Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #1
SeanyG
AF Enthusiast

WIP: 1970 'Gulf' Porsche 917K

I've been chomping at the bit to get this one underway, not that I didnt enjoy the Lotus build but this is up there with the Alitalia Stratos as one of my all time favourites in motorsport.

I've posted another thread here asking for a little help with research for this one so if anyone can help out I'd be eternally gratefull.

So anyway, as you can see its the 1/24 Fujimi Gulf 917k. I've never built a Fujimi kit before and I have to say Im very impressed, it seems easily as good as a Tamiya/Hasegawa kit, although obviously I dont know what the fit is going to be like so I guess I'll have to wait an see.

You all know me by now and building OOB is just not in my nature, so in line with my other builds this is going to be detailed. I picked up from Hobby Link Japan the corrected rear engine cover (the kit version is too narrow as the car for the 1970 season had wider arches at the back - see pic below the differences between the width of the two parts).

I also bought some resin doors from Scale Decals and also the superb Renaissance detail kit which includes 4 lovely etch sheets and a set of stunning brake discs and resin calipers, just to be sure I added S27 and Acustion sets too (overkill I know!).

As for references so far I have picked up John Allen's 'Super Profile' book and the Motorsport in Detail CD of the 917 however I was a little dissapointed with both and leave alot to be desired in terms of useful detail pics.

Finally, the kit shell, resin rear deck and resin doors, will try and get the olds ones cut out tonight.

As I said any help with references for this form anyone would be really appreciated.

http://www.scalereproductions.co.uk

WIP: Ferrari F40
SeanyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
davesans
AF Enthusiast

Re: WIP: 1970 'Gulf' Porsche 917K

Here we go again great start Sean
Here are some links I for I might have already seen them

http://www.atspeedimages.com/pebble_..._porsche_917k/

I will also check a book I have there are lots of pictures of this car I think mostly track shots
Old 03-10-2007, 09:06 PM   #3
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

Hey I've just started building one of these too! Except I'll be doing the car from Steve McQueen's movie "Le Mans" that is a little bit different. Do you know about the HRM resin engine transkit? Good luck with your build, I'm sure you'll be finished way before I am.

Regarding references, below is a link to a gallery of a 917K rebuilt by Gunnar Racing. Maybe not period accurate but mighty impressive all the same.
http://www.pbase.com/917carl/car_returns&page=all
RallyRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:35 AM   #4
Ant Phillips
AF Newbie

Hi Sean,

Great subject, I've been thinking of getting a 917 to add to my growing sports-prototype collection, I shal be following this build with great interest.

Happy modelling
Ant
Ant Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:07 AM   #5
auw12
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to auw12

Great project Sean! That's my favourite porsche! Can't wait to see more!
auw12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:38 AM   #6
SeanyG
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyRaider
Hey I've just started building one of these too! Except I'll be doing the car from Steve McQueen's movie "Le Mans" that is a little bit different. Do you know about the HRM resin engine transkit? Good luck with your build, I'm sure you'll be finished way before I am.

Regarding references, below is a link to a gallery of a 917K rebuilt by Gunnar Racing. Maybe not period accurate but mighty impressive all the same.
http://www.pbase.com/917carl/car_returns&page=all
Phil,

I've been reading up over the last few days on the car and as far as I can see the no.20 car is the Steve McQueen car - right? We may end up building the same versions here Im afraid - apologies for that.

No I didnt know about the engine transkit - I simply have to get hold of one of them - so you know what my next question is going to be, yip... where do I get one from?

Thanks for the link - I had already been tipped off about that one and your absolutely right what an impressive project it is - still usefull too thanks again.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:54 AM   #7
SeanyG
AF Enthusiast

Phil,

stand down on my last question about the transkit, Racing Miniatures and Island Collectibles both have the kit - my orders just about to wing its way to one of them, cant wait for that to arrive!

So how far have yhou got with your project, just had a quick look but could find a thread on here?

Old 03-11-2007, 04:12 AM   #8
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

From what I’ve been able to glean, the number 20 Gulf 917K was represented by three different cars in the film. Firstly the real JWA car that was actually raced at Le Mans 1970 by Sieffert and Redman. Second a more "normal" 917K that the filmmakers purchased from Porsche and painted up to represent the Sieffert/Redman car. And finally a Lola T-70 with fake 917K body work for the crash scene.

I intend to build the "movie car" that is seen in the bulk of the film with McQueen actually driving. There are several small differences between the two, like McQueen's car has the normal narrow rear wheel arches and slightly bolder numbering. Also the Gulf stickers tend to move around during the course of the film!

