Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > 300C | SRT8
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
saderic
AF Newbie

Windy city blues 300c wont start in 35 below wind chill

This mornig I could not remote start my 300c, so I went outside to start it. nothing. I tried jumping the car it still would not start had good power but just made a click noise. I even tried heat and 2 gallons of gas, nothing same click noise. Its really cold in my town. the car worked fine until now. Could anyone tell me what to look for. When I finnally made it to church this morning other people said they could not start their cars and trucks and believed it was a problem with their remote start system. thanks
saderic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #2
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Re: Windy city blues 300c wont start in 35 below wind chill

I've never seen a remote start cause a no start condition. You may want to have the battery and cables checked. Many of the Dodge/Chrysler vehicles don't like to have a weak battery. Take a broom stick with you and a friend and have one turn over the car while you tap on the starter at the same time
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
saderic
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchonutty
I've never seen a remote start cause a no start condition. You may want to have the battery and cables checked. Many of the Dodge/Chrysler vehicles don't like to have a weak battery. Take a broom stick with you and a friend and have one turn over the car while you tap on the starter at the same time

The dealer said I have two batteries and I could jump one off the other.The one in the front only has a positive and I dont have long enough cables to reach the one in the trunk so I tried to jump it off my camero. I had to tap the starter in the camero about amonth ago and it been ok. Ill try tommorrow to tap the 300c starter. Hopefully its in the same place the camero starter is.
Thanks for your reply.
saderic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:11 PM   #4
Dodge_SRT
AF Newbie

in the cold u might possibly want a block heater so it will warm the oil and other parts so it will turn over i live in canada with -45C weatherand ill plug it in and will start fine and i have a 07 ram
Dodge_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Lots of new cars sold in cold locations come with a block heater from the factory. You may have one in your car now and not know it. Look around under the hood for a 3-prong plug. If you do not have one, its easy to install.

I would also suggest an electric battery blanket, the kind that plugs into a household outlet. Batteries lose half their cranking power in sub-zero weather. When they are warmed up, even just a little, they regain much of their cranking power.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque

Cars sold in Chicago typically don't come with an engine block heater unless you ask for it. It was unusually cold there last week.
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #7
GaryB72
AF Newbie

The Canadians are giving you the right ideas. I live in Saskatoon, SK, Canada and -40 is not unusual. I have 1988 Chrysler Fifth Ave with a battery blanket and block heater. I have started this car with temperatures in the -20sC without plugging it in but I also have a battery with the maximum cold cranking power. One of these would also help those of you with cold weather problems. I don't have a remote starter but I have one I'm going to install.

The last time I had a clicking problem I had to install a re-manufactured starter but if a lot of you are getting the clicking it may not be your problem but you probably need a topnotch battery. I have never had a problem with a good starter clicking in cold weather. Perhaps the cars shipped to Canada have better starters for winter. Check with your dealer.

For cold weather problems, ask those of us living in Prairie Canada. We promise not to laugh, Don't ask those in B.C. unless they are from the prairies. We do laugh at them especially when they have a problem with snow(just having a little fun here).

Gary Bouskill
GaryB72 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > 300C | SRT8