Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Quest | Presage | Serena
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
dcozzvan
AF Newbie

1995 nissan quest xe 3.0 starting problem

hi there i have a 95 quest and i do some mechanic work i bought the van for cheap in my opinion and ive replaced the (MAS) mass airflow sensor, the fuel pump, the wires were replaced and i did the plugs i droped the tank cleaned it and when i changed the fuel pump because the other one died it ran fine but the float was off and said no fuel i know there is over half a tank i put it up by hand and it drove great then wouldn't start in a parking lot so i put it on flat ground and it started but was sluggish n tried shutting off got home and checked my plugs, replaced the distributor rotor, and cleaned the cap, cleaned the o2 sensor, cleaned the air intake and throttle body and checked all the vac lines made sure there was gas flowing and spark but it just turns over and wont start my (TPS) throttle position sensor makes a click noise constant until i unplug it n plug it back in any thoughts on why it wont run
any help or thoughts are appreciated. thank you
dcozzvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1995 nissan quest xe 3.0 starting problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcozzvan View Post
hi there i have a 95 quest and i do some mechanic work i bought the van for cheap in my opinion and ive replaced the (MAS) mass airflow sensor, the fuel pump, the wires were replaced and i did the plugs i droped the tank cleaned it and when i changed the fuel pump because the other one died it ran fine but the float was off and said no fuel i know there is over half a tank i put it up by hand and it drove great then wouldn't start in a parking lot so i put it on flat ground and it started but was sluggish n tried shutting off got home and checked my plugs, replaced the distributor rotor, and cleaned the cap, cleaned the o2 sensor, cleaned the air intake and throttle body and checked all the vac lines made sure there was gas flowing and spark but it just turns over and wont start my (TPS) throttle position sensor makes a click noise constant until i unplug it n plug it back in any thoughts on why it wont run
any help or thoughts are appreciated. thank you

How many miles on vehicle? Does it have the proper amount of oil in it??
Is the low level light on?? You changed rotor and cleaned distibutor cap but did you check for any brownish dust on the optical sensor?? Does it matter if the engine is cold or at normal operating temp when not starting? Have you changed fuel filter since changing fuel pump?? How did you clean 02 sensor?? The throttle position sensor could be faulty, they are a wear item.

pm sent
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
dcozzvan
AF Newbie

179k miles yes oil is good the low fuel light is on but i know there is more fuel than half a tank it doesnt matter what temp to start fuel filter is clean n pumping to engine its on my firewall so easy accesses and i sprayed the o2 sensor down it wasn't dirty but did it anyways and under the distributor cap looked new not a spec of dust im going to put it on ramps in the front and see if the fuel float is the problem ill let you know if it starts
Old 04-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
179k miles yes oil is good the low fuel light is on but i know there is more fuel than half a tank it doesnt matter what temp to start fuel filter is clean n pumping to engine its on my firewall so easy accesses and i sprayed the o2 sensor down it wasn't dirty but did it anyways and under the distributor cap looked new not a spec of dust im going to put it on ramps in the front and see if the fuel float is the problem ill let you know if it starts
The optical sensor ( camshaft sensor) is in the distributor, you have to take the rotor off (make sure when you reinstall that the bolt hoding rotor is on tight), then you need to remove the cover over the sensor to see if there is any dust on it or not. If dust is present the bearing is going out on the shaft and the distributor needs to be replaced. Have you checked the coil? I am not sure but I would not think the low fuel light would keep the engine from running. Is the check engine light on?

Do you have good strong spark when cranking??? When you checked the spark plugs where they dry or wet?? Is rotor centered on the #1 contact on the distributor cap when on tdc?? ( curious if timing belt jumped a tooth)

Did you try starting when you had the 02 out for cleaning to eliminate a clogged cat???

Last edited by tempfixit; 04-07-2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: more questions
Old 04-09-2011, 01:07 AM   #5
dcozzvan
AF Newbie

hmmm well it starts now here to find out there was a tank issue and it drained most of my gas but i got it running and now it tries to die out and if i move the tps it runs great then starts messing up until i move it again and no cat on it the optical is clean looks new it gets great spark and now fuel and the plugs are dry but not gunked up also when it has its fit it either pulses between 1500 rpm and 2000 rpm or if it bogs i just barely press the gas and it maintains speed up to 30mph and when it tries to die i have to pump the gas and it all goes away after i adjust the tps and the tps doesn't come loose
Old 04-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
hmmm well it starts now here to find out there was a tank issue and it drained most of my gas but i got it running and now it tries to die out and if i move the tps it runs great then starts messing up until i move it again and no cat on it the optical is clean looks new it gets great spark and now fuel and the plugs are dry but not gunked up also when it has its fit it either pulses between 1500 rpm and 2000 rpm or if it bogs i just barely press the gas and it maintains speed up to 30mph and when it tries to die i have to pump the gas and it all goes away after i adjust the tps and the tps doesn't come loose

Have you cleaned and checed the IAC??? Not sure if I understand correctly, are you saying the tps works properly now since you adjusted and tightened it???????? If not does it ohm to specs, if not rep;lace TPS.
You could also unhook the pre cat 02 sensor and see if the rpms's still dance around. any cel codes? Have you checked the timing? (15* BTC)
Old 04-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
dcozzvan
AF Newbie

OK so i cleaned the iac out and it runs and idles at 1500 rpm to 2000 rpm it accelerates great now but when i break at a light or stop sign it stalls out so once again its getting better but not fixed and im lost i appreciate the help on this
Old 04-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
OK so i cleaned the iac out and it runs and idles at 1500 rpm to 2000 rpm it accelerates great now but when i break at a light or stop sign it stalls out so once again its getting better but not fixed and im lost i appreciate the help on this
Have you checked to make sure the solenoid on the IAC is working properly?
Old 04-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #9
dcozzvan
AF Newbie

How do i check that and it seems the stalling while in drive and stoping is going in and out
Old 04-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
How do i check that and it seems the stalling while in drive and stoping is going in and out
Her is a link all about IAV:

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/IA-hTau...0%26%20FIC.pdf

Link for TPS adjustment:

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/IA-hTdz...bout%20TPS.pdf
Old 04-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Have you gotten it fixed??
Old 01-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #12
Pathfinder_95
AF Newbie

Hello, I have a 95 pathfinder with 3.0 and it just cranks and doesn't even try to fire. Getting spark to plugs, changed ICU and distributor and it ran for a week but have no power until you got to 3000 RPM then it just cranked without starting so put another distributor in and ran perfect for 10 days and now back to just cranking again. They have been used parts.
Pathfinder_95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #13
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder_95 View Post
Hello, I have a 95 pathfinder with 3.0 and it just cranks and doesn't even try to fire. Getting spark to plugs, changed ICU and distributor and it ran for a week but have no power until you got to 3000 RPM then it just cranked without starting so put another distributor in and ran perfect for 10 days and now back to just cranking again. They have been used parts.
Welcome to the forum.

What happens if you spray carb cleaner in the throttle body, will it run or not???? Are you getting fuel??? Are you getting spark??? If I understand you correctly, 2 different distributors have been installed. Have you tested the ignition switch not the ignition key clyinder but the switch itself. Is check engine light on????

You may want to start a new thread also in the Pathfinder section of this forum.