Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Other Cars
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 10:44 PM   #46
sgraber
AF Newbie

Re: Build your own car from SCRATCH?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supervisor1886
Man, People like You built the USA. You make proud.

The only thing is that your choice of the engine here seems nice (the numbers are pretty good and its light), but not a v8? Even if you dont want a v8 why not at least a 4.3 vortec-a six- maybe some turbo and you will be making lotsa hp staying pretty light.
Thanks, I really appreciate that.

You're right a V8 would be awesome. And the Northstar will fit just fine. Also any of the v-6's would fit no problem either. The key about my car, and it's one that if you know about the Elise you might understand, is that the ultra-light weight will give INCREDIBLE performance out of smaller engines. This car weighs only 1,400Lbs when completed. And without bodywork and it interior weighs only 1,126Lbs! With a V8 and all that torque you would have a very very hard time keeping the tires from spinning all the time. Seriously. I think that 250HP and 200Lb/ft torque is a power level that will blow away almost every single production car in the world.

I've had so much interest in the car that I am starting to put together all the items required to make a kit for it. So if you want to put a V8 in it, I can get you started on that path. Realize that I don't have anything to sell just yet, but if you sign up on my website I will keep you informed when I get closer to production.

I'm building the car of my dreams...
La Bala - A Lightweight Sports Car for Street and Track
http://www.grabercars.com/
sgraber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:57 AM   #47
sgraber
AF Newbie

Here's an update for you. I've finished working on the plug and am now laying up the molds. I've written some new diary entries explaining what the process is and how a am doing it. http://www.grabercars.com

Old 04-09-2006, 12:04 PM   #48
sgraber
AF Newbie

BTW - This is what the plug looked like before I started laying up the production molds over top of it.

Looks pretty cool huh? Kinda like a skunkworks stealth fighter! You can right-click on the image below and make desktop wallpaper out of it.

Old 04-25-2006, 05:00 PM   #49
GreyGoose006
AF Enthusiast

This is all just AMAZING...
all i can say is WOW, and for 5,000!!!
looks like a hot-rod solstice, on steroids.

supervisor, a V8 would be awesome, but you would probly need AWD to handle the torque.

theres an idea, a Mid-engined, V8 powered, AWD, Custom built, racer, all for under 10,000, and under 2,000 Lbs.
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GreyGoose006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:19 PM   #50
NewyorkKopter
AF Enthusiast

wow thats awesome. I was just wondering, how much is the car going to cost you from start to finish?
Old 05-30-2006, 05:05 AM   #51
mmcleo11
AF Regular

WOW, man. I am REALLY impressed. I can see that a LOT of time, effort and $$ has gone into your car. Nice choice on the 4AGE engine, there is also the 4AGZE supercharged version and also a DOHC 5 valve per cylinder with quad throttle bodies version of this motor that would bolt straight up!! Both engines make over 160Hp from a 1.6L!!
I should also mention the ECOTEC motor that was listed on a previous page is actually a 2L motor if it has a 86mm bore and 86mm stroke. It would still be a awesome setup!!

I am about to begin constructing my own vehicle as well. I bought a wreck on a Autobacs Garaiya from Japan and plan to swap over the good bits into a custom built all alloy frame, coil over suspension, rose jointed suspension arms and some very well developed brakes

I also follow the light weight = great car philosophy. I am aiming for 800Kg(1760Lbs) from my car as our local laws require that engine capacity is directly related to minimum weight of the vehicle. My donor car was also rear engine, 6 speed manual RWD from the factory so I got a big bonus there

I have an SR20VET engine to be fitted, with 276Hp@crankshaft in standard form. My final goal is extracting close to 800Hp from the engine with performance to shame anything this side of a Bugatti Quad-turbo W16 Veyron!

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and let you know that I def appreciate your work. It has given me some great ideas to incorporate into my draft design.

Thanks again.

Smashed Black VY SS Ute
The workhorse...
Twin turbo 5.7L LS1
Boyd Coddington 19" Turbine Wheels
AP Racing 4 Piston Brakes
Tein Coil over Suspension
HKS EVC 6 Boost Controller
PLX Devices DM-200 OBDII
Custom Front Mount Intercooler
mmcleo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:42 PM   #52
sgraber
AF Newbie

mmcleo, if you need any help with anything just let me know. I am not a professional, but I do have a little bit of experience now.

This little car would rock'nroll with so many different engines. That's why I built it to accept almost any FWD drivetrain, plus big-bore bike engines.

