Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 1 Series
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 05:24 PM   #1
finally_retired
AF Enthusiast

Whats the point?

Ok, I've test driven one of these, and its not all that bad as a drivers car, but it seems to lack the luxury and charisma of other BMW's. I have to say, the photos do make it look ugly, but in the metal its not all that bad!

Do you think it is just a 5 door Mini?
finally_retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 08:00 PM   #2
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

The 1-Series is designed to destroy the VW Golf. The Golf is one of the best selling cars in the world, and BMW believes that it can steal some of that Market by selling a RWD alternitive. I would personally buy a 1-Series over the Golf or an A3 any day.
DinanM3_S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 05:48 AM   #3
finally_retired
AF Enthusiast

Ohhh. I got the impression it was like a 5 door version on the Mini, just filling in a market gap or somthing. If its up against the golf and A3, then its a deffinate no go 4 me. The quality of the golf and the audi are far superior to that of the 1 series, even if the ! is more entertaining to drive.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:18 AM   #4
Menu dei Motori
Click here

Send a message via ICQ to Menu dei Motori Send a message via AIM to Menu dei Motori Send a message via MSN to Menu dei Motori
the bmw 1 series is not designed for the american market.

it's a "cheap" bmw built to destroy the golf in the german market.

we will see if it works
Menu dei Motori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 05:04 AM   #5
SoulBladeZA
AF Newbie

Thumbs down Re: Whats the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by finally_retired
Ohhh. I got the impression it was like a 5 door version on the Mini, just filling in a market gap or somthing. If its up against the golf and A3, then its a deffinate no go 4 me. The quality of the golf and the audi are far superior to that of the 1 series, even if the ! is more entertaining to drive.
Actually it isn't. The A3 is based on the Golf, more than 60% of their parts are the same, including engines and the chassis. The BMW handles better, engine sounds better and the interior is VERY much better. You can spec a 1 series to almost 5 series interior level if you wish to do so. When the 130i and the M1 arrives, there won't be any real competition for it.
SoulBladeZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 07:44 PM   #6
finally_retired
AF Enthusiast

I know that the A3 and the Golf share the same parts, I just think that they are better than the BMW's. Especially on interior quality. I was astonished by the plasticy interior of the 1 when I glanced at it. As to your comment on specing the interior up to 5 series standard, with the cost involved in doing so, you may as well buy a 3 series! Its not the point to have all the bits on a 5 door family car.

I've already read 3 articles from 3 seperate publications, that pitched the new Golf GTi against a Civic Type R and a 120i (and one against the A3 3.2 Quattro), and the golf wone hands down every time with specific comendations regarding the interior ad built quality.

As far as the 130i and M1 go, How about the S3 3.2 DSG, and the Golf R34. Both will pump out well over 250bhp, both will be all wheel drive.

BMW need to be afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahjoob
Can anybody advise me on how to watch TV while driving in a BMW 750il 1999?
Old 11-12-2004, 01:56 PM   #7
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

According to a couple articles I've read, the M version of the 1 series should have a 300bhp V6 based on the 500bhp V10 from the M5. Where as the VW R32 is in the same price range as the WRX STi and the EVO VIII, and falls way too short, the projected "M1" should actaully be competition. Finally_Retired, it seems more and more that you hate BMW...

"I collect walnuts"
-Kimi Raikkonen on his hobbies outside of F1
DinanM3_S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 12:40 PM   #8
finally_retired
AF Enthusiast

...I own one!

And how can a V6 be based on a V10?

How much will the M1 cost? because the new Golf R34 is expected to retail at £26'000. Which is a pretty basic Evo/Suberu.

I don't dislike BMW, I love the 6 series. I've had a 745Li, and sent it back because of the pathetic I-drive, I drove a 120i out of boardom while I was waiting to speak to the dealer principal regarding faults on my X5 4.8 power stearing. I don't see the point in the M3. I adore the new 5, and the Z4, and I like the look of the new 3 series too. I just keep having problems with BMW's just lately. It pisses me off when people tell me that Mercedes have shocking quality issues, when I've never had a problem with mine, and I've owned one since 1964 and it still runs as sweet as a nut today.

Can you blame me for a little sinicism?

