weopon R Fuel Regulator
MSD Ignition w/ Coil
Bullfrog Throttle Body
Aem Underdrive Pulleys Nology Wires
AGX Suspension
Exhaust Systems
All Strut Braces
15 inch Albas w/GoodrichEuro Tires
Sparco Torino Seats
Carbon Fiber Dash
Momo Steering Wheel
Shift knobs w/ pedals
APC White Guage Faces
Custom Black Carpet
turbocivic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 09:23 PM   #6
5_LiTeR_EaTeR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 5_LiTeR_EaTeR
I agree with Vtec_Boi here. Dumping fuel into an engine will just make it run rich. The whole purpose and theory behind HP is getting as much fuel into the engine WITH AIR. Its perfect when you can get alot of an AIR/fuel mixture into that engine. Thats the purose of porting and polishing and what not. To get as much of that good stuff into the combustion chamber. Personally I would have gotten a B16a... Not like I don't already have one =) but you would have been better off with the DOHC Vtec. The built SOHC won't ever have as much power potential as a built DOHC.
5_LiTeR_EaTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 09:53 PM   #7
piscorpio
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to piscorpio
Is swap fever catching again? The guy has a SOHC, he has done alot of work to it, and thats what he is working with, bottomline. Sure he could always get a B16, or aB18 or an H22, or he could just buy a car with a V8! The point is, there is always a bigger engine out there, if the guy wants to get the best out of what he has, I say more power to him....I just wish I could be of more help and provide him with some info! Off the top of my head, I could think of new rods and pistons to up the compression ratio. So, is anyone up to the task of helping? Obviously, getting alot out of a SOHC is going to be a challenge, but when all is said and done, you can be proud of the work youve done. Isn't that why we do this stuff? (I know thats a big part of it for me.)
piscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 10:00 PM   #8
5_LiTeR_EaTeR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 5_LiTeR_EaTeR
Very True... Amen.
5_LiTeR_EaTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 12:29 AM   #9
turbocivic4
AF Newbie

yeah

HALELULUI -GOD BLESSS

LONG LIVE SOHC---------HAHA

PS. PERSONALLY I HAD A B16A AND MY D16 WOULD SMOKE IT SILLY W/NO TURBOS ON THE B16
Gude Turbo Head w/ Cam
Greddy turbo charger w/ Intercooler
Blitz Electronic Boost Controller
Weopon R Fuel Regulator
MSD Ignition w/ Coil
Bullfrog Throttle Body
Aem Underdrive Pulleys Nology Wires
AGX Suspension
Exhaust Systems
All Strut Braces
15 inch Albas w/GoodrichEuro Tires
Sparco Torino Seats
Carbon Fiber Dash
Momo Steering Wheel
Shift knobs w/ pedals
APC White Guage Faces
Custom Black Carpet
turbocivic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 01:12 AM   #10
Frostbyte
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Frostbyte
I am going to be sticking with the SOHC and the plan is to get 250HP to the wheels with the SOHC. It can be done and it will be done. I have seen N/A SOHC's run 12's I am going to be going F/I
JIC Magic Front and Rear Strut Bars
Slotted and Cross-drilled Rotors
S/S Brake Lines
Pivot Lazy eye controller
Blitz LM Intake
Blitz D1 Spec Turbo Timer
Soon to come:
Sard 550cc Injectors
Blitz Nur Spec Exhaust
Blitz Down pipe
HKS FMIC
http://www.driftmonkey.com (Part Owner)
Frostbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 09:49 PM   #11
94hatchsi
AF Newbie

thank god some ppl that think the sohc has some potential. but what im kinda am lookin for is what kinda pistons and such to the bottom would make my car almost bullet proof, and once again thank you all for you support.
nic
94hatchsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 10:30 PM   #12
piscorpio
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to piscorpio
Quote:
Originally posted by 94hatchsi
thank god some ppl that think the sohc has some potential. but what im kinda am lookin for is what kinda pistons and such to the bottom would make my car almost bullet proof, and once again thank you all for you support.
nic
Hmm, if you dont seem to be getting answers here, might I suggest checking out www.theoldone.com , they have alot of info on building up engines, even the D series. I know they focus alot on supercharging, but I believe they have NA applications as well.
piscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 01:23 AM   #13
exospeedAMcrx
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to exospeedAMcrx
The SOHC's are underrated in my opinion. In a way thats ok... Its fun to be different and smoke the Dual cams.