I bought my HRM transkit from Kevin at Strada Sports - highly recommend his services.

As for a progress thread, I’ve barely begun so there isn't any yet. Now you are blazing the trail it'll save me the effort.

EDIT: removed all reference to chassis numbers because a quick check found nobody seems to agree which was which!
RallyRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:17 AM   #9
Decs0105
AF Enthusiast

great project Sean. I will follow this with great interest!
Decs0105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:00 AM   #10
godfather23
AF Enthusiast

Great project. I build the car once but in the Hippie-Version. Found the fitment very pleasant except for the rear bonnet. But you will replace this anyway, so no worries about that. Good luck and make sure to share as much progress as possible.

Robert
Ferrari 250 GTO LM 1962 (chassis #3387)
godfather23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:49 PM   #11
SeanyG
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyRaider
From what I’ve been able to glean, the number 20 Gulf 917K was represented by three different cars in the film. Firstly the real JWA car that was actually raced at Le Mans 1970 by Sieffert and Redman. Second a more "normal" 917K that the filmmakers purchased from Porsche and painted up to represent the Sieffert/Redman car. And finally a Lola T-70 with fake 917K body work for the crash scene.

I intend to build the "movie car" that is seen in the bulk of the film with McQueen actually driving. There are several small differences between the two, like McQueen's car has the normal narrow rear wheel arches and slightly bolder numbering. Also the Gulf stickers tend to move around during the course of the film!

I bought my HRM transkit from Kevin at Strada Sports - highly recommend his services.

As for a progress thread, I’ve barely begun so there isn't any yet. Now you are blazing the trail it'll save me the effort.

EDIT: removed all reference to chassis numbers because a quick check found nobody seems to agree which was which!
Phil,

thats cleared up a question I had about the '20' car - I have watched the film twice over the last two days and noticed differences in the car during the film, I did intend to build the 'McQueen' car however I think I will go with the Sieffert/Redman version.
I have been surprised at the lack of actual pictures of the 'number 20' Gulf car to use as reference material, considering it is such as famous car... as for the chassis numbers yeah your right they seem to have changed around countless times.
If I can help you out with any pictures drop me a line - The Motorsport in Detail CD isnt bad and has a couple of decent pics on it which may help.

Oh and I've ordered the engine from Strada Sports, this project is getting bigger by the second.

Oh why can I just build these beauties OOB

Old 03-11-2007, 03:58 PM   #12
robrex
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to robrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesaint111
great project Sean. I will follow this with great interest!
Me too!

robrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:59 PM   #13
SeanyG
AF Enthusiast

first update...

finally (took ages) got the doors cut off and the shell opened up. This was extremely fragile as you can see by the pic there are four points where there is very little plastic holding everything together (top of windscreen surround and hinges for rear canopy) but I took it really gently and the thing held together, I am going to add a couple of strengthening sections under these areas though just to be safe. To cut out the doors I used Crazy Modelers etch saw set - highly recommended this to all!

Dry fitting the top and base together, with the doors open you can see just how much will show inside the cockpit, makes it all worth while as I have alot planned for in there.

OK, first little problem - the resin doors are poor - they are way too thick and also a slightly different height - I just dont think its worth the effort to clean these up. Im really glad I didnt make a mess of the plastic kit versions as I will now use them instead.

The little piece is called the Daytona Window, for the Daytona Races the 917 had an extra window fitted at the top of the roof so when the cars were on the steep banked curves the drivers had a better view ahead - for this version the car didnt have this window so this will need attaching and filling.

... a bit like this...

This is the front part of the floor section, the real car was built around a complex Aluminium Spaceframe and to replicate this I have decided to file off the moulded frame from the floor and replace it with a scratch built version.

After removing the moulded version here's my effort, I used the soldering iron to join them individual pieces after measuring them against the originals, the frame is actually straightened paper clips which proved to be just the right thickness.

thats the easier bit done - now to replace this bit...

gulp! seemed such a good idea at the time!!!!! May need to stock up on another box of paperclips. :-)

Old 03-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #14
robrex
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to robrex

Nice progress!

robrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:03 PM   #15
ScanmanDan
AF Newbie

Wow!

What a pleasure it is to watch how an enthusiastic master craftsman approuches his work. A great deal of fun to see just how you tackle each different detail and go about improving a kit. Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to document your modifications. It can't be easy to stop and photo each bit as you build it. Your sharp photos and clear explanations are an invaluable resource to learn from. Your posts and the comments left by others make great reading and beat a stuffy magazine article any day!

So many thanks again.

Dan
ScanmanDan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports