Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Cougar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #1
gth693y
AF Newbie

2001 Cougar 2.0L 4cyl 5speed manual, overheat and more

The original symptoms were massive engine overheating followed by non-responsive or very jerky accelerator response. Trip to the mechanic said it was likely a leaky head gasket or cracked head, but that the quoted repair would be greater than the value of the car. Said if we had the time and gumption it was something we could do ourselves. So after dissembling to that point, we took the head gasket back up to the mech who said it didn't look like any cross cylinder leaking was happening through it, and had the head pressurized that determined the head was not compromised. All four pistons have some carborization on the piston faces, the number 3 cylinder has a touch of rust on the piston face, and upon dropping the oil pan there appears to be water/coolant in the oil (segregated bluish liquid in the oil pan).

My question is: Does anyone have any ideas on what's wrong? Where do I go from here? It's a fair bit greater job to drop the pistons out to look at the cylinders more/change the piston rings, but if I've come this far and that holds the possibility of fixing the problem I'll try it. Or do I just clean what I can from where I am, replace gasket, put it back together, and pray?
gth693y is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
cougar , overheat
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Cougar