Quote:
Old 11-21-2004, 06:54 PM   #9
993cc
AF Regular

Re: Whats the point?

Quote:
It pisses me off when people tell me that Mercedes have shocking quality issues, when I've never had a problem with mine, and I've owned one since 1964 and it still runs as sweet as a nut today.
I believe those people are talking about models of late.... and *especially* as they present problems a 40 year old Mercedes used every day doesn't!

(we have a 1.5 year old W211 in the family still no problems if you wonder)
993cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 09:53 PM   #10
BMW_4.4i
AF Regular

Quote:
I've had a 745Li, and sent it back because of the pathetic I-drive
You send the 745Li back because of the I-Drive?!?! Wow. That makes everything so easy to use. I know first hand - a good friend of mine has one, a 745i acually. But it simplfies everything and I really do not understand what people do no "get" about the I-Drive. It is a wonderful innovation and should stay around and grow to more models.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:53 PM   #11
finally_retired
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Whats the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 993cc
I believe those people are talking about models of late.... and *especially* as they present problems a 40 year old Mercedes used every day doesn't!

(we have a 1.5 year old W211 in the family still no problems if you wonder)
Lets get one thing clear here. I have a Mercedes that I have owned since 1964. I also have a 1956 Gullwing that I brought in 1992. Neither have caused problems. I have also owned a 250CE, 450SEL, 450SL, 500SE, 560SL, 500SL, SL600, S600, E55, SL55, SL600, S500, and I now have an S600 and SL65 all with no problems. So there are cars from the 50's 60's 70's 80's and 90's there.

I did have an SL60 in '97 with an unexplicable rattle on the dash, and an '89 560SEL with faulty power stearing. Not too bad thoug all things considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_4.4i
You send the 745Li back because of the I-Drive?!?! Wow. That makes everything so easy to use. I know first hand - a good friend of mine has one, a 745i acually. But it simplfies everything and I really do not understand what people do no "get" about the I-Drive. It is a wonderful innovation and should stay around and grow to more models.
Well, not being fluent in german, I had a problem with it when it decided to present all of the infomation in English one minuite and German the next for no apparent reason whatsoever. I also found myself staring at the screen trying to navigate the menues rather than watching the road just to perform trivial tasks, and so decided it was unsafe. Give me an S class, and simple buttons anyday.

Quote:
Old 01-19-2005, 11:39 PM   #12
Volken
AF Regular

Quote:
Ok, I've test driven one of these, and its not all that bad as a drivers car, but it seems to lack the luxury and charisma of other BMW's. I have to say, the photos do make it look ugly, but in the metal its not all that bad! Do you think it is just a 5 door Mini?

Well, it is a segment that BMW could not afford to stay away from.
In fact considering the period Audi A2 is on the market, it was about time.

I think it is very elegant but as A3 is most profound car in this segment, and A2 is also undisputed in refined design and overall build quality...
1 is not as exquisite from design corner.

I drove friend?s 1 and it certainly has better handling then average A3, but not as bliss as S3

And it certainly offers less interior quality compared to A2 and A3

Anyone has link with 1 presentation in Top Gear or 5th Gear?
Old 01-20-2005, 08:21 AM   #13
993cc
AF Regular

Re: Re: Whats the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volken
In fact considering the period Audi A2 is on the market , it was about time.
Just about... Audi has long announced now that there won't be any replacement for the A2.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:24 AM   #14
Volken
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Whats the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 993cc
Just about... Audi has long announced now that there won't be any replacement for the A2.
Such declaration is always to be taken with reservation.

If certain car segment becomes promising and competition presents alarming sales (to competition car brand) you can be certain there will not only be A2 but in years to come even perhaps A1.

Remember Mercedes claims that would never build car below certain size and price range?

Soon as they've seen how lucrative was small car segment in EU, those words were forgotten as last winter's snow. BMW claimed the same and look at the new 1.

Profit is always the last dot that comes after such remarks

If they abandon A2 at some point...only lack of sales would determine such decision. But even then, they would probably dedicated more aggressive promotion before really sending A2 for departure.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:32 AM   #15
993cc
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Whats the point?

Well I'm sure Audi have considered all these arguments before making the announcement! And the announcement about the death of the A2 still stands as far as I know..

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 1 Series