Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > DeLorean > General Discussion
View Poll Results: what?
best cars made 24 40.00%
worst made 7 11.67%
they ok 24 40.00%
im indeifferent 5 8.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 02:40 AM   #61
Marc-OS
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Marc-OS Send a message via AIM to Marc-OS
Re: Re: What do u think of deloreans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmit001
how hard and how expensive would it be to change the doors on a normal car to gullwing doors?
Really hard and really expensive. You have to chop up the roof, and then you gotta re-enforce the roof so it can handle the weight of the doors. Then you have to take the doors, and weld in the sections of roof you cut out, then re-enforce those. After that you have to fabricate some hinges, and get those things that look like shocks (can't remember what they're called) and install those so the doors will stay up. I'm sure it could be done for like $5,000-$10,000 from a body shop.

4/8/04 - My CRX is officially dead, RIP Lucy
Marc-OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 02:09 PM   #62
Del O'rean
AF Newbie

dirk-diggler, I would like to reply to your coment about a lamborghini vs. a delorean. In that passage, you said that a delorean would never measure up to a "real sports car."(you said lamborghini diablo) i dont want to "burn" you when i say this but here is my story. My neighbors at my old home had a delorean. i envied that car since they bought it. it sat in their driveway getting rusted and destroyed. when the man died, his wife was getting rid of the car. she knew i liked the vehicle so she gave me a low ball price on the car. to my surprise, it was only $5,000. i told her that it was worth much more but she didnt mind so i took the deal. later that year, after i fixed all the body work, i took it to an expert to get the engine "fixed." i had superchargers added and every other possible sup-up imaginable. the bill came out to about $52,000. that, obviously was much more than i wanted to pay for it but i did,for 1 reason. the "fix", added horsepower to a total of 536 and the tourqe through the roof. i was amazed and couldn't believe it. i drove it to ohio to a salt flat where they allowed me to test its top speed. they clocked me at 0-60 3.5 seconds and 0-100 at a mere 8. my top speed is an unbelievable 223 miles per hour. driving it that fast got me dizzy but the moral of the story is that a lamborghini can't or can barely do that. so whats a "real sports car"? A car that can get you to the top, while saving you over $140,000. Please, don't say that deloreans arent and cant be sports cars.
Del O'rean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 01:15 AM   #63
DMC12
DeLorean Guy

Re: What do u think of deloreans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del O'rean
so whats a "real sports car"? A car that can get you to the top, while saving you over $140,000. Please, don't say that deloreans arent and cant be sports cars.
Well stated, Del But I wouldn't give much thought to his post... he was banned from these forums
Old 05-08-2004, 03:19 PM   #64
Dmc Knight
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: What do u think of deloreans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-OS
I think Deloreans were the coolest cars ever made. Seriously, I'd take a Delorean over a Porche, or a Viper any day. The only complaint I ever had with the Delorean was its serious lack of power, and no cup holders. Everything else is great. Especially the gull wing doors, oh how I miss those gull wing doors(You never realize it until you're stuck with a normal car).
I could not agree more I'm 16 years old and I've already joined the Delorean Owners Club Uk because I've wanted one ever since my uncles friend drove one to my house when I was only 4 year of age.
I don't mind the that it only has 145hp but if you where doing fast in a delorean no one would get a chance to fall in love with it.
Dmc Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 03:21 PM   #65
Dmc Knight
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: What do u think of deloreans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-OS
Really hard and really expensive. You have to chop up the roof, and then you gotta re-enforce the roof so it can handle the weight of the doors. Then you have to take the doors, and weld in the sections of roof you cut out, then re-enforce those. After that you have to fabricate some hinges, and get those things that look like shocks (can't remember what they're called) and install those so the doors will stay up. I'm sure it could be done for like $5,000-$10,000 from a body shop.
Those thing that look like shock are struts
Dmc Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 11:46 AM   #66
Alfasudcrazy
AF Newbie

How do you clean a Delorean - I guess you get a brillo (wire wool) pad just like a stainless steel pot

Always liked DeLoreans - well im from Ireland where they were made and we were right proud of them and so dissapointed when the factory closed

I never saw one in real life though so im only relying on pictures and tv.

Last edited by Alfasudcrazy; 12-28-2004 at 04:26 PM.
Alfasudcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:02 PM   #67
Sham365

i still like the delorean. something about it makes it timeless.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:23 PM   #68
DMC3472
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to DMC3472 Send a message via MSN to DMC3472 Send a message via Yahoo to DMC3472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfasudcrazy
How do you clean a Delorean - I guess you get a brillo (wire wool) pad just like a stainless steel pot

Always liked DeLoreans - well im from Ireland where they were made and we were right proud of them and so dissapointed when the factory closed

I never saw one in real life though so im only relying on pictures and tv.
Eurofest happens every 4 years near Dunmurry - check out http://www.delorean-owners.org/events/index.html the next one should be this upcoming summer, and there should be a good number of DeLoreans back at their birth site.

Also, usually want to avoid using steel wool on the stainless steel, the steel wool will actually get imbedded in the stainless and can rust causing damabe to the body panels. Usually a soft clooth with some car shampoo is good enough to clean the car, and you can use a scotch-brite (or other blending pad) to get out any scratches in the car.
work out the way I expected. . .And I'm sure it's not
going to be the last.
--John Z DeLorean
DMC3472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 02:40 PM   #69
Tony Stewart Fan
AF Regular

I always wanted to see one of these in person. When i was little, i thought my uncle's car was a Delorean b/c it had similar doors...it wasn't.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:22 PM   #70
ct91rs
AF Enthusiast

..i used to think 88mph was faster than lightning.
ct91rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:27 PM   #71
homergonerson
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to homergonerson Send a message via MSN to homergonerson Send a message via Yahoo to homergonerson

what do I think? well... i personally have never seen a more kick ass car... the gull-wing doors, the paintless, rustless body, the near mirror-like surface, the look, the awesomeness.... i can't stand it... i can't stand not owning one.... ::drools::
homergonerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 10:03 PM   #72
DMC-12
AF Newbie

The De Lorean DMC-12 is my favorite car, and I would rather have one than anything else, no matter how exotic. I will buy one as soon as I have the means to (no exceptions!) and I will use it. I can live with its minor flaws.

Ignore the thing in my profile that says I have one… they made me put something, and I don't own a car right now.
DMC-12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:11 PM   #73
donutshopguy
AF Newbie

Looking at purchasing a Delorean for personal use. Any specific things to look for good or bad when going over a car? Thanks for any help.
donutshopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 03:47 PM   #74
G-man422
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to G-man422
BEAutiful
G-man422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 09:42 PM   #75
Wazzunyc
AF Newbie

I think whhat makes them great cars is that they are different. I've never driven one, but how can you argue with gull-wing doors?
Wazzunyc is offline   Reply With Quote