I have been SOHC ever since but I also build some dope Dual cams.
So what do you want out of the SOHC? Do you want to run 13s, 12s or even 11's All Motor.

Ok, lets build a motor for the general public. Taking into consideration, costs and reliability. With this in mind, I would shoot for a daily driven 13 sec SOHC VTEC or 13 sec non-VTEC SOHC.

When I build a setup like this for people, I start of with the headwork, cam, and if the cam needs it, performance valve train.
Polish the intake manifold and match port to the head and with the ported throttle body. Get the Basic I/H/E.
This setup will get you into the low 14s and is very reliable.

Now to get deep into the 13's. Lets do the bottom end. Since it wont be pushing HP near 200HP. The block can retain the stock rods. The only upgrade will be the pistons. An 11:1 to 11.5:1 compression piston would be good on the street on 91 octane(we have a b20/VTEC on 12:1 on 91 octane, runs fine... 1+ yrs already).
With this block and head setup, a little tuning with the cam and cam gear can take the SOHC VTEC or the Non vtec into the 13 sec range.

Not bad for a daily driven SOHC. Of course if you want to get faster, higher compression, overbore, more aggresive cam are all options for more speed.

I have been racing by 89 CRX SOHC nonvtec for 3 years. Its very consistent and is great for bracket racing. The setup is just headwork, cam, cam gear, I/H/E. and on the stock clutch and stock block. Been running 13.6's @99mph for 3 years and with 60k+ miles on the motor.

SO give the SOHC a chance... not everyone can do a swap, and its not necesarilly the answer to more speed. A dual cam/hydro swap into a CRX can cost at least $3000. Regular stock dual cam swaps usually only run in the mid 14's. you'll spend less on the the SOHC buildup and be way faster that them. Well... hope I can be of more help.
Feel free to email for any questions.

Wil www.exospeed.com
exospeedAMcrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 12:33 PM   #14
Frostbyte
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Frostbyte
That was an awesome post. DO you know anything about F/I on a SOHC. That what I plan on doing myself. What do you guys think? I am going to be running a Greddy Turbo and also going to be doing a build-up. I am going to be sticking with the smaller turbo because it will spool up faster and I am going to be running prob 8pounds.
JIC Magic Front and Rear Strut Bars
Slotted and Cross-drilled Rotors
S/S Brake Lines
Pivot Lazy eye controller
Blitz LM Intake
Blitz D1 Spec Turbo Timer
Soon to come:
Sard 550cc Injectors
Blitz Nur Spec Exhaust
Blitz Down pipe
HKS FMIC
http://www.driftmonkey.com (Part Owner)
Frostbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 05:16 PM   #15
hrdcorezc
AF Enthusiast

Since you've already done the headwork, might I suggest a JG Pro Series short block assy ($2295 w/ core exchange). Hot tanked & jet washed (to remove the sludge from the oil galleys), stock cylinder sleeves are removed in favor of thicker wall ductile iron sleeves. Then the whole thing is balanced, blueprinted, and assembled with ESP rods and SRP pistons (your choice of rings) w/ compression ratio's from 8.5:1 - 11:1. These shortblocks can handle up to 30psi of boost and are rated for a maximum output of 450hp, with the nescessary eng mgt and fuel system upgrades of course. You can even have the engine solid decked with a custom JG CNC block brace. You can check it all out at www.jgenginedynamics.com. When I get the money, thats where I'm taking my ZC. You can't get much more bullet proof than that.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Let's get Technical!