Building a chassis from scratch using my proven cost-saving methods such as shopping for used items on ebay, buying steel from a salvage yard, purchasing the donor car at an insurance auction for next to nothing and ABOVE ALL doing all the work yourself would cost less than $5,000 total. (including tools!) But the problem is that people are lazy. Well that's not a problem really. Just replace labor with $. And creativity with $. And patience with $. The cost can easily go into the 10's of thousands if you had someone design and build the car for you. What kind of sacrifices are YOU willing to make?

The real cost that can't be avoided is the bodywork. I am going to have to sell bodies and kits just to pay the bill! Mould making is not for the weak or meek.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:20 AM   #53
NewyorkKopter
AF Enthusiast

oh, so how much would it be if I were to hire someone to make me a custom tube chassis that can handle 800 hp with 800 ft.lbs of torque? Also how much would the bodywork have cost if you hired someone to make it for you?
Old 06-16-2006, 11:08 AM   #54
sgraber
AF Newbie

NewyorkKopter, There are tons of places that can fabricate a chassis to support the Hp/Tq figures you are quoting. Many, many lambo replica chassis are already capable of that and you can just order one and be done.

Your bodywork question is too open-ended to be able to answer it. Are u providing a 3d design that is ready to be cnc'd? a couple of sketches? do you know the dimensions and all of the specifics for the detail work? I guess what I am trying to say is this: When you build it yourself, you can afford to spend as much time as you want making changes and tweaking things and you will get the product as you envision it. If you hire someone or some company to make it for you, then you either give them exact and specific details on what you want in the form of cad drawings, or you constantly make changes to their work. If every hour of someones labor is going to cost you $45, then how many hours can you afford before you say "NO MAS!" ... It might be completely open ended! Just depends on what you want and how many compromises you are willing to make?

Hard material costs for making the mold are over $10K

Old 06-16-2006, 01:33 PM   #55
NewyorkKopter
AF Enthusiast

oh, point taken, but I'd be able to supply them with a 3d model of the car exactly how I would want it to be...then how much would it be?
Old 06-16-2006, 03:48 PM   #56
sgraber
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewyorkKopter
oh, point taken, but I'd be able to supply them with a 3d model of the car exactly how I would want it to be...then how much would it be?
Remember, I built my own car. I have no experience with companies that fabricate this stuff. But just for shits and giggles check out the car 9DP1) built by Dennis over at www.dpcars.net . I think he spent over 30K having the moulds made for his project. He supplied a company with 3D files. I don't know if his cost included getting the first car out of the molds, or if that was more.

Old 06-17-2006, 07:35 AM   #57
NewyorkKopter
AF Enthusiast

oh, thanks. that body looks like its carbon fiber So how much is your car going to cost you from start to finish?
Old 06-20-2006, 06:53 PM   #58
kevinthenerd
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgraber
Thanks, I really appreciate that.

You're right a V8 would be awesome. And the Northstar will fit just fine. Also any of the v-6's would fit no problem either. The key about my car, and it's one that if you know about the Elise you might understand, is that the ultra-light weight will give INCREDIBLE performance out of smaller engines. This car weighs only 1,400Lbs when completed. And without bodywork and it interior weighs only 1,126Lbs! With a V8 and all that torque you would have a very very hard time keeping the tires from spinning all the time. Seriously. I think that 250HP and 200Lb/ft torque is a power level that will blow away almost every single production car in the world.

I've had so much interest in the car that I am starting to put together all the items required to make a kit for it. So if you want to put a V8 in it, I can get you started on that path. Realize that I don't have anything to sell just yet, but if you sign up on my website I will keep you informed when I get closer to production.
The thing is, too, that the ECOTEC motor is very versatile with GM parts. If you pick up the "GM Sport Compact Performance Build Book" (available online for free), you can build up the stock ECOTEC motor into just about any power you can imagine. The stock internals can handle 250hp reliably (or 350 hp at their breaking point). The build book shows you how to build the motor up in stages...

stock to 250hp
250 to 400
400 to 600
600 to 1000
1000 to 1400

It's insane.

kevinthenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:29 PM   #59
kevinthenerd
AF Regular

I found the build book online for you:

http://www.gm.com/company/gmtunersou...build_book.htm

What I'm going to do for body work myself is to just use a donor. I want to make my car look bone stock, preferably something that's really slow like a Civic or something. I want to make a sleeper.

On the other hand, I think a good donor body would be a 300zx simply because I love the styling of the front end. As far as engine donors, I think I like the idea of a longitudinal mid-engine, like if you use a Miata or RX-7 drivetrain with a shorter driveshaft or something. I don't know yet.

If I'm creative enough, nothing says I can't mix and match my favorite front end with some other back end, but it'll be hard to not make this look obvious or ghettofied.

kevinthenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:55 PM   #60
Mr Wiggl3s
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Mr Wiggl3s

Nice, its good to see that your still updating.
Mr Wiggl3s is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Other Cars