Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Chevrolet Classics
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 04:27 PM   #1
imakedacookies
AF Regular

1949-51 chevy 4400

Hey guys, my landlord is giving me a 49-51 chevy 4400. She doesn't know the exact year and says not to open anything up until she confirms with her dad that I can have it. So right now I'm just trying to do research as the oldest vehicle I've ever owned or worked on was a 67 ford truck. From what I've found it should have the 235 straight 6 I think. That's about all I found. Can anyone tell me if it's a 3 or 4 speed, if it's a 1 or 2 speed axle and any other information that I probably don't know that could be useful for getting it back up and running and how to even drive it. I'm clueless when it comes to trucks this old and would like to learn as much as possible.

Thanks for any responses
imakedacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:08 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: 1949-51 chevy 4400

You need to look at the trans shift positions to tell if it is 3 or4, a 2 speed would have a seperate lever, try and get a shop manual for the best info. It is a 235 most likely.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:43 PM   #3
imakedacookies
AF Regular

Awesome thank you. The shift knob is gone, so I guess I'll just have to mess around with it once it's actually mine. Any tips on getting it running? Or should it be similar enough to my 67 to figure it out?
Old 12-22-2016, 08:09 PM   #4
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Similar?

It will be similar with respect to the Kettering (breaker point) ignition system, carburetion, mechanical fuel pump, fuel tank in the cab, and several other features.

It will likely be dissimilar in the electrical systems (6V), starter operation (possibly still a floor switch), single master cylinder (probably under the floor), generator (D.C., with full current brushes) instead of an alternator, non-synchonized transmission, lack of an oil filter, straight front axle with kingpins, both axles mounted on leaf springs, torque tube rear axle w/enclosed (wet) driveshaft, and numerous other areas.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:29 PM   #5
imakedacookies
AF Regular

You said something that scared the crap out of me ha. I have no idea how to drive a non synchronized transmission. I kind of understand the concept of shifting at the correct rpms and double clutching and all that, but never actually drove one. Would I ruin the transmission driving like I would a newer manual? Or do I need to aquire new skills to not destroy the 60+ year old transmission... assuming it's not junk anyway.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:25 PM   #6
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by imakedacookies View Post
I kind of understand the concept of shifting at the correct rpms and double clutching and all that, but never actually drove one.
You'll get the feel of it pretty quickly. You may or may not have to double-clutch until you try to downshift while rolling. Shifting up through the pattern is seldom a big problem.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:09 PM   #7
imakedacookies
AF Regular

Ok, I just wanna be double sure I don't destroy rhetoric transmission trying to learn. I'm proficient with a newer manual.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
chevy , clueless
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Chevrolet